driving to Canada

driving to Canada

This is a discussion on driving to Canada within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this, but here goes... I am driving from Texas to British Columbia this summer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: driving to Canada

driving to Canada

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this, but here goes...

I am driving from Texas to British Columbia this summer and then staying in BC till August and driving back. I have a Utah CC license so I'd be legal in all the states I'm driving through, but... then there is Canada. I have a S&W M&P9c which has a 3.5in barrel so its on the no-no list for our good friends up North.

Being a small woman, driving alone across the country seems a silly thing to do unarmed, when I can do it legally. Do yall have any ideas on what to do with my gun while I am in Canada?

Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Perhaps there is a gunsmith that you could leave it at just south of the border, for some sort of upgrade?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

You may be able to bring a long gun (a shotgun would be easiest) into Canada and keep it in your vehicle, safe and secured.

A Practical Guide to Canada's Gun Laws for Americans

Don't take it anywhere near the border...in Canada, you'll go to jail for that pistol, they'll take your pistol, your car, fine you big time, possibly jail...it won't be a pretty scene.
    The above suggestion about a gunsmith is a good one. Perhaps leave it at a gun shop for a good cleaning?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Perhaps there is a gunsmith that you could leave it at just south of the border, for some sort of upgrade?
    That, or get a Safe Deposit box or rent a secure locker somewhere close to the boarder.
    I'm just guessing, but hope to stir some ideas.

If I (personally) were making a trip like that, I would stop by my friend's house in Spokane, and have him stick my gun in his gun safe till I return.

That help?
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Well, you could always leave it at my house, 2 hrs S of the Vancouver border. It could 'vacation' with it's fullsize brother in my safe ;-)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    All good suggestions so far except for the idea of bringing a shotgun. My recommendation is not to travel up here with a firearm.

Here's what you need to know about from the RCMP website..........

Visitors / Non-Residents
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Ah Yes, the reason we don't hunt in Canada anymore. We head up to Alaska now, and skip (fly) right over that sheepfarm. All Americans should read that site. The way Canadian subjects are treated like children is appalling.

For questions like this go to the source: in this case, Canadian Customs and Immigration for the Border. Anything beyond - which is likely Nothing Beyond as others point out - call the provincial police in each province you will be going through or staying in. As far as getting back in, it's US Customs and Immigration to ask

The chances of anything happening on your trip is extremely remote. I'd concern myself with avoiding driving dangers as the priority of your long drive.

I drove to montreal from Edinburg Tx,I found a shop in Michigan that would hold my gun for $20.00 til I came back thru.we have several members and one has already offered to babysit your baby
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This happens all the time. One of the shops that I work at is about 2.5 hrs away from the BC border. We take firearms for those who are traveling into Canada and hold them for a very small fee. Its cheaper to keep your firearm with us than a locker or safe deposit box. And for a bit more, our gunsmith will completely strip it, clean it, and lube it and be ready for you upon your return. PM me if you want the details.

You've already received some ideas for your problem. The one thing I'll add is to make sure and check your route. If you only have a Utah non-resident license, you're going to need to make a dog-leg trip to avoid states you won't be legal in. See attached map.

Hoss

map.jpg
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Curious.....

I can respect Canada's law that United States fellows shall not have any firearm to canada borderline. But I would like to know why or why not ? What will happen if you declared your firearm at the airport via TSA and fly to Canada ? Thanks for input.

Quote Originally Posted by FireAir7215 View Post
    I can respect Canada's law that United States fellows shall not have any firearm to canada borderline. But I would like to know why or why not ? What will happen if you declared your firearm at the airport via TSA and fly to Canada ? Thanks for input.
    I will bet that upon retrieving your handgun you will get a nice ride in a police car.
    There may be rules in place that only allow handguns to be checked on domestic flights only
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Most gunsmiths are FFLs I believe. As such, they may have restrictions on returning the gun to you if you are out of state? (I'm not sure, just pointing this up).

I would probably go the secure locker route, or a safe deposit box if it is legal to take a gun into a bank in the state where you are crossing the border.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links