Another threat of violence at my workplace - Page 3

Another threat of violence at my workplace

This is a discussion on Another threat of violence at my workplace within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anytime somebody threatens you with bodily harm and you believe they are capable of carryingt it out and in fear,that is called a terroristic threat ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Another threat of violence at my workplace

Anytime somebody threatens you with bodily harm and you believe they are capable of carryingt it out and in fear,that is called a terroristic threat and is a felony you need to file a report with the police and press charges
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by J400Cali View Post
    I'm in California, 10 day waiting period. I know some states have a 3 day waiting period but same day service!!!! I like that!!
    In Florida if you have your concealed weapons permit (we can carry almost anything here vs some states that are only concealed firearm :-D) its only a quick phone call to tallahassee to make sure your permit is still valid, you pay and you're on your way. If no permit then its 3 day waiting period

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    For most of the country the answer to your question is yes. If the store opens at 8 am, and I had the cash, I could likely walk out with one by 8:20. My CCP is my purchase permit and background check basically. Come to America, it's a great place!
    Ditto for New Hampshire!!
    My last gun purchase was made on Feb. 15th...President's Day.....
    NICS check took less than 10 minutes.....came out with a NIB Glock 27!

You can get a gun the same day where you are?!?!
    Come on over to Tennessee. Welcome to America.

IMHO, not a wise thing to post. What you are doing is against company policy, and if you were called upon to use your weapon, posts like this might have a negative affect on any litigation. Perhaps the "Clinton Policy" might be wiser - don't ask, don't tell.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Thumbs up ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I am really starting to get fed up with this. It is going to take someone getting KILLED before people start to open there eyes.

A few months ago I posted a thread about a threat of racially motivated violence at my place of employment. I work for a community college in a pretty rough neighbor hood. If you don’t remember the thread the general gist of it was a hostile student stormed out of our main building yelling “I’m going to get my gun and kill every **** in this building’.

I was upset for several reason. I could care less about the racial slur. I was upset because our campus is a no weapons zone and we have no armed security. The way I look at that is that my employer is not willing to protect me while at the same time they are telling me I am not able to protect myself. I was also upset at the overall lack of a response. It seemed to me that the administration more or less said “Ehhh, it was just a angry threat, nothing is going to happen” .

So yesterday we had yet another one. “I’m going to get my **** gun!!” as she storms out. Yet again I am unarmed. This time I was MAD. The head of security was in meetings all day yesterday discussing the incident but he was in his office today so I got a chance to talk to him. I said “Look, it’s high time someone take’s a look at our on campus weapons policy, this is stupid. None of the good guys around here are armed and we are at the mercy of a bad guy if anything were ever to happen”. He replied “Look, this isn’t a battle either one of us wants to fight if we value our jobs. That being said I have heard a rumor that some of the good guys are armed but since it’s just a rumor I don’t know who they are and if I can’t see it what can I do about it? Wink wink”

If there is one thing I have learned in higher education it’s how to speak without saying anything and that when someone disagrees with a policy they ignore it without leaving a paper trail. Basically, I got his drift. I took my lunch break to go to my local gun store and pick up a ruger LCP (I had been wanting one for awhile anyway) and a uncle mikes pocket holster. It spent the rest of the day (And every day from here on) riding in my strong side pocket and I felt a heck of a lot better for it! I also feel better knowing there are at least a couple other armed good guys on campus as well.

That being said the weapons policy NEEDS TO CHANGE.
    i was actually going to suggest this and then read you had already did it.

this is basically my set up with a couple differences.

i use a p3at in an uncle mikes p/h in my back right pocket. use to be my wallet pocket. wallet got moved to the left back pocket...

Kel-Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP "the go anywhere guns"
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Got a guy at work that's a real jekyll/hyde type.. You can say 2 words and literally watch his face turn red slowly from the neck up.

I'm outside the office one day and he's on the cell phone yelling at someone, I walked by and said good morning... He turns around and looks me in the eye and says quote "I swear I'm going to bring my shotgun up here and blow a hole in every d**k swinging". Naturally, company policy says we can't carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    IMHO, not a wise thing to post. What you are doing is against company policy, and if you were called upon to use your weapon, posts like this might have a negative affect on any litigation. Perhaps the "Clinton Policy" might be wiser - don't ask, don't tell.
    +1
    Were the threats heard by other people? If there were
    other witnesses, why not just pick up the phone and dial 911?

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Anytime somebody threatens you with bodily harm and you believe they are capable of carryingt it out and in fear,that is called a terroristic threat and is a felony you need to file a report with the police and press charges
    +1

a call to law enforcement should be mandatory in a case like this...in the event an act of violence does take place and information regarding ignoring a previous threat is released there will be legal repercussions...you have an obligation to take threats seriously...

there have been enough real tragedies to support a call to law enforcement...take it seriously...a statement like that is no different than saying you have a bomb on an airplane...if someone makes a threat like that they should be prepared to spend some time answering questions from law enforcement...

Good for you!

I'm a very honest person myself and I'll always try to do the right thing, given the opportunity. That being said, I also consider myself to be a realest as well as a survivalist. I'll follow the letter of the law until it puts me or my family in harms way, then my survival instinct takes over and I make adjustments to compensate for what's troubling about my situation. I have yet to carry where it's illegal as defined by my states CC code, but I'll ignore a policy in a heart beat. I have a good deal of respect for my fellow man, but very little for their idea of how and where I can defend myself, that my friend is totally up to me, and the situation.

Stay safe Rollo, and IMO, excellent choice on the LCP. Excellent pocket pistol IMO. If ya didn't get a chance to see the Best Defense last evening, try to check it out online, or rerun. Michael Bane was showcasing the LCP with Ed Head. It was pretty cool to see the LCP being praised as a viable option for SD instead of getting trashed. Ed illustrates IMO the proper mindset and use for the .380 round and the mousegun platform.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Remember Rollo, it is much better to be judged by 12 than carried by six. Stay safe and stay silent. You are so right, the policy needs to change.

Damn, I could not imagine having to wait 10 days to buy a new gun... I guess I like living in free America........... WOLVERINES.

I'm in California, 10 day waiting period. I know some states have a 3 day waiting period but same day service!!!! I like that!!
    Like he said come to America!

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1959 View Post
    Remember Rollo, it is much better to be judged by 12 than carried by six. Stay safe and stay silent. You are so right, the policy needs to change.

Damn, I could not imagine having to wait 10 days to buy a new gun... I guess I like living in free America........... WOLVERINES.
    Thats a good show. just watched it again last week.

just be careful out there, and tell no one.

guess you could start showing up for with in full SWAT armor..... some how I think you might get a label after that.. but he!! they should be stepping up security there.....

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Rollo:

Just a thought here--if you can "safely" do this--I'd suggest that you send a written (maybe email) memorandum of concern to the school administration, stating your justifiable concerns for your and other faculty's safety. You should include these two incidents, with names and dates. You could state that you are concerned about the administration's failure to take adequate safety precautions.

This way, while you "run silent, run deep", if something were to happen(either you had to take action to protect yourself, or you were "discovered" and had the school take administrative action against you), your attorney could use your emailed concerns and the schools lack of response as justification for your actions........

Your attorney could argue in court that the school created or allowed a dangerous/hostile work enviroment and did nothing to correct it, even though you brought it formally to their attention......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Good move, Rollo.

I'll switch to a DeSantis pocket holster when I wanna carry the LCP up front. You could pat me down and never find that thing there.

The LCP may not be a rocket launcher, but it's always with me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links