driving to Canada

This is a discussion on driving to Canada within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ken45 Most gunsmiths are FFLs I believe. As such, they may have restrictions on returning the gun to you if you are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: driving to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
    Most gunsmiths are FFLs I believe. As such, they may have restrictions on returning the gun to you if you are out of state? (I'm not sure, just pointing this up).

I would probably go the secure locker route, or a safe deposit box if it is legal to take a gun into a bank in the state where you are crossing the border.

Ken
    If she leaves it with a gunsmith for repair or service, it shouldn't be a problem. From the BATF FAQ page:
    Q: Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm?

No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.

[27 CFR 478.124(a)]
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

I wouldnt be surprised if my gun shop/range provided a storage service. It may very well be the one that Avenger mentioned. I can ask if that would be helpful. Or I could pm the phone number as well and you can ask.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

The Canucks can be a pain in the butt when it comes to firearms.

When I drove my Chev Celebrity up to Alaska in 1990 I left my revolver with my cousin in Seattle. I had the car packed FULL of my stuff.

The nice Canadian border agent wanted to know if I had any firearms in the car. I said "no". He then proceeded to ask if I had a:

pistol... no
    revolver... no
    handgun... no
    rifle... no
    shotgun... no
    You don't have any guns of any type in the car? Again... no

He then said "Do you know what will happen if I search your car and find a gun?"

By this time I'm getting pretty annoyed so I told him "It don't matter what will happen because I don't have a gun in the car so knock yourself out."

After searching my car for an hour he said "Well if you have anything in there I guess it's buried so deep you can't get to it."

It seems to me they are truly afraid of a citizen but they do like their subjects.

Don't bring ANYTHING that resembles a weapon into Canada. Trust me.

My border experience a few years ago was into Ontario from Michigan. Mr. Canadian Border Guard asked me to the 10th degree on how many firearms that I "owned". I had none but he made me tell him each and everyone I owned. I listed them, about 10 handguns and long guns. Like to never got it through his head that all my firearms were at least 600 miles away at home. I almost didn't go into Canada because of the interrogation, but he allowed me in.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Finding a place to store the gun near the boarder is probably your best bet. Handguns are NO No's in Canada and it is their right. You can't slam another country for the way they handle their govt. I always thought that when you have a ccw you are a law abiding citizen and should follow the laws. As soon as you cross the border get a hockey stick and everyone will leave you alone or buy you a brew....

VIP Member
    I have crossed the border in both directions with firearms many times with no problems whatsoever BECAUSE I HAVE DONE MY HOMEWORK AND HAVE THE PROPER PAPERWORK.

We get US shooters coming up here to compete with handguns, rifles and shotguns all the time, as well as hunters. They also experience no issues IF THEY HAVE DONE THEIR HOMEWORK AND HAVE THE PROPER PAPERWORK.

It is very simple and it helps to know what you can and cannot bring with you. Check the link I supplied earlier for all the details. DO NOT attempt to bring in any handgun with a barrel length of less than 4.12". DO NOT attempt to bring in high capacity magazines (max 5 round for centrefire rifle, max 10 round for pistol). DO bring any ammunition that you are going to need with you. Unless you have a valid Canadian Firearms License, you will not be able to purchase ammunition up here.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    My border experience a few years ago was into Ontario from Michigan. Mr. Canadian Border Guard asked me to the 10th degree on how many firearms that I "owned". I had none but he made me tell him each and everyone I owned. I listed them, about 10 handguns and long guns.
    Maybe he had trouble with English ;-)

I would have told him that how many you owned was none of his business.

Surprisingly, when we crossed at Detroit in late 2001, they only asked where we were going and how long we were staying. Total interaction about 30 seconds. Coming back into the U.S. was even quicker, and this was just a few months after 9/11.

We don't have to worry about crossing ever again since they now require a passport and my wife can't get one (she's never had a birth certificate!)

Ken

Crossing in to Canada with long guns is not a problem. Don't know if I would want to hassle with getting a handgun into Canada, though. I have crossed the border with a group 6 guys, 12 shotguns, and 6 cases of shotgun shells for a weeks worth of waterfowl hunting. We had all the paperwork filled out before we arrived at the border and it took us less than 30 minutes for all 6 of us to get through customs. Coming back into the states always takes us longer, especially if bringing any birds back.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    My border experience a few years ago was into Ontario from Michigan. Mr. Canadian Border Guard asked me to the 10th degree on how many firearms that I "owned". I had none but he made me tell him each and everyone I owned. I listed them, about 10 handguns and long guns.
    Sounds like he was jealous
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Sounds like he was jealous
    Not attempting to hijack the thread.

I actually think he was being careful. Not to say bad things about Canadians, I have some distant cousins who live in Alberta and also GunnyBunny may be watching this thread!! It's ok Gunny, we like you, but the Guard just kept going on and on about the firearms that I "owned".

The funny thing was when he asked me what I did with all those firearms, I just replied, "for hunting".

He asked "What do you hunt with a nine millimeter pistol??"

I was growing weary of this and put my hands out of the truck in a wide gesture and said "Rats! We have these big rats in West Virginia!!!"

The smirk on his face was priceless and he allowed us to continue on our way for an enjoyable afternoon in Ontario.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Licensing and Registration Requirements
    Firearm owner and users in Canada need a valid firearms licence allowing them to possess firearms and a Canadian registration certificate for each firearm in their possession. A licence issued under Canada’s Firearms Act is different from a provincial hunting licence.

Non-residents have two options for meeting the Canadian licensing and registration requirements:

Option 1
    Declare firearms in writing, in triplicate, using the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration (form CAFC 909).

If there are more than three firearms, a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Continuation Sheet (form CAFC 910) should be added.

The declaration form should be filled out prior to arrival at the point of entry, in order to save time. However, it should not be signed before arriving at the entry point, as a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) customs officer must witness the signature.

Once the declaration has been confirmed by the CBSA customs officer, it acts as a licence for the owner and as a temporary registration certificate for the firearms brought to Canada; and it is valid for 60 days. The declaration can be renewed for free, providing it is renewed before it expires, by contacting the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) (call 1-800-731-4000) of the relevant province or territory.

A confirmed declaration costs a flat fee of $25, regardless of the number of firearms listed on it. It is valid only for the person who signs it and only for those firearms listed on the declaration.

Firearm Users Visiting Canada

I for one encourage US vistors to bring firearms that are legal up here with them, but you must know the law and have copies of the forms and I recommand copying the website as well, so you can hand it to the uniformed twits.

Also handy
    http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showtdm/cr/SOR-98-209

Wow, thanks for all the advice! This is the first time I've asked a question on this forum and you guys are great!

I didn't intend in taking my gun INTO Canada as its barrel is to short to do that legally. I'll look into leaving it with a gunsmith.

As for the Utah non-resident not being valid in all states, yes, but I am driving through CO. I lived there for 5 years without ever getting a concealed carry because their gun laws are so relaxed. Open carry is legal except in certain cities and here's what they say about carrying while driving:

See C.R.S. 18-12-204

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or

(II) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.

(b) The provisions of this subsection (3) shall not be construed to authorize the carrying of a handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-105 or 18-12-105.5.

When I lived in Kalispell, MT, there was a business just South of the Canadian border that would store your handgun for a $10 fee. I forget, but I think it was like a convenience store. I also have taken long guns into Canada with no problem, but this was back pre 9-11.
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

Quote Originally Posted by walaby View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this, but here goes...

I am driving from Texas to British Columbia this summer and then staying in BC till August and driving back. I have a Utah CC license so I'd be legal in all the states I'm driving through, but... then there is Canada. I have a S&W M&P9c which has a 3.5in barrel so its on the no-no list for our good friends up North.

Being a small woman, driving alone across the country seems a silly thing to do unarmed, when I can do it legally. Do yall have any ideas on what to do with my gun while I am in Canada?

Thanks!
    Most pawn shops will store it for you for a little bit of a fee
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links