Some questions about Maine

This is a discussion on Some questions about Maine within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our family travels to Maine every summer, and we have been going every July for the last 5 years. My parents own a timeshare on ...

Thread: Some questions about Maine

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question Some questions about Maine

Our family travels to Maine every summer, and we have been going every July for the last 5 years. My parents own a timeshare on a cabin on Lake Cobbossee right outside of Augusta. I love going up there, I love lobster, going to the coast, fishing in the lake, canoeing and I could go on and on... It truly is a beautiful state I do have a Maine non-resident permit and do carry while there. All these years later, I have a pretty good understanding about most of the laws in Maine but I still have two questions.

The first of which is does Maine have "Castle Doctrine" or not? I've heard both yes and no. If so, where is the law so I can see it for myself. If they do have it, is it just stand your ground, or is it full castle doctrine?

Second, it is my understanding that "No gun" signs do hold legal water in Maine. I have heard conflicting reports on this as well. If this is true please cite a law.

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Ads

This may help in finding an answer about the Castle Doctrine.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Our family travels to Maine every summer, and we have been going every July for the last 5 years. My parents own a timeshare on a cabin on Lake Cobbossee right outside of Augusta. I love going up there, I love lobster, going to the coast, fishing in the lake, canoeing and I could go on and on... It truly is a beautiful state I do have a Maine non-resident permit and do carry while there. All these years later, I have a pretty good understanding about most of the laws in Maine but I still have two questions.

The first of which is does Maine have "Castle Doctrine" or not? I've heard both yes and no. If so, where is the law so I can see it for myself. If they do have it, is it just stand your ground, or is it full castle doctrine?

Second, it is my understanding that "No gun" signs do hold legal water in Maine. I have heard conflicting reports on this as well. If this is true please cite a law.

Thanks for the help.

Yes we do have a Castle Doctrine here in Maine and as far as I know the signs hold legal weight in Maine. (207) 624-7210 if you have any questions call this number for Sgt. Gomane of the State police he should be able to answer any quetsions you have.
    Live in yellow or die in white.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegear234 View Post
    Yes we do have a Castle Doctrine here in Maine and as far as I know the signs hold legal weight in Maine. (207) 624-7210 if you have any questions call this number for Sgt. Gomane of the State police he should be able to answer any quetsions you have.
    From what I have read the Castle Doctrine only applies in the home. I guess my question is can it be used to stop a forcible felony and do I have a duty to retreat on foot in public?

I am under the impression signs mean nothing in Maine if it is posted all they can do is ask you to leave. I took a few courses from some pretty good guys at Weaponcraft and they explained a lot of Maine law.

Castle Doctrine applys to the home for sure and I was told you can defend yourself or anyone else if needed but I will stick to myself and family unless children are involved

Well I should look before I speak just found this don;t know what they mean by licensed establishment though

A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm if the person possesses any firearm on the
    premises of a licensed establishment posted to prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms in a
    manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of patrons... (Title 17A Chapter 43 1057)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    From what I have read the Castle Doctrine only applies in the home. I guess my question is can it be used to stop a forcible felony and do I have a duty to retreat on foot in public?
    I believe a forcible felony is grounds for lethal force. Because here in the case of rape its classified as a forcible felony and lethal force is justified to prevent it.
    Live in yellow or die in white.

Links