Easy to understand Virginia laws?

This is a discussion on Easy to understand Virginia laws? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Per case law I've read (do your own research or hire an attorney IANAL) you have no duty to retreat in your own home. You ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy to understand Virginia laws?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Per case law I've read (do your own research or hire an attorney IANAL) you have no duty to retreat in your own home. You have no duty to retreat if it will expose you to assault.
    Poke around here a bit.

And here.

Possession of a weapon on school grounds, as an employee, most likely a no-no that will get you fired but not criminally charged as long as it is kept secured in a vehicle. This will help.

The short list for permit holders (some of these are debatable but just don't do it):

No carry in: K-12 schools & buses (must remain concealed and in your vehicle), property used exclusively for K-12 functions, airport terminal buildings, churches without 'good and sufficient reason', courthouses, secure areas of police stations, jail & prison grounds, post office property and federal buildings, VCU, GMU, private property where prohibited.

No concealed carry in restaurants that serve alcohol unless you are owner/emplyee.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good discussion. Something more to think about...

EVERYTHING you do will be subject to detailed scrutiny and interpretation after the fact, by a da and possibly a grand jury with more than the few seconds you had to decide on your actions. What they believe will determine what course of action happens next. It can cost tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees through that process.

To answer the initial question of the OP, all of this goes to demonstrate the fact that the Virginia laws are not easy to understand. Please talk with a lawyer that specializes in this sort of thing and study codified law and case law on your own. Ask your local DA for assistance in finding resources or sites to study. It's a huge responsibility and as you can see from a group of people that have spent some time studying themselves, it's clear as mud.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    No concealed carry in restaurants that serve alcohol unless you are owner/emplyee.
    This should change within the next few weeks. A bill to repeal the restaurant ban has passed both houses in the VA legislature and is on the way to the governor's desk shortly.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lifehertz View Post
    This should change within the next few weeks. A bill to repeal the restaurant ban has passed both houses in the VA legislature and is on the way to the governor's desk shortly.
    Even when signed, it will not take effect until July 1.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member

No carry in: K-12 schools & buses (must remain concealed and in your vehicle), property used exclusively for K-12 functions, airport terminal buildings, churches without 'good and sufficient reason', courthouses, secure areas of police stations, jail & prison grounds, post office property and federal buildings, VCU, GMU, private property where prohibited. [emphasis added]
    True GMU's website and posters around campus sugest that they are Unarmed Victim Zones (a.k.a. gun free):

• If a person enters a building with a weapon immediately evacuate the building.
    • If a person is seen with a weapon outdoors, immediately seek shelter in the
    nearest building.
    • Contact University Police and provide as much information as possible about the situation.
    • Warn other people in the area, provide assistance as needed, and remain calm.
    • Locate a secure area or building and follow shelter in place procedures (above).
    • Follow instructions provided by emergency response personnel.

and

http://ehs.gmu.edu/guides/Workplacea...ceResponse.pdf

Persons who commit acts of violence tend to demonstrate or follow a pattern of behavior. If you observe the following behavior(s) and feel or observe others becoming intimidated, uncomfortable, or apprehensive, notify your supervisor or appropriate faculty member and relay your concern. The following behaviors, as outlined in GMU Workplace Violence Policy 2208, are not definitive indicators of violent individuals but rather characteristics that have been demonstrated by persons known to commit violent acts.

• Difficulty accepting authority or criticism
    • Argumentative or uncooperative behavior
    • Extremist opinions and attitudes
    • Sense of entitlement
    • Preoccupation with violent behavior or weapons
    However, to the best of my knowledge all carry CC & OC on GMU's campus is legal. Only students & employees are restricted by internal rules. They are the same as UVA & VT as far as I know.

Advising students to run inside and call 911 because someone is carrying a firearm not only causes unwarranted alarm, but also wastes resources that should be reserved for actual emergencies.

If you have any citation of Statutory or Administrative law that makes carry at GMU unlawful please post that reference.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Well it will be another year before we can try again for a statutory "Castle Doctrine."

See: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...mack-face.html
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

If you have any citation of Statutory or Administrative law that makes carry at GMU unlawful please post that reference.
    I have none, and I agree with you. I was basically quoting off the green card that VCDL sent me with my last renewal.
    Attached Images
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member

Exclamation

I have none, and I agree with you. I was basically quoting off the green card that VCDL sent me with my last renewal.
    Thanks for the information!

Wow How did I miss 8VAC35-60-20.

Possession of weapons prohibited.

Possession or carrying of any weapon by any person, except a police officer, is prohibited on university property in academic buildings, administrative office buildings, student residence buildings, dining facilities, or while attending sporting, entertainment or educational events. Entry upon the aforementioned university property in violation of this prohibition is expressly forbidden.
    One of the great things about this list is I am always learning something new.

GMU is more restrictive that VT & UVA,

However, I think it would be a trespass violation not a gun law violation -- as is it is "entry" is forbidden not "it is a level "x" misdemeanor or felony to...."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Per case law I've read (do your own research or hire an attorney IANAL) you have no duty to retreat in your own home. You have no duty to retreat if it will expose you to assault.
    Poke around here a bit.

And here.

Possession of a weapon on school grounds, as an employee, most likely a no-no that will get you fired but not criminally charged as long as it is kept secured in a vehicle. This will help.

The short list for permit holders (some of these are debatable but just don't do it):

No carry in: K-12 schools & buses (must remain concealed and in your vehicle), property used exclusively for K-12 functions, airport terminal buildings, churches without 'good and sufficient reason', courthouses, secure areas of police stations, jail & prison grounds, post office property and federal buildings, VCU, GMU, private property where prohibited.

When was GMU added? I only remember VCU...
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links