Clothing sizes

This is a discussion on Clothing sizes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to wear my jeans up a size because I tend to carry a little extra junk in my trunk. Therefore there is always ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clothing sizes

I have to wear my jeans up a size because I tend to carry a little extra junk in my trunk. Therefore there is always extra room in the waist for my G22 in a kholster.

MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

2. Remove Ads

I went up one size in my work pants, but they were already tight. My non-work pants worked fine. I wear at about 4:00.

You'll just have to try and see before spending money on new pants.

It depends a a number of things, holster type, pants and belt size, and shirt size and type. Most pants come in even sizes (ie. 32, 34, 36....) if you are on the low side of the range you may be able to get away with no increase in size, however, if you are the high side of the range the next size up will work better. Next is where you wear your pants. Some wear pants with the belt at the waist while others wear them above or below the waist. Below the waist causes the most problems because this usually means an overhang which forces the butt of the gun outboard. However, with the right shirt you can overcome this because with the tent effect concealing the grip. The key thing to remember when concealing is that it is a whole package, the type of shirt and how it hangs can cover a multitude of issues with the pants. Most important is how tight the pants are around the holster, pants (and belts) which are too tight can often pinch the mouth of the holster making it difficult to draw when needed. In addition holster which are forced to bend to conform to the curve of the waist can also cause the holster to pinch. Wearing the holster in the SOB position, though not recommended, can relieve the tight pants issue. Also because of the way most shirts hanf from the shoulder blades it is easier to conceal when position behind the 3:00 position while ahead of the SOB. Working in the personal protection business for me clearing the weapon is primary so 1 size larger is the rule especially the belt. I don't know if this helps this is not all the factors but it is the most obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    I went up one size in my work pants, but they were already tight. My non-work pants worked fine. I wear at about 4:00.

You'll just have to try and see before spending money on new pants.
    Ditto for me. I carry an Officer's 45 in a Supertuck holster.
    NRA Life Member
    Indiana Lifetime permit holder
    USCCA member

I don't have to go with a larger size pants. When I switch from Glock to 1911 I cinch the belt up one notch tighter.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

In my personal experience carrying a 1911 one size larger pants work well. I also like pants with the elastic inserts so there is some flex in the waist. Also, the idea of taking your carry combo into the dressing room and trying on the pants and the gun at the same time also works well for me to get just the right size.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

PM
    I have found that I can put my gun IWB without adding size to pants. Currently though I am working on reducing the amount of me in the pants so there is more room for the gun. THe last set of pants I bought were 48's but I almost fit the 46's I bought just to see and to have to continue to lose. When I can get the 46's to fit I will re-reply with what I have to do. Belts I have about a two hole difference. So I go from about 47 inch holess without gun to 48 inch holes with gun.

I try to remember to wear my IWB holster when trying on new pants, though usually I end-up sizing up by one.

For sport coats and suit jackets, I like to have them made-to-measure for a shoulder holster on one side.

Jan Liberoul is probably THE expert on tailoring and concealer cary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links