Defensive Carry banner

Winter/Summer. Comfort or Security?

2K views 20 replies 21 participants last post by  Blue Jacket 
#1 ·
I've read a lot of threads were for the most, forumites agree that the "same personal sidearm" is carried ALL year. Some talk about sweat, finish durability (i.e. rust), comfort, FAMILIARIZATION with your choice of handgun.

My question is. Does anyone think about your caliber of choice stopping power?. Does your trusty 9mm will work the same against a thug in T shirt and shorts, as opposed to the same thug dressed in layers?. Leather on top of denim, on top of a flannel, on top of a T shirt?.

Personally my choices do vary some. We all know that a trip to the mail box is not the same as an all day carry situation. My ALL year choice is a full size 1911. Either my TRP or my TRS. This is what I carry all day, all year, and is my basic EDC. When convinient, (and legal, at least in my home state) I carry a BUG.

Fall and winter is another 1911, but smaller. A commander slide on officers frame ( Sig Sauer 1911 C3 ).

In the summer my BUG is a J frame model 60-14 Lady Smith .357Mag, or my 638-2 .38+P. Specially in the woods. I like to carry a few shot shells for snakes, and what not.

Speaking of woods I have my woods EDCs. For cold weather, and hunting season my choice is a G20C, and in the summer is a two tone Sig P229 in .357Sig.

If I think that I will be exposed to an "Orange" condition situation. Night traveling, bumps in the night, etc. I go for my mini hand cannons. That's why my 1911s, and my G20C, or P229 stay loaded ALL YEAR AROUND!.:comeandgetsome:

See less See more
#2 ·
Glock-36!:danceban:
Same gun, same ammo same clothing (almost)...year-round...:comeandgetsome:

#4 ·
I carry the same gun year round. But in the winter I can carry a larger capacity round mag in it because of my jacket.

Don't quote me on this but I've heard a 9mm is better against heavier clothing because it doesn't expand as rapidly as a larger caliber.

#6 ·
I carry the same firearm all year in the same holster, Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro that can be worn with a T-shirt in the summer (IWB) or with a coat in the winter (OWB). The only difference is ammo, for the OP reason of clothing. In the winter, I use a different JHP that has some coating over top the hollow tip that prevents the clothing from interfering with expansion and thus eliminating any or all over penetration. In the summer, its just normal JHP's.

#7 ·
Does your trusty 9mm will work the same against a thug in T shirt and shorts, as opposed to the same thug dressed in layers?. Leather on top of denim, on top of a flannel, on top of a T shirt?.
Pretty much. Denim and leather are not effective body armor. Could expansion be affected, well, possibly a little but either way you are going to need those CNS shots to stop an attack immediately anyway.

I haven't done testing personally, but I have full confidence that my carry rounds (gold dot 9mm 124+p) will penetrate and expand sufficiently regardless of the clothing being worn by the attacker. I would have the same confidence with any other high quality carry round in a major defensive caliber.

IMO there are about a million other things to worry about that are more important than the potential for an attacker wearing heavy clothing.

If you are worried about over penetration because of innocents downrange, you should reposition before taking the shot anyway.

#8 ·
If stopping power is your main consideration, you shouldn't carry a handgun at all. Even the best handgun calibers are not truly effective man-stoppers. I am curious as to how you are going to get that 18 1/2" barreled pistol gripped Remington 870 12 gauge to hide in a IWB holster underneath the T-Shirt. I am afraid that you are going to have to learn how to walk a little different.

Most of the rest of us will probably stick with carrying a weapon that fits our climate and dress codes.

#9 ·
The Hornady Critical Defense rounds are designed for better penetration and then expansion. From basic tests it appears that it functions for the most part the way it is designed. I've been carrying it in my small 9mm and snub 38s. I've got numerous carry guns depending on situation, attire, carry method, etc. I've had no issues with it.

#15 ·
You left out the August Monsoon season

#19 ·
I carry difference guns for different situations. In the summer it's usually a 642 or LCP and maybe the G26. In cooler weather I'll carry the G19, G26 or Kimber Tactical Ultra...

#21 ·
Auto or revolver in OWB holster in winter under heavy cover. In the hot summer I pocket carry a LCP. It's just practical for me and beats nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.