Tuscaloosa gun ban

Tuscaloosa gun ban

This is a discussion on Tuscaloosa gun ban within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not form Tuscaloosa but nearby Birmingham. Thought this was an interesting find. Funny how he thinks he can change the laws at his discrepancy. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuscaloosa gun ban

Tuscaloosa gun ban

I'm not form Tuscaloosa but nearby Birmingham. Thought this was an interesting find.

Funny how he thinks he can change the laws at his discrepancy.

Tuscaloosa mayor bans guns from city facilities
    By John A. MacDonald -- The Birmingham News
    March 03, 2010, 8:05AM

"Tuscaloosa's mayor has banned guns at city facilities including City Hall, the Tuscaloosa News reports.

Mayor Walt Maddox said the order is similar to an ordinance the City Council is considering. He said the ban isn't tied to a specific incident, but that officials have had a group threaten to attend a council meeting with armed supporters, according to the newspaper."
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    This is not uncommon. Most cities and states forbid weapons in gov't facilities.
    The case currently before the Supreme Court (McDonald vs City of Chicago) is going to have a large impact on these laws.

"he can change the laws at his 'discrepancy.'" You mean his "discretion."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Mayor Walt Maddox said the order is similar to an ordinance the City Council is considering. He said the ban isn't tied to a specific incident, but that officials have had a group threaten to attend a council meeting with armed supporters, according to the newspaper."

Threatened or just told that legal 2A supporters would be there.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This is not uncommon. Most cities and states forbid weapons in gov't facilities.
    The case currently before the Supreme Court (McDonald vs City of Chicago) is going to have a large impact on these laws.

"he can change the laws at his 'discrepancy.'" You mean his "discretion."
    I don't think so. McDonald is only going to overturn Chicago's gun ban (onerous red-tape and bureaucracy will remain, though). Most people consider banning guns at government buildings to be 'reasonable regulation' as per Heller.

The Honorable Mayor is over stepping his authority with regard to handguns anyway. The State of Alabama has complete preemption with regard to all handguns laws. Now the Sheriff of the county can restrict Pistol Permit holders from carrying concealed into municipal buildings, and most around the state do. But no municipality can legally enforce ordinances on anything but long guns unless they have local ordinances that exactly mirror the state law. If a group wanted to walk in OC'ing their pistols, they could be asked to leave or face trespass charges if they refuse, but that's about it, legally speaking anyway.

I live in Tuscaloosa. This city has real problems and all he is concerned about is banning guns.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 3rd, 2010 at 03:52 PM.

Cool

So many experts here. The vast majority of state, county and citys prohibit carrying handguns into government buildings. What is new here?
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 3rd, 2010 at 03:53 PM.

Roll Tide!

I was in Tuscaloosa recently because my dad passed away in DCH.

I hate to hear this sort of thing. Sometimes politicians get a "god" complex and feel that they should be able to make the rules, regardless of the rights of their "subjects."
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    So many experts here. The vast majority of state, county and citys prohibit carrying handguns into government buildings. What is new here?
    Just because the "vast majority" does something doesn't make it the standard. The Alabama State Constitution strictly prohibits any local laws that infringe of state gun laws.
    Last edited by HotGuns; March 3rd, 2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: quoting deleted post
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    So many experts here. The vast majority of state, county and citys prohibit carrying handguns into government buildings.
    Come visit Virginia, where state law strictly prohibits localities from enforcing any firearm carry regulations whatsoever beyond those in state law (except that long guns in a vehicle must be unloaded on a public street, but you can have a loaded magazine right next to it).

We also have full open carry without a license and likely on July 1 will be able to CC in restaurants
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

And Cpl. What in the world does a person's sexual orientation have to do with the subject here? Red herring?
    "preemption: means a municipality can't make up it's own laws concerning the ownership or carry of firearms. a vast majority of states do NOT prohibit carry, btw.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 3rd, 2010 at 03:57 PM.

roll tide roll!

yea.. McDonald vs City of Chicago certainly wont change anything like this directly. it will hopefully get rid of some city's 'absolutely no guns' laws.. but wont effect where you can and cant carry
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Administrator
    Keep the comments on topic, some of us are more sensitive than others.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Same applies in Montana, as far as I know for quite a long time.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Unless there is a court or Justice of the peace office in a city or county building in Texas they can't prohibit concealed carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links