Field trip to the zoo

This is a discussion on Field trip to the zoo within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Even if you could legally carry on the school bus, you would be breaking the law by getting out of your car and getting on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Field trip to the zoo

Distinguished Member
    Even if you could legally carry on the school bus, you would be breaking the law by getting out of your car and getting on the bus with your cc. In SC your gun must stay in your locked car when you get out on school property. I second the idea of taking your own car. Since, we have family in the area, when we have field trips to Columbia, we will go down the night before, stay with family and then meet the school group at the destination. Other times, the school will ask some parents to drive their own car to save space on the bus for students.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    I would play it safe and not carry. You don't want to be a test case.
    Semper Fi
    PS: Your best weapon is your brain.
    Great post. I just used my brain last night when taking my girlfriend to the emergency room. You have to pass through metal detectors and place any items you have in some container for the security guard to check. I keep my Kubaton on my key chain and I didn't want to catch any flack for having it at the hospital so I just left it in my car.

evo
    In Oregon you can carry on school grounds providing you have a CHL so I think a schoolbus wouldn't be an issue.
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia is a nicely landscaped area with lots of trees. It doesn't have the blatant theme park feel that a lot of zoos have, eating areas not withstanding. I go every year with my woman. As of last year, no metal detectors. The land is owned by South Carolina Electric and Gas, a SCANA Corporation company. They have leased the land to the zoo for 99 years. It is supported by the Riverbanks Society which is a state chartered, non-profit organization. That's all I've got.

I can't carry regardless, I reside in Georgia.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

In FL you can have the weapon in the vehicle while in the school's lot, but it becomes illegal when you exit that vehicle, and you certainly do not want to take the weapon into the building or onto a school bus.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Riverbanks is fine for ccw. I carry there all the time, probably 10 times a year since we have a membership. There are no signs posted at the main gate.

Either drive yourself or go empty handed. There isn't any middle ground here.

David

Even If the grounds are legal to carry,I think he would be in violation since he is part of a school function,kinda like carrying in an outdoor classroom
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I also have carried at Riverbanks a few times since I got my CCW, in fact it was one of the first places I carried in another state. I visit there over the NC Zoo even though I live in NC because I can carry there and not in NC (cannot carry where admission is charged- STUPID).

I would also try to drive myself if possible. We homeschool so I carry at school everyday and take my kids shooting during the school day too. :) Went to the range with one of my sons for an hour and half the other day mid day and was charged for 1/2 hour.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Well the trip to the zoo was taken unarmed. We had lunch in the picnic area that is located at the far right end of the parking lot. Noticed on the walk from the picnic area to the main entrance a no concealed weapons sign attached to the chain link fence at what looked to be some sort of employee entrance. Did not see any sighns like this near the main entrance, so if one did not pass by this sign you would never know it was posted. If you parked in the lot left of the main entrance you would not even pass by it in your car.

Distinguished Member
    Did the sign meet the legal requirements?

Actually it doesn't matter, according to state law all entrances have to be posted.

Of all the places around the zoo to carry your firearm the picnic area is number one. It used to be a really bad area a few years ago and they occasionally still have issues with lower life forms hanging around. Credit RCSO and the zoo for cleaning that area up.

About the other sign, I've seen that one too. Until they put one up at the main entrance it's not legal for patrons. Of course at that time I'll have to take my money (read yearly donations and all the money we spend on food and toys there) elsewhere.

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links