Scenario identification pitfalls

This is a discussion on Scenario identification pitfalls within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Only posting this as, thru several threads we have seen that sometimes all is not what it seems. This is of course addressed to those ...

Thread: Scenario identification pitfalls

Assistant Administrator

Scenario identification pitfalls

Only posting this as, thru several threads we have seen that sometimes all is not what it seems.

This is of course addressed to those who might feel a need to step in to, as they see it, help a potential victim. Overall we look out for #1, and our nearest and dearest but - it is just possible we could be involuntarily caught up in something - perhaps thru pure proximity, and have little or no time to make a decision. Whether to assist or turn away and just leave it be - calling it in perhaps but no more.

Without arguing the pro's and con's of involvement - I do more and more have concerns about making a correct assessment of a ''situation''. The spousal argument which seems like an attack - but is best left alone - and which if interfered with turns sour as the apparent victim crucifies you for whatever action you took.

Then the even more dangerous potential of a plain-clothes cop or another CCW - making a situation safe but looking like an armed aggressor.

Bottom line - this is IMO one thing even training cannot fully cover satisfactorily - it will be a rapid decision but hey - it's one somehow we'd have to get right. It is the biggest single concern to me if somehow time and place put me in such a situation - there would be no second chances. A gun in our direction? - easy - game on - but less obvious things, our decision will be crucial.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

I was just thinking about this today when I heard in the Sacramento area a lady went in there with kitchen knives and started stabbing people. I don't know the full story but if in that situation what would I do? Even if there was a clear route to get the heck out of there I don't think I would. But do I pull the ccw or try to take her out and one guy did. I guess in a situation like that I would stop her without the ccw. I would use the OC spray. But what about other situations where people are dying. If someone was shooting? I'm sorry I would have to take them out, no question. In the case of a plain clothes cop being in the situation I would hope that he saw what happened and who is who. Probably everyone that carries thinks about this. Bottom line you gotta do what you gotta do and nobody makes that decision but you. Is there a wrong answer to this? I don't think so. I just hope tht none of us are in this situation to begin with.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman
    In the case of a plain clothes cop being in the situation I would hope that he saw what happened and who is who. Probably everyone that carries thinks about this.
    Rule #1- Escape and Evade. A PCO incident would likely be a tussle, rolling onto you, vs. wild lead slinging. Getting into a fight, lethal or otherwise, is never to your benefit. Your gun comes out, you have excellent odds of being dead, very quickly.

To me, the only exception would be akin to the woman described- someone indiscriminately attacking others. In those circumstances, I would respond only after a considred scene-survey. I have no urge to die for people that could give less of a damn.

Links