Minnesota releases CP numbers

This is a discussion on Minnesota releases CP numbers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BCA releases number of permits today, valid as of 12/31/09 for the state, 69,313...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BCA releases number of permits today, valid as of 12/31/09 for the state, 69,313

Way cool. We have a long way to go to catch up to Texas, but part of what we accomplish is the awareness that it's ok for good people to be armed.

I'm glad that 69,313 Minnesotans have chosen to not be victims.

make that 69,316 my dad brother and i are waitng for our permits in the mail.

Also note on the same report are the following numbers.

598 total report of crimes by permit holders. 2003-2009.(Many were driving relayed).
    And of these 598 crimes only 55 used pistols.!!!!

Source Minnesota B.C.A report March 1, 2010

P.S I'll bet the local media won't touch this one...
    Better to have and not need then to need and not have!!!!
    EDC G22+Clips=SECURITY

Quote Originally Posted by minas View Post
    Also note on the same report are the following numbers.

598 total report of crimes by permit holders. 2003-2009.(Many were driving relayed).
    And of these 598 crimes only 55 used pistols.!!!!

Source Minnesota B.C.A report March 1, 2010

P.S I'll bet the local media won't touch this one...
    Although the clowns at Brady and the VPC will use ALL crimes, even those that don't involve a weapon, as part of their stats showing CCWers "kill people".
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

The endgunviolence.com people already have a page about it, no surprise there. My favorite point they attempt to make is that no MN permit holders have used a firearm in self defense. Like it's a bad thing, or that we're upset about it. We thank our lucky stars every damn day that we can say that number is zero. But what isn't logged is how many times a the mere presence of a permit carried pistol has prevented crime.

As for the crimes committed by people with permits, I'd say a large majority (close to all) would have been committed without a permit.

Also, I didn't see anywhere in the report that a permit holder killed anyone. I read most of it. I also used the search function for the words murder, homicide, manslaughter, kill, etc. Besides definitions of reasons for denial, I found one hit. A denial in Hennepin County due to an ongoing murder investigation. I can agree with that denial until it's closed.

Quote Originally Posted by PileDriver73 View Post
    The endgunviolence.com people already have a page about it, no surprise there. My favorite point they attempt to make is that no MN permit holders have used a firearm in self defense. Like it's a bad thing, or that we're upset about it. We thank our lucky stars every damn day that we can say that number is zero. But what isn't logged is how many times a the mere presence of a permit carried pistol has prevented crime.

As for the crimes committed by people with permits, I'd say a large majority (close to all) would have been committed without a permit.

Also, I didn't see anywhere in the report that a permit holder killed anyone. I read most of it. I also used the search function for the words murder, homicide, manslaughter, kill, etc. Besides definitions of reasons for denial, I found one hit. A denial in Hennepin County due to an ongoing murder investigation. I can agree with that denial until it's closed.

I think that the report said there were 3 justifiable uses.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    Way cool. We have a long way to go to catch up to Texas, but part of what we accomplish is the awareness that it's ok for good people to be armed.

I'm glad that 69,313 Minnesotans have chosen to not be victims.
    We know, we know, y'all want to be us.

Seriously, it is amazing you now have 69,313, soon to be 69,316, law abiding, upstanding citizens who don't get credit for exercising our inalienable rights.

Michigan broke the 275,000 mark as of Feb 1 2010

congratulations MN! you're just over 1/10 of the way to Florida's 685,828 active permits. Keep up the good work! :-D

GM
    That was good news. Keep going MN!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    congratulations MN! you're just over 1/10 of the way to Florida's 685,828 active permits. Keep up the good work! :-D
    Wow!! That is awesome!

I think something that would be really cool to find out is a listing showing each states percentage of CCL to population. Yes I know, Minnesota is just a Carry License

Minnesota = 69,313/5,230,000(est.)= 1.3%

I'm not sure if there is a site with this information or not, I'd sure be interested in seeing it if there was. Otherwise maybe you might like to figure out your state and add to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizcat68 View Post
    Wow!! That is awesome!

I think something that would be really cool to find out is a listing showing each states percentage of CCL to population. Yes I know, Minnesota is just a Carry License

Minnesota = 69,313/5,230,000(est.)= 1.3%

I'm not sure if there is a site with this information or not, I'd sure be interested in seeing it if there was. Otherwise maybe you might like to figure out your state and add to the list.
    685,828/18,328,340 = approx 3.7%

It would be higher if you add the other 3 categories of permits listed on Florida's site showing the numbers of judges, cops, and whatever the other one was. Came out to another 7,000 or 8,000 but i figured i'd just do normal citizen permits. also the population estimate is from july 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    With about 14 million residents, that makes it about almost 5%...not bad...I know a lot of these 'older folks' were packin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think the number of carry permits is correlated to crime rates (FL is higher) and ease of obtaining the permit. Minnesota requires you to take a day-long class including range test and pay $100 for the 5-yr permit. Renewing requires you to repeat the class. It cost about $225 or so to get mine.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links