Concealed carry, knife clips and a legal view...as in MA - Page 2

Concealed carry, knife clips and a legal view...as in MA

This is a discussion on Concealed carry, knife clips and a legal view...as in MA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In MO if it's a folder and under 4in it's not a weapon, so concealed weapon laws don't apply. As to tipping of BG's, I'm ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry, knife clips and a legal view...as in MA

In MO if it's a folder and under 4in it's not a weapon, so concealed weapon laws don't apply. As to tipping of BG's, I'm 6'6" tall and arround 270. I don't think a BG wants to be within arms reach even if I don't have a knife. I carry my CRKT M16-14D clipped in my strong side front pocket. I've been through 4 weddings with this setup including my own. The only person to ever coment was my left coast aunt.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Alex to that end note I'd started that long sentence with "Also".
    As in meaning to be in addition to what preceded it, and not as stand alone.

No offense taken and of course state to state law varies just as does regional social norms, and by that views.
    Never mind that Texas might as well be it's own sovereign country (along with CA) as for it's well known particulars in law, legality and what is normal.

Jake height and weight mean nothing. At all, to BGs.
    The news never mind real world personal experiences more than negate that assumption of safety.
    Just ask; Javon Walker of the Raiders among a wide and long list of persons your size and much larger as well as stronger, taller, heavier, *.whatever.
    One BG might not run up on you but height/weight does not make on immune from a double, triple or quadruple team gang bang.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

i like the folders that are set up so you cant actually see the knife just the clip. Maybe for some they can still tell thats a sog but it could just be a pen with a cool clip.

Last edited by joe26; March 2nd, 2010 at 01:57 AM. Reason: added pic

janq good point but if a whole group is going to come for me they aren't going to care if I have a knife. I realize my size isn't always going to be a deterant. Sometimes it's a bullseye when some guy wants to show everyone what a BA he is. I'm just saying if someone wants trouble he isn't going to care if I have a knife or not.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Joe that's one is way more passable overall be it viewed by potential aggressors or the passive aggressive types who might be offended in view and sensibility.

What does that model knife in whole (outside the pocket) look like?
    Just curious.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Michigan law

My CPL instructor spent at least 10-15 minutes going over all the different types of knives, and their names, dirk, dagger, butterfly, buck, folder, switchblade. Then he said there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to legally carry a concealed knife in Michigan. The Concealed Pistol License we are issued is for a pistol, not a weapon. Knives are weapons, and cannot be concealed. This applies to only those considered dangerous weapons, I believe that it must be 3" blade or longer, fixed or locking blade. Also I think that any double edged blade no matter the length is considered a weapon.
    So in Michigan if we want to carry a 3" folder it has to be open carried. The standard method here then is with the knife in the pocket and the clip exposed as shown in the OP's original post.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    My CPL instructor spent at least 10-15 minutes going over all the different types of knives, and their names, dirk, dagger, butterfly, buck, folder, switchblade. Then he said there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to legally carry a concealed knife in Michigan. The Concealed Pistol License we are issued is for a pistol, not a weapon. Knives are weapons, and cannot be concealed. This applies to only those considered dangerous weapons, I believe that it must be 3" blade or longer, fixed or locking blade. Also I think that any double edged blade no matter the length is considered a weapon.
    So in Michigan if we want to carry a 3" folder it has to be open carried. The standard method here then is with the knife in the pocket and the clip exposed as shown in the OP's original post.
    Similar to laws here in VA.

Your conversation missed that point. So many people carry a knife clipped to their pocket because the laws in their state dictate that that is the ONLY way they can carry a knife of a certain length. So all of your conversation and postulating doesn't mean much. If I'm carrying a knife that has a reasonalble chance in a SD situation (i.e., a blade over 3"), I MUST carry openly. The clip in the pocket is the closest I can get to concealed carry with such a weapon.

Change the laws and I'll change my carry method.

I guess since I am from an older time. I am retired and I never really liked the clip. Yes it makes it slightly faster to get into action but I just never warmed to it. I carry a CRKT M21-12. The first thing I do to any pocket knife is remove the clip.

An aside which i am sure everyone is aware of . . . If you do NOT use a clip always periodically clean knife for lint etc.

Proofread before you post!!! A reminder to me.

I carry 3 Spyderco folders, front strong side pocket, left and right rear back pockets. Just never know which one you may be able to get hold of, should the need arise. They are clipped to the pocket, so I don't have to fumble around trying to find it and I've had training on how to effectively use them for defense. Those 3 folders are strictly for defense. I have a baby Spyderco on my key ring to open boxes etc. Works quite well.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Knives are handy for when the BG wants to take it away and slice you into bacon.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

i carry Left side front pocket. either my buck or gerber folders. I have been carrying this way for 17+ years you can tell all of my pockets have wear from cliping and re-clipping. all you an see it the clip and a little of the knife. never had any problems i keep it there because i have my cell on the Right in an empty pocket

This is exactly why folks need to work hard in changing their local and or state/federal laws. It also proves my point to myself that this country is completely and totally morally bankrupt.

Using the above arguments from your LEO buddy you could just be one ugly sumbiscuit with a 3" long wart hanging off of your face and be guilty of assault for the mere fact that you scared an onlooker who was reviled by your appearance.

Absolutely ridiculous.

A question or two:
    1. What is your reasoning for carrying a defensive knife, or rather when is your plan for deploying it?
    2. If it is for such a purpose as to be readily available when your firearm is not or is inaccessible due to distance, position etc..., is it reachable and readily deployable from it's "concealed" location.

The reason I ask #2 is why I almost exclusively keep my folder in the lowest hanging carpenter pant pocket on the side of the leg.
    Example:

I know for sure (because I trained as such) that even if I'm on my back and mounted by an adversary that I can readily reach and deploy said folder. I've tried (with much failure) to deploy in training from a waistline clipped position where the knife is clearly much better concealed in adverse conditions(ie not just statically standing in place and knowing when an attack will happen).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Lead Moderator
    Many people carry knives visible in MI . Since many carry I do not worry about concealing mine. The BG can be watching my knife while I grab him , a other defensive tool, ect.
    While MI law does say CPL only , it also reads a knife carried for "a unlawful purpose" and Is quite vague.
    Finally I would get my legal advice from a lawyer , no a LEO .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I make it sort of a game to spot concealed firearm carriers since it's so prevalent around here. An excellent clue is when you spot someone with a tactical folder clipped to their pocket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links