Powerball ammo in NJ?

This is a discussion on Powerball ammo in NJ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know if NJ considers Glaser Pow'RBall ammo hollow-point or not? Thanks!...

Thread: Powerball ammo in NJ?

Powerball ammo in NJ?

Does anyone know if NJ considers Glaser Pow'RBall ammo hollow-point or not?
    Thanks!
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

2. Remove Ads

NYCMedic,

Sorry if this post is useless. After a quick search all I found was conflicting opinions on this issue. If I recall correctly from an article by Mas Ayoob, the penalty for having Hollow Points is $1000 a round! So until you receive a rock solid, verified answer I would load up with lead or FMJ for Jersey. It seems like the NJ law would be a hot topic of conversation in this regard, but like I said, I found no concrete answers for ya!

Cheers,
    Collin

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    For God, Family and Country!

EW3
    Right from the NJ State Police website:

Transportation And Use Of Hollow Point Ammunition By Sportsmen

Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
    N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).
    New Jersey State Police - Transportation and Use of Hollow Point Ammunition by Sportsmen
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Wow you guys in NJ reaaaaaaaalllly need to replace your governement.

Any victim that gets hits by a thru & thru should sue the State back to the stone age by limiting JHP use and increasing the risk of such injuries.

I wonder what the cops use in New Jersey??

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I wonder what the cops use in New Jersey??
    New Jersey LEOs are exempt, thus allowed to carry HP's. Interestingly, from what I've read, out-of-state LEOs carrying in NJ pursuant to LEOSA/HR218 are not exempt. Go figure.

About four (4) years ago, I spoke with Cor-Bon founder, Peter Pi, by telephone and he assured me that his Pow'RBall ammo is legal under the then current New Jersey law.

I have carried Pow'RBall since then whenever I was in New York City (carrying legally under LEOSA) and believed that I might have even the slightest possibility that I could be crossing over into the Garden State.
    Last edited by Captain38; March 4th, 2010 at 03:11 PM.

If the OP's concern arises because he qualifies under LEOSHA, then, as stated, you cannot carry hollowpoints. But, with the above exception, you can't carry in NJ anyway (unless you're one of the privileged few).

Most people do not understand the whole "hollowpoint" thing with NJ. Essenetially it is an "add-on" charge if someone commits a crime with a firearm. Yes, you can be charged if you are simply carrying them around, outside the limitations specified in the law. But here is a different and a little more scarey perspective.

I think that many of us, myself included, have been laboring under a misconception about hollow-points, EFMJ’s, PowrBalls, soft-points, etc. I know that all of the above are legal under the conditions defined in the statute, but the NJ shooter’s fear centers on inadvertently having a prohibited projectile in our possession; i.e. Had some in your pocket at the range and forgot to empty them back into your range bag; Or, Some fell out of your range bag while transporting and rolled under the seat – or any other scenario you can imagine. We seem to think that using EFMJ’s or soft-points or even cast bullets would preclude us from being prosecuted under the conditions described above.

While perusing the PAFOA forums, I ran across this interpretation of the NJ “hollow-point statute”. The poster stipulated that this came from a firearm knowledgeable attorney whose opinion was sought when the poster was taking a security job in NJ.

While the NJ statute specifically names hollow-points, it also includes “dum-dums”, by name, as prohibited ammunition. The statute fails to define dum-dum. Those who know their firearm history know these originated at the Dum Dum Arsenal in India, when, in an effort to make their ammo more lethal, soldiers cut grooves into the nose of their lead bullets. However, under the current, contemporary definition, it is simply an expanding bullet. Wikipedia defines expanding bullet as…

…an expanding bullet is a bullet designed to expand on impact, increasing in diameter to limit penetration and/or produce a larger diameter wound. There are many expanding bullet designs, though the most commonly encountered are the hollow point bullet and the soft point bullet.

Thus, technically, you could be charged under the NJ statute for possession of any expanding bullet ammunition possessed outside the strict parameters defined in the statute (from the POP to home, to & from the range, etc.). So beware, there is no escaping NJ "justice".

I would say that using Federal's EFMJ’s may be a hedge against any unpleasantness, as most LEO’s would think it was simply FMJ’ed ammo, based on its appearance. But one overzealous LEO and prosecuter could seriously rain on your parade, based on getting caught with almost any ammo.

Curious to read what you think of the above.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I can't answer your quesiton but suggest you look into Federal's Expandable Full Metal Jacket ammo.
    I have federal's E-FMJ in 45, but was looking for something in 38 special. I wonder why they don't make E-FMJs in 38 special?
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

For whatever it's worth, I was recently speaking to a local NJ gunshop owner, and he told me that hollowpoints and other expanding rounds are legal to have and shoot here in Jersey so long as they are used for lawful purposes.
    When I expressed surprise, he told me the subject is addressed in two different places in NJ code.
    I haven't looked into it any further, and I still don't own any hollowpoint ammo.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

The definition is related to sportsman or (Hunters) which can use hollowpoint ammo in nj. while hunting. Muzzleloader bullets,shotgun slugs, etc.... that is what they mean by sportsman. Do yourself a big favor and get out of this anti gun anti everything state I know I am. Look at it this way the way everything is written in this state everything is illegal. New Jersey SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

From my law enforcement friends in Jersey they can't carry their hollow points off duty.
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

How about taking a flight out of Newark airport. Can you transport hollow-points if they're boxed?

Links