Concealed carry, knife clips and a legal view...as in MA - Page 3

Concealed carry, knife clips and a legal view...as in MA

This is a discussion on Concealed carry, knife clips and a legal view...as in MA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Janq Also they alert BGs that they have tools on board of value AND to what degree they are enhanced as toward ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concealed carry, knife clips and a legal view...as in MA

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Also they alert BGs that they have tools on board of value AND to what degree they are enhanced as toward defense AND the type and on-body location of their defense AND by that give the BG a lead/advantage as toward nullifying that defense knowing what side, arm, hand and exactly where on their persons body (pocket) to attack for maximal return in nullification of 'threat'.
    I carry a number of knives (pocket clipped, and otherwise, some thoroughly concealed, some not), and other weapons in various positions so that I have several accessible to both hands. I train to deploy, and use, them with both hands. Any BG who thinks he knows which side of me to worry about is in for an unpleasant surprise.

He went on to state that in his own experience most commonly people who carry that way have, and I quote; "Little to no formal concealed carry education and/or weapons training".
    I submit that his experience must not be not very extensive, as I know quite a few people who have a great deal of formal training, and carry "that way".

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Friday I had an interesting conversation with a LEO (Sherrifs Deputy) friend of mine as in regard to civilians who carry knives and _how_ they widely tend to carry them.
    ========= too much to quote ========

1. COPS are hardly ever also LAWYERS.

2. YOUR State Laws are not necessarily like MINE.

3. MOST people I know who carry folding knives
    ACTUALLY USE THEM TO CUT STUFF , not as a weapon.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    ========= too much to quote ========

1. COPS are hardly ever also LAWYERS.

2. YOUR State Laws are not necessarily like MINE.

3. MOST people I know who carry folding knives
    ACTUALLY USE THEM TO CUT STUFF , not as a weapon.

No need to quote all of my post to respond with just three sentences (?).

1. I never stated he was an attorney. I did though state that he in specific is reputable, which I stand by, and that is not to be taken as being reflective in general toward every cop.

2. I from the start in the topic of my thread qualified this as being specific to "MA". I then went on in th thread to restate same.
    I don't live in HI or KY or CA or TN...So it goes without saying that ones own state law may vary and with that conditions of view and legality too.

3. I'd commented toward this in my post.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Uhm, as far as I have read and studied, you are required to carry IN THE OPEN when it comes to carrying a folding knife otherwise it is considered a concealed weapon which is a violation of Massachusetts law. You can (outside of Boston and some other cities) carry openely any size knife and I have seen a few guys carryinig hunting knives in sheaths though I would think this would get some extra attention from LE. But as far as folders you need to keep it in the open to be legal. Tru the sheople may notice and i guess you coould cause some problems but thats the catch 22 that the wonderful liberal Gov't here in Mass. just loves. Hide it your a criminal. show it and you are inviting criminal charges also if someone feels threatened. So whats the best solution? just dont carry the knife . Problem solved and everyone is safe as a bug in a rug right ? Welcome to Massachusetts where the Governer openly breaks the law by boldly and arrogently declaring the state an illegal alien safe haven thus putting every taxpaying citizen at risk from those who should not be here . But at least there wont be any law abiding people with knives roaming the streets. I feel safer dont you

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "He went on to say that in this state as per statute if a person ('Mary') were to see another ('Joe') as with their knife, which by statute definition is a weapon (!), clipped to a pocket or even as kept in a belt mounted sheath AND that person/Mary were to develop a sense of anxiety/fear as a result about another/Joe AND to such a degree that the person/Mary felt an immediate desire/need to separate them self from another/Joe...THEN by law/statute that person/Mary has suffered by definition a "assault" as by another/Joe."

Horse hockey. An assault requires a physical action by an individual to be considered a crime. If not, there are many who've "assaulted" me by their ugliness.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Really???? A pocket knife a concealed weapon??? Really???? In a state full of fishermen and dock workers???
    Thank God I live in the south.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I guess I better get a camo clip for my pocket knife........

Distinguished Member
    I'm with the "knives are tools" crowd. I carry one (I have 3 in my rotation) strong or weak side front pocket, depending on the circumstances, with a pocket clip. I don't draw attention to it, but I suppose there are times you could see the clip. I tend to use one with a light colored clip with light pants and a black clip with dark pants so my carry isn't typically what I would call overt.

In GA they issue a weapons cary license that covers knives and other 'weapons' in addition to guns, so even if someone were to see it and actually care, my weapons license should have me covered.

I'm down here in Georgia.... Seeing a knife clipped in someone's pocket is a very normal thing. I'm running in and out of the courthouse too much to have one with me like I used to. But up until I got this job I had one clipped in my pocket whenever I had clothes on.

If someone called the cops because I had a knife clipped in my pocket and he got there and "Mary" explains that my pocketknife "frightened her" he's going to have to stifle his laughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

VIP Member
    Another one resurrected from the dead thread folder. I have no idea why Janq quit participating and
    hope he is well, but on this sort of topic, whatever Janq says is probably spot on. That guy knew
    guns, tactics, and MA law in and out.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

ng
    When family members ask why I carry a pocket knife, I tell them it's for opening presents. It's turned into a bit of a family joke, but now if anyone needs a cutting tool they ask for my "present opening knife". It comes in handy all the time, even for a white collar worker such as myself.

With that being said, I don't like advertising that I have a knife when I'm out in public. So I keep my POK in the small change pocket of my jeans, no clip necessary (but I left it attached to my Kershaw). An added bonus is that it won't scratch my cell phone or accidentally hit the panic button on my car keys.

I carry a gun because I'm too old and slow to use my Spydercos to do anything more than open the mail, cut some cord or peel an apple. BTW, the answer would be the same if it was a Kabar 'fighting knife'
    Last edited by bklynboy; March 28th, 2013 at 01:41 PM.

I carry two multi-tools. A small one in my left front pocket - along with a bunch of other stuff like a light and a pen. Clipped in my right front pocket is a full size Gerber. I have them out 10+ times a day. I started with the ubiquitous boy scout version the day I got my knife card in cub scouts and I've carried what I consider to be a multi-tool ever since. Never thought of them as weapons.

If someone called the cops because I had a knife clipped in my pocket and he got there and "Mary" explains that my pocketknife "frightened her" he's going to have to stifle his laughter.
    - Ditto!

I did have an officer ask me to leave my knife in my vehicle when he asked me to accompany him to his once. AFAIK it's the only time anyone has even noticed the clip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links