Where do you practice?

This is a discussion on Where do you practice? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to prepare myself to start CCWing and with the rules at gun ranges prohibiting realistic practice, I was wondering where y'all shoot and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you practice?

Where do you practice?

I'm trying to prepare myself to start CCWing and with the rules at gun ranges prohibiting realistic practice, I was wondering where y'all shoot and if you could give me some advice on where it is legal to shoot. I know I asked a similar question before, and y'all said outside city limits would be OK, but how do I find out where lands open to the public are and if they allow firearms? I know in FL that *legally* most places can't prohibit me from shooting unless they are mentioned in the state CC laws, but I don't want the head ache of dealing with anti-gun people anyway.

Also, does anyone here compete in the IDPA? Is it good self-defense practice?
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure where you live so little help there. I'm in Colorado and I like to go shooting up in the mountains when I dont feel like going to the range. Before I went shooting up there for the first time, I went to the USDA Forest Service website to check out the rules and places off limits to shooting. I even found maps that had areas marked with off limits shooting areas throughout the National Forests here. I made sure to print these out and take along a printed copy of the shooting rules within the National Forest just in case I ran into someone who wanted to question me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf87 View Post
    I'm not sure where you live so little help there. I'm in Colorado and I like to go shooting up in the mountains when I dont feel like going to the range. Before I went shooting up there for the first time, I went to the USDA Forest Service website to check out the rules and places off limits to shooting. I even found maps that had areas marked with off limits shooting areas throughout the National Forests here. I made sure to print these out and take along a printed copy of the shooting rules within the National Forest just in case I ran into someone who wanted to question me.
    Thanks. I'm an hour north of Tampa.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

You might start here.

I usually shoot here or on my own place but Kansas is a little far for you to drive.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    If you do not have the luxury of your own 10 acres or whatever to shoot your heart off, buy an airsoft or some kind of air gun and practice to your heart's content in the comfort of your own home. May not give you a kick but you can develop skills

We have a world-class facility where I live, and I use it for all of my big-bore rifle shooting. For handguns it's usually off my back deck. I have 3 1/2 acres that borders BLM land. I have target setups at 7 yards and 50 yards

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    If you do not have the luxury of your own 10 acres or whatever to shoot your heart off, buy an airsoft or some kind of air gun and practice to your heart's content in the comfort of your own home. May not give you a kick but you can develop skills
    That's what I just did; bought several airsoft for practice - economical, no trip to the range and ammo is way cheaper and easily found

For more realistic practice (drawing, moving, reloading, using cover, etc) I joined my local IDPA/IPSC club at the range. At $10 a practice and lots of people with advice, it's a fun, cheap way to improve training.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Like Hoss, I usually shoot on property I own. Hereís a couple of the guys practicing at my place:

View from my 200 meter bench:

Bench close-up:

I put in another small berm behind the backstop for another swinger and Iím also putting in a 385 meter firing position this spring for a turkey swinger.

Before I bought the 80 acres I belonged to a private range that while pretty restrictive was managed very well.

I also compete in IDPA twice a month and Iím a certified SO for IDPA. IDPA while not training, does give you a chance to practice shooting skills and also some things that youíre often not allowed to do on a public range like draw from concealment and shoot while moving. Thereís also the induced ďstressĒ thatís incurred when under a timer with a gallery watching.

I highly recommend it, just remember that as much as they try to make it tactical, itís still a game with a timer and somebody keeping score.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I can't recommend IDPA and/or USPSA shooting enough. There are all sorts of arguments floating around regarding the fact that these sports are not tactical training, and that's true. It's also beside the point. There are few other better options for most people--if you want to be pinged hard for being unsafe, want to learn to draw from the holster, want to learn to hit moving targets, learn to hit targets while moving and want to really find out if your Super Turbo Blaster can really function when it needs to, this is a good way to do it.

Also, I'm lucky enough to live in a town with a club that allows drawing from the holster, has no restrictions as to the speed you can shoot, and doesn't care about what targets you shoot at. It's a membership club, it's indoors, and there's always at least one person able to observe the range. If you're lucky enough to find such a club in your town, please consider joining it and supporting it.

One more note about IDPA and/or USPSA shooting. My epxerience has been that one of the greatest practical values of these shooting sports, and the most difficult to replicate in any other way, is adrenaline. IMO, you haven't learned a whole lot of anything useful until you've come to experience the challenge of making the shot when you're all pumped up on adrenaline. I feel that learning to deal with that challenge makes these games worth playing.

Oooops. Chuck just said it, above. +1, Chuck.
    ďIf I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.Ē T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Where I live there are a couple indoor ranges however they do not always allow realistic practice. BUTTTT they do teach advance courses in defensive carry and special practices where that is the venue. There are a wide variety or sportsman clubs in our area that have IDPA, Cowboy, and other venues. Of course these are out door and very seasonal in my area. Phone calls and Web surfing might help you locate something near you. Personally I do not care for State or Federal land use for practice, around me those areas are not safe for practice. Those lands are open to everyone and people could be anywhere in front of where are shooting. As for IDPA itself yes great fun and good training.

As a footnote if you do shoot on public land please pick up after your self Holds down the bad press. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Boy View Post

One more note about IDPA and/or USPSA shooting. My epxerience has been that one of the greatest practical values of these shooting sports, and the most difficult to replicate in any other way, is adrenaline. IMO, you haven't learned a whole lot of anything useful until you've come to experience the challenge of making the shot when you're all pumped up on adrenaline. I feel that learning to deal with that challenge makes these games worth playing.

Yes on the adreneline, at least for me. With it being timed, people watching, all the safety rules, and the course to remember, it still gets mine pumping. I've only been at it since November, and it's a very very inexpensive (compared to other training) & practical stepping stone for me. I'm not really interested in competing, but I might...just for the added stress.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I shoot at our country place. I set up targets at different ranges, draw, move and shoot. Also a lot of plinking off the porch. I am the slayer of pop cans.

I shoot at the company range. It was opened in 1958 or so and is a real company asset. We had an EVP that was a shooting fan and put his reputation on the line to keep it open. I heard it was the only one left that the company owns. It is real cool we run 3 nights of IDPA style competitions and each one is a different level.

We can't use it during normal work hours. Weekends are sometimes 3-gun comp. I've heard several local companies once had ranges but most are closed.

+1 on IDPA, good practice under mild stress, good people, good time and useful. I joined a private gun club where I can get a private pistol bay most anytime, practice draw from concealment, shooting on the move, different body positions, etc. Every member takes a safety course when joining, and is qualified as and expected to act as range officer when one of the designated ROs isn't present.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links