concealed carry on the outer banks

This is a discussion on concealed carry on the outer banks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My kids are planning a week vacation for us on the Outer Banks, NC. Can someone familiar with the NC concealed handguns/weapons laws give me ...

Thread: concealed carry on the outer banks

concealed carry on the outer banks

My kids are planning a week vacation for us on the Outer Banks, NC. Can someone familiar with the NC concealed handguns/weapons laws give me some tips. Is there a separate concealed laws for the Outer Banks?

I have a TX CHL and an AZ CWP.

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You will need to be very careful where you travel on the Outer Banks. Much of the Outer Banks are National Park. NC does not allow carry in state parks so National Parks carry is still prohibited.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thank you!

Other than National Park issues are there other Outer Banks specific stuff I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You will need to be very careful where you travel on the Outer Banks. Much of the Outer Banks are National Park. NC does not allow carry in state parks so National Parks carry is still prohibited.
    This is not correct. State park restrictions do not effect National parks in the state of NC. There is NO reference to National Parks in NC statutes. If you read the parks web sites you will see that they now allow the carry of firearms.

Cape Hatteras National Seashore Laws & Policies

If you scroll down to the section that is listed Assimilated Laws you will see the following.

"As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws to legally possess firearms in this park."

Building carry is still off limits but they will be posted as such. The parks and drives are no longer off limits for concealed carry as long as your state has reciprocity with NC.

Quote Originally Posted by bamban View Post
    Thank you!

Other than National Park issues are there other Outer Banks specific stuff I need to know?
    I covered the National Parks above but here is a good source for concealed carry laws here in NC.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Note that you must inform if stopped by the law and no carry either open or concealed where alcohol is sold for consumption. That means places like Outback Steak house, Red Lobster, etc.

No carry to anyplace that charges admission either.

Do NOT miss the Wright Brothers museum it's amazing how far we've come is such a short time where aviation is concerned.

Actually,......

Hello everyone - not a typical first post from me, but I thought I'd try to help...

My suggestion would be to contact someone in NC, and not rely on information over the internet( from myself as well). I will say though that you may now carry in National Parks legally, as long as you are following the laws of the respective state. How this relates to NC's state park laws I have no idea, but the law that was tacked onto the credit card bill just passed allows you to carry in National Parks. ( which is different from Corp. of Engineers property, which is still a no-no.)

Again, the best thing to do is contact someone who knows in NC. Perhaps the local sheriff's office or the park you are going to, or both. At times, it's best to get information from multiple sources, so that if you get one yahoo that doesn't know what he's talking about you're not risking what you think you know on that one erroneous bit of advice.

[edited] - I guess we were all posting at the same time. LOL

Cool

How about carrying concealed on the outer banks ferrys? I would consider them as extended highways.

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    How about carrying concealed on the outer banks ferrys? I would consider them as extended highways.
    Interesting question!

Seems the ferries are under the DOT and from what I could find right off there appears to be no restrictions. Just like going over a bridge or through a tunnel from the sounds of it.

Going to dig some more tomorrow.

Thanks for the question.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    This is not correct. State park restrictions do not effect National parks in the state of NC. There is NO reference to National Parks in NC statutes. If you read the parks web sites you will see that they now allow the carry of firearms.

If you scroll down to the section that is listed Assimilated Laws you will see the following.

"As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws to legally possess firearms in this park."

Building carry is still off limits but they will be posted as such. The parks and drives are no longer off limits for concealed carry as long as your state has reciprocity with NC.
    I may be wrong (wouldn't be a first!). But my understanding was that if states prohibit park carry, then national parks within the state, were also prohibited.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I may be wrong (wouldn't be a first!). But my understanding was that if states prohibit park carry, then national parks within the state, were also prohibited.
    That was the original rule. The amendment that became law with the credit card act was more broad and made no mention of rules for state parks.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post

Beat me to it.

The State Parks / National Parks connection was the old rule that was voided. The new statutory Law doesn't make that link.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

OBX what a great place to visit. I agree with previous post Do not miss Wright brothers memorial. Also the Cape Hatteras Light house. If you have 4 wheel drive go out to the point (Cape Point).

A couple other things. If fishing you need a Coastal Recreational Fishing license. Stripers should be running. Must have a permit to drive on beach after 10pm (you can download from the net). Dogs must be on a leash even on the beach.

Also, it is National Seashore and legal infractions are under Federal Court jusrisdiction except those that occur in the little towns on OBX.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Off the top of my head:

No carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

No carry anyplace that charges for admission.

No carry at a parade.

There are a few others...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links