Another threat of violence at my workplace

This is a discussion on Another threat of violence at my workplace within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious question. In relation to Rolo's orginal post about his purchase and intent, at his request to moderators, can this thread be deleted and purged ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Another threat of violence at my workplace

Curious question. In relation to Rolo's orginal post about his purchase and intent, at his request to moderators, can this thread be deleted and purged from the system to prevent possible usage by LE/school administration should something "happen" in the future?

Good luck Rollo.

Respectfully-Kyle
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle18 View Post
    Curious question. In relation to Rolo's orginal post about his purchase and intent, at his request to moderators, can this thread be deleted and purged from the system to prevent possible usage by LE/school administration should something "happen" in the future?

Good luck Rollo.

Respectfully-Kyle
    That's funny. This is the Internet and nothing ever goes away. I'm sure dozens of search engines have already cached the page. I work in the networking field and I can tell you with absolute certainty that there are numerous ways of retrieving a piece of information even after it is long gone from the originating server.

^^^^^^Sounbds like we'll be adding conspiracy charges to this as well.

Congrats on getting armed. You didn't mention it but you are carrying some additional ammo in a discrete location aren't you. I wouldn't want to depend on five with an armed crazy person on campus.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    To people who suggest that reporting this type of thing repeatedly to the school and/or media would make them change their minds:

This type of thing, in their minds, is exactly why they should have a 'no guns' policy. If anything, it'll make them think they are not strict enough. The response will probably be to try to increase penalties for violating the policy.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    ^^^^^^Sounbds like we'll be adding conspiracy charges to this as well.
    No, I was just explaining that things don't "go away" as easily as most non-technofiles realize.

Thanks, Naking, you confirmed what I suspected. (If I don't want the world to know, don't post it).

Again, good luck Rollo.

Kyle
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Why not send a copy to the local news also. If they get enough reports they may do a story about the threat of violence on local campus's. I am sure if they air the story during the summer recruitment period for new students it would make the adminstration wish they had done something!
    wouldnt it be easier to just report it to the police and actually allow them to investigate it?

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    To people who suggest that reporting this type of thing repeatedly to the school and/or media would make them change their minds:

This type of thing, in their minds, is exactly why they should have a 'no guns' policy. If anything, it'll make them think they are not strict enough. The response will probably be to try to increase penalties for violating the policy.
    now thats the kind of flawed thinking that gets people killed...not the schools...yours...

by demanding the school report the incident to the authorities you are reinforcing the fact that they are responsible for limiting what they will allow from their students...in their minds the no gun policy already worked in this situation...if the student was allowed to carry a gun they already would have shot someone...so the school believes they are right already...what they need is to have someone remind them that "no gun" policy or not....there was a threat and if it goes unanswered or uninvestigated they will be held responsible for not following up on it....

i have got to admit that on a forum where a great deal of posts involve not answering the door to jehovahs witnesses without a loaded cannon in ones hand it is beyond my comprehension that someone would allow a verbal threat of death or great harm go unanswered....other than purchasing a gun just in case and hoping youll get the shot off before youre in someones sights...

an opportunity has presented itself that begs for law enforcement intervention...the risk to carry against the rules comes easily with the threat of losing your job...but the easy task of picking up a phone and making a report does not...interesting choices...if something happens and youre not involved will you feel some responsibility for not reporting the threat?...or will you pass it off on others because you dont think it was your responsibility to make the call even though you heard the threat?...is it real or do you think the same thing the administration thinks? (it was just a threat...nothing will happen)...

who's responsibility is it?...

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I'm not saying don't report real threats to the police.

What I'm saying is, don't expect it to have the effect you desire when it comes to the administration.

Report, just don't expect miracles.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I'm not saying don't report real threats to the police.

What I'm saying is, don't expect it to have the effect you desire when it comes to the administration.

Report, just don't expect miracles.
    i dont expect miracles...i do expect adults to be able to make a rational decision when threatened...and not worry about wether its gonna change the school policy or not....the school policy isnt an issue...even if they allowed guns on campus theres a possibility people could get killed....the issue is there was a threat made and it needs to be responded to....

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    It does sound like there should be more done then arming up. Have the police been contacted about this matter yet?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Would it be illegal to have an EMPTY gun locked up in your office on campus and some ammo locked up in your office in another drawer or cabinet?? It is not ideal; but; if a shooter shows up on campus you could conceivably get a gun and some ammo pronto; yet not be breaking the law because you dont routinely have a loaded gun. Any lawyers with thoughts??
    II Kings 2; 23-25

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    This, ladies and gents, is the very definition of sheep (the two-legged kind)...this is why we carry....this is why school shootings continue to happen. You have someone (an adult) clearly articulate a threat, yet the adminstration does absolutely nothing.

I say, good on you for taking the necessary steps to protect yourself.

Next--are all of these threats properly documented? Is there process to report these actions? Can you forward a letter/memo documenting these events to the administration? I would recommend the student's explusion, first. Then a restraining order (personal info to be retrieved from the Bursar's office)--prohibiting this person from coming near you, your house, or place of work.

Keep a record.

If nothing happens, send a copy of your letters (and responses) to the governing body of the school. After that, hit the press...send them everything. Put pressure on the school to do something more than bury their head in the sand. Metal detectors do not work...people shooting back at BGs make them stop.
    I agree. Simply questioning policies may allow them to get rid of you claiming some other reason. Get it all on record and document every event, who you contacted, etc.. Then if you are let go, you have the makings of a lawsuit.

I personally am against most lawsuits feeling that they are paid for by the hard working people of this country, but if someone was let go for being vigilant, I'd support one.

Quote Originally Posted by naking View Post
    That's funny. This is the Internet and nothing ever goes away. I'm sure dozens of search engines have already cached the page. I work in the networking field and I can tell you with absolute certainty that there are numerous ways of retrieving a piece of information even after it is long gone from the originating server.
    Here's but only one of the ways: Wayback Machine

Comes in handy when you remember something from the past but it's not available anymore.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links