Okay I just have to ask, whats this about Wally World?

This is a discussion on Okay I just have to ask, whats this about Wally World? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got my PA permit and started cruising the boards to learn the wisdom of those that have been packing for some time. I see ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Okay I just have to ask, whats this about Wally World?

Okay I just have to ask, whats this about Wally World?

Just got my PA permit and started cruising the boards to learn the wisdom of those that have been packing for some time. I see ref's to wally world being the first trip. What's up with this, oh wise ones?
    Thanks,
    Steven

2. Remove Ads

cheap practice ammo.

Assistant Administrator
    Packing - welcome from another Keystone state dude

Haha - this has really just developed over time here and is all to do with that ''first time out'' when packing. We know how early on the piece feels like a 1 ton anchor which we are sure the whole world can see - and we want to check, adjust, shuffle and squirm - but have to resist.

I guess we have come up with the Wally World as a first test really - baptism of fire - launch into the crowded large store and discipline self to be cool - and not expect alarms to go off on way in or out!

The addition of Natchos is optional - not even sure where they originated but - a stop over at Mickey D's within if there - is also to be recommended - sit and eat while packing - and again stay cool.

Once this test is over - stage one is complete and folks can move on to bigger and better things

All in fun - and it's become here anyways - the de facto start to CCW career! LOL.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    The other thing about Wally World is that it puts you in a public place carrying a concealed weapon. You go buy your ammo. Then depending on the food concession you have nachos or some other kind of fast food and sit down and eat it. You have to remind yourself not to keep checking the weapon and not to keep trying to adjust it.

One of the great lessons learned from the Wally World trip is that most people aren't paying any attention to you. You are there in a mass of humanity and the vast majority of them could not care less that you are there. The first time we go somewhere carrying a concealed weapon we naturally believe that everybody is watching us and noticing that we are carrying. We tend to think that there is a big sign over our head flashing the words "He is carrying a concealed weapon." We know better, but we have this fear anyway.

Walking into Wally World among all those people and buying ammo- horrors isn't that a give away? No. Then buying something to eat and sitting down in front of everybody and eating it - only to discover that people are coming and going, talking and buying, and have not noticed you nor your concealed weapon. You may run into someone you know and guess what they don't notice either.

Going to Wally World in the initiation into the Concealed Carry Fraternity. It is also an immersion into society while carrying, and it is the first step toward being comfortable carrying. After that trip it is a lot easier the next time you go outside the house with a concealed weapon. You quickly become adapted to the environment and you don't feel self-conscious about having a .45 or 9mm handgun on your hip.

Go to Wally World, pick up your ammo, eat your nachos and come back and tell us about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

George - added some spacing to get para's - easier to read Chris

Thanks, Chris. My thoughts were coming too fast and I did not go back and edit the text as is my usual habit. I just answered this same question last night for my wife. She saw a message that said something about going to Wally World and asked what it was all about. When I started typing in this answer all that I said last night came flooding in and it's a wonder that any of it was readable. I was surprised when I looked back just a minute ago and saw periods and capital letters in places.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

JT
    My first time carrying was at Wal-mart, and I didn't even know it was a tradition at the time.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

go to the range and shoot. shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. then find a way to carry your gun. this will take some work. you might have to buy new pants/shirts/many holsters to make this work. but work on this. your gun in the car or back home is no good to you. have your gun on you when you exit your home.

Assistant Administrator
    Your gun in the car or back home is no good to you. Have your gun on you when you exit your home.
    Frank - you are my kind of LEO - sound advice which of course I endorse and carry out personally.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Welcome aboard! Nice to know there is another Keystone carrier.

I see you have "PA and MD" listed as your area. Live in PA, work in MD? Or vice versa? I'm right on the PA/MD line also. I would like to carry in MD but looks like that's nigh onto impossible. I rarely go to MD because of that. I've gotten so used to carrying everywhere in the short time since I got my CCW that I really feel vulnerable without that comforting weight of the firearm.

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

Packing
    Welcome from another Pennsylvanian.
    Carry it, shoot it, enjoy it.
    I did the Wally World thing too, 1st trip out. Second trip I did it cocked and locked.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Washington State.

WW has kinda morphed into a tradition. I've been carrying since before they came to town, but once the inevitable happened and they showed up, I still had to go and buy a box of the white stuff.

Distant thought...I wonder what the Wally World execs would think if they ever learned of this...hmmmm.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

DC Founder
    Another one that was initiated at Wally World. Add to all of the above reasons, WalMart welcomes you while carrying concealed. If you accidently expose or print with your gun, they probably won't freak out....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    found my trip to wally world verry intence last week now i feel nekid if i leave with out my side arm took my sons to school last week and i wasnt going to be gone but mabey five minutes then come home and nap so i didnt take my side arm man i felt uncomfortable with out it grows on ya kinda fast i found out

Administrator

Boy Do I Feel Old

Back when I started packing daily I had never even heard of Wally World and natchos were not invented yet.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The Wally World execs would probably be very happy to hear this as it means their store is the safest place around. Especially if the criminals knew it. My first trip out was to WW and then across the street to Costco. Bet Wally World is sorry they don't sell guns anymore at least in my area just ammo.

Anyways congrats on your CCW from California. And remember you either always carry or you never carry. (Barring places you can't legally carry)

Also, you will learn more here than anywhere else on the web, these cats have character.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Add me to the list of first timers going to Wal Mart. Felt more comfortable that weapon was truly concealed when a uniformed officer came walking up next to me and just picked an item off the shelf, smiled and went on his way.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links