Summary Judgements and CCW in Pa.

This is a discussion on Summary Judgements and CCW in Pa. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was cited for disorderly conduct and public intoxication, first time in 45 years i ever had a summons or citation. can my CCw be ...

Thread: Summary Judgements and CCW in Pa.

Summary Judgements and CCW in Pa.

I was cited for disorderly conduct and public intoxication, first time in 45 years i ever had a summons or citation.

can my CCw be revoked if i am found or plead guilty?

2. Remove Ads

You need to read your state statutes on CCW for that info. Attorney General's site has it here in MO.

Mic
    Sounds like misdemeanor offenses, they shouldn't revoke your CCWP, but you be better off to check with the DA
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

A summary judgement is a pleading in a civil matter were you argue that because no facts are at issue, the case should be decided as a matter of law.

It has nothing to do with criminal law, or your CCW.

Please be more specific as to what occured if you'd like accurate feedback.

(No, I'm not trying to be a pain, I'm just trying to understand what happened...did you get arrested, a ticket, did you go to court..."summary judgement" is kind confusing here...)

i'm from PA, and in answer to your question: possibly. the sheriff has a level of discretion, under a character clause included in the application of the LTCF (which is what it's called).

a few people over the years have had their LTCF revoked for these reasons. usually, they got the decision overturned in county court.

if you haven't already received a letter of revocation, then your LTCF is still valid. go on about your business until you do, if you do. some sheriffs won't hold a DD/public drunk charge against you. others will. it depends on the sheriff. if you were in Philly, you'd be screwed. they'll use any excuse to revoke, even parking tickets. if you have your gun stolen out of your car, they'll revoke.

ccw = concealed carry weapon, just to remind you.

you might want to register at www.pafoa.org; it's a PA dedicated gun forum, and they have all gun related statutes for PA listed, plus many members have gone through this process of revocation and reinstatement, successfully. the biggest story was Meleanie Hain (RIP), who had her LTCF revoked for open carrying to a soccer game. she fought the decision, and got her license back.

My best advise to you would be to spend some money on an attorney.

I wouldn't want any sort of conviction such as drunk and disorderly conduct on my record if I could avoid it.

Cool

lark. You didn't say and nobody has asked. Were you carrying at the time of offense?

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    lark. You didn't say and nobody has asked. Were you carrying at the time of offense?
    it doesn't matter. there are absolutely no statutes in PA that makes carrying while drunk a summary offense; there isn't even a mention of it. if you were blind drunk, lying in a pool of your own vomit, carrying a gun won't add to or raise whatever you are charged with.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larkvalley View Post
    I was cited for disorderly conduct and public intoxication, first time in 45 years i ever had a summons or citation.
    can my CCw be revoked if i am found or plead guilty?
    Get a Lawyer.
    Don't talk to anyone but the Lawyer.
    Do what the Lawyer says.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

i guess he could get himself a NH license in case his gets revoked?
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Get a Lawyer.
    Do what the Lawyer says.

Perfect advice...you can't do this fast enough!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Get a Lawyer.
    Do what the Lawyer says.

goods advice. it may seem like overkill, but if you intend to fight the DD charge, a lawyer will help immensely.

just a reminder: a DD/drunk and disorderly, under the stricest interpretation of the law, is NOT grounds for revocation of a LTCF. if you do retain a lawyer, make sure you make him understand this. many lawyers in PA aren't well versed in firearms laws and statutes.

here's a list of lawyers in PA, who are 2A friendly, some of whom are shooters themselves:

Keith S. Grube
    Attorney at Law
    2 Penn Center
    1500 JFK Blvd., Ste. 200
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    Phone: (215) 854-4006 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (215) 854-4006 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    Areas of Practice: Criminal Defense, Expungements, Firearms License (LTCF related issues), UFA and NFA.
    Bar admissions: Pennsylvania, New Jersey, US District Court for the District of NJ.
    RKBA Organizational Memberships: National Rifle Association Member and Certified Instructor.

Philip G. Kline
    Attorney at Law
    519 Juniper Street, Quakertown, PA 18951
    Phone: (215) 538-4444 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (215) 538-4444 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    Fax: (215) 538-0140
    Areas of practice: NFA issues, NICS denials, zoning, estate admin. & planning, civil litigation, defense of misdemeanors & summary offenses.
    Bar admissions: PA (active) NJ (inactive)
    RKBA Organizational Memberships: NRA member.

David S. Markowitz (Owner of The Shooters' Bar.)
    Attorney at Law
    Phone: (215) 253-3374 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (215) 253-3374 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    Email: dave@davemarkowitz.net
    Websites: Blog O'Stuff, Welcome to Building-Tux.com, and Welcome to davemarkowitz.net. My Facebook profile. My LinkedIn profile.
    Areas of Practice: Small business counseling. Construction law. Internet and Information Technology Law. Note: I currently practice part-time so I handle transactional matters only, not litigation.
    Bar admissions: Pennsylvania, US District Court for the Eastern District of PA, & US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
    RKBA Organizational Memberships: National Rifle Association Life Member, Gun Owners of America Life Member.

J. Michael McCormick, Attorney at Law
    314 Center Avenue, PO Box 64
    Verona, (Allegheny County) PA 15147
    Phone: (412) 828-8490 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (412) 828-8490 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    Internet email address: jmm@mccorlaw.com
    Areas of practice: Criminal Defense; Civil Litigation; Appellate Courts; Estates; Real Estate; Bankruptcy.
    Bar admissions: Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Western District Court of Pennsylvania.
    RKBA Organizational Memberships: The Pennsylvania Sportsmen's Association; GOA; NRA.

C. Scott Shields, Esquire
    SHIELDS & HOPPE, LLP
    223 N. Monroe Street
    Media, PA 19063
    Phone: 610-892-7777 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 610-892-7777 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    Fax: 610-892-7525
    Cell: 610-864-0699 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 610-864-0699 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    Email: sshields@aol.com
    Website: Philadelphia PA Lawyer, Wilmington DE Attorney, Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Criminal Defense, Family Law and http://www.shieldsforjudge2007.com
    Areas of practice: Criminal/Civil Trial Practice along with heavy emphasis on Constitutional Law litigation (Free Speech; Religious Freedom; Firearms).
    RKBA Organizational Membership: National Rifle Association.

Links