Winter/Summer. Comfort or Security?

This is a discussion on Winter/Summer. Comfort or Security? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read a lot of threads were for the most, forumites agree that the "same personal sidearm" is carried ALL year. Some talk about sweat, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter/Summer. Comfort or Security?

Winter/Summer. Comfort or Security?

I've read a lot of threads were for the most, forumites agree that the "same personal sidearm" is carried ALL year. Some talk about sweat, finish durability (i.e. rust), comfort, FAMILIARIZATION with your choice of handgun.

My question is. Does anyone think about your caliber of choice stopping power?. Does your trusty 9mm will work the same against a thug in T shirt and shorts, as opposed to the same thug dressed in layers?. Leather on top of denim, on top of a flannel, on top of a T shirt?.

Personally my choices do vary some. We all know that a trip to the mail box is not the same as an all day carry situation. My ALL year choice is a full size 1911. Either my TRP or my TRS. This is what I carry all day, all year, and is my basic EDC. When convinient, (and legal, at least in my home state) I carry a BUG.

Fall and winter is another 1911, but smaller. A commander slide on officers frame ( Sig Sauer 1911 C3 ).

In the summer my BUG is a J frame model 60-14 Lady Smith .357Mag, or my 638-2 .38+P. Specially in the woods. I like to carry a few shot shells for snakes, and what not.

Speaking of woods I have my woods EDCs. For cold weather, and hunting season my choice is a G20C, and in the summer is a two tone Sig P229 in .357Sig.

If I think that I will be exposed to an "Orange" condition situation. Night traveling, bumps in the night, etc. I go for my mini hand cannons. That's why my 1911s, and my G20C, or P229 stay loaded ALL YEAR AROUND!.

2. Remove Ads

Glock-36!
    Same gun, same ammo same clothing (almost)...year-round...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Like retsupt, same weapon, same load year around. CZ75 P-06, .40 cal 165gr Federal HST.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I carry the same gun year round. But in the winter I can carry a larger capacity round mag in it because of my jacket.

Don't quote me on this but I've heard a 9mm is better against heavier clothing because it doesn't expand as rapidly as a larger caliber.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

GM
    Same guns and same ammo
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I carry the same firearm all year in the same holster, Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro that can be worn with a T-shirt in the summer (IWB) or with a coat in the winter (OWB). The only difference is ammo, for the OP reason of clothing. In the winter, I use a different JHP that has some coating over top the hollow tip that prevents the clothing from interfering with expansion and thus eliminating any or all over penetration. In the summer, its just normal JHP's.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbahoundog View Post
    Does your trusty 9mm will work the same against a thug in T shirt and shorts, as opposed to the same thug dressed in layers?. Leather on top of denim, on top of a flannel, on top of a T shirt?.
    Pretty much. Denim and leather are not effective body armor. Could expansion be affected, well, possibly a little but either way you are going to need those CNS shots to stop an attack immediately anyway.

I haven't done testing personally, but I have full confidence that my carry rounds (gold dot 9mm 124+p) will penetrate and expand sufficiently regardless of the clothing being worn by the attacker. I would have the same confidence with any other high quality carry round in a major defensive caliber.

IMO there are about a million other things to worry about that are more important than the potential for an attacker wearing heavy clothing.

If you are worried about over penetration because of innocents downrange, you should reposition before taking the shot anyway.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

If stopping power is your main consideration, you shouldn't carry a handgun at all. Even the best handgun calibers are not truly effective man-stoppers. I am curious as to how you are going to get that 18 1/2" barreled pistol gripped Remington 870 12 gauge to hide in a IWB holster underneath the T-Shirt. I am afraid that you are going to have to learn how to walk a little different.

Most of the rest of us will probably stick with carrying a weapon that fits our climate and dress codes.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

The Hornady Critical Defense rounds are designed for better penetration and then expansion. From basic tests it appears that it functions for the most part the way it is designed. I've been carrying it in my small 9mm and snub 38s. I've got numerous carry guns depending on situation, attire, carry method, etc. I've had no issues with it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

kimber ultra aegis II (3" 9mm 1911) with gold dot shot barrel +p
    all the time. Only differance is in the winter I carry more mags b/c its easier to
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Same same, all year.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

My attire varies with the occasion. I do have my favorites though.
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I live in Phoenix, where there are two seasons: summer and road construction. There is little reason to worry about too much clothing here! However, I carry Hornady Critical Defense just in case...
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Sig p229 with Winchester Bonded pdx1 and or Ruger sp101 in the winter.
    Colt Government 380 and or Ruger sp101 in the summer.

You left out the August Monsoon season

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I live in Phoenix, where there are two seasons: summer and road construction. There is little reason to worry about too much clothing here! However, I carry Hornady Critical Defense just in case...
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links