"Are You Packing Heat? Your Local Newspaper May be Planning to Out You"

This is a discussion on "Are You Packing Heat? Your Local Newspaper May be Planning to Out You" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A lengthy but good read. The Ohio Free Press, an independent online news source run by liberty-minded citizens, has its sights fixed on setting the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A lengthy but good read.

The Ohio Free Press, an independent online news source run by liberty-minded citizens, has its sights fixed on setting the record straight and is taking aim squarely at one newspaper’s editor.

Two and a half years ago, when readers of the Sandusky Register in Ohio opened the paper on June 25, 2007, many were shocked to find their name, age and county of residence published alongside those of nearly 2,700 other law-abiding private citizens. At the top of the page read only the title, “Sandusky County Concealed Carry List“, accompanied by a menacing graphic with the words “Conceal Carry: Who Needs to Know?” cunningly framed around a gun’s scope. While the page offered no other content or context whatsoever, the lack of such more than set the tone. It may as well have been headlined, “Hey – Fear These Scary Gun-Toting People.”

I spoke with Brian Walker at the Ohio Free Press. He says they wanted to know – without any sort of other context around it, what would have compelled the Register’s managing editor, Matt Westerhold, to publicly disclose this list of everyone in the area who just happens to have a license to carry a concealed handgun. And why, all this time later, are the pages still online, without any sort of explanation for publishing the list printed alongside of it?

But when they asked him, Mr. Westerhold, after first getting another reporter into the room to get on speakerphone with him, replied bluntly, “Absolutely no comment.”

And that was the end of it.

Follow the link for the rest
    Are You Packing Heat? Your Local Newspaper May be Planning to Out You - Big Journalism

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    It shouldn't be too hard to find out Westerhold's address and phone number. I'm sure the readers would like to know where he lives, type of neighborhood, etc..., to bring perspective to his editorials. That might be the end of that, too!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    It shouldn't be too hard to find out Westerhold's address and phone number. I'm sure the readers would like to know where he lives, type of neighborhood, etc..., to bring perspective to his editorials. That might be the end of that, too!
    Let me google that for you

First result under "phone book" seems pretty good. Now, I don't have any idea if its the same guy....but it is the right town.

Senior Moderator
    We had a TV station here recklessly publish the personal information of every CWFL holder in central Florida on their website - for about an hour.

They got bombarded with negative comments by phone and email,and took it down.

However, their reckless conduct was very helpful in getting the Florida legislature to rapidly amend the law to exclude CWFL holder information from public disclosure.

So the TV station inadvertently helped us all by trying to "expose" us.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    to me the participating newspaper is hitting below the belt... absolutely uncalled for.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Are you packing

Use a little reverse pshychology on the paper. Check out that list of people and see if there've been any robberies or breakins under there name. I bet there hasn't. Work it against the paper, you can do it.
    It would take a little of work but I'm sure it could be done.
    Peaceful
    1911 Sending the best"

I'd like to see a similar list of all welfare recipients. They affect the public more than legal weapons carriers!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Not here in Kansas all CCW Records are not open to public.

I know they did this in Arkansas and the Editor and several of Key News aper people got their addresses and unlisted numbers published in the classified's.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

evo
    They tried to do this in Oregon too.
    The sheriffs send a letter to the permit holders asking them if they wanted their names on a public list or not. All new applicants have the option as well. When I applied for my chl and saw this form I thought why would I want everybody to know that I carry....concealed.....
    Thank you sheriffs. Good job.
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

Perhaps the newspaper would like to recieve a letter from the 2700 people cancelling their subscription to the paper.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Odds are that none of those 2700 people subscribe in the first place.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

true.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    We had a TV station here recklessly publish the personal information of every CWFL holder in central Florida on their website - for about an hour.

They got bombarded with negative comments by phone and email,and took it down.

However, their reckless conduct was very helpful in getting the Florida legislature to rapidly amend the law to exclude CWFL holder information from public disclosure.

So the TV station inadvertently helped us all by trying to "expose" us.

Matt
    Did anyone remember to send the station a "Thank You" card?

Worked out well for us Floridians!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Maybe you should put this outside his house. If he doesn't like guns, then it should be advertised....

Administrator
    The Sandusky Register and Westerhold are both very liberal and nobody with half a brain puts any stock into that paper. In fact, that paper isn't even fit to be kept on a roll adjacent to my porcelain throne.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links