Another threat of violence at my workplace

This is a discussion on Another threat of violence at my workplace within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am really starting to get fed up with this. It is going to take someone getting KILLED before people start to open there eyes. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another threat of violence at my workplace

Another threat of violence at my workplace

I am really starting to get fed up with this. It is going to take someone getting KILLED before people start to open there eyes.

A few months ago I posted a thread about a threat of racially motivated violence at my place of employment. I work for a community college in a pretty rough neighbor hood. If you don’t remember the thread the general gist of it was a hostile student stormed out of our main building yelling “I’m going to get my gun and kill every **** in this building’.

I was upset for several reason. I could care less about the racial slur. I was upset because our campus is a no weapons zone and we have no armed security. The way I look at that is that my employer is not willing to protect me while at the same time they are telling me I am not able to protect myself. I was also upset at the overall lack of a response. It seemed to me that the administration more or less said “Ehhh, it was just a angry threat, nothing is going to happen” .

So yesterday we had yet another one. “I’m going to get my **** gun!!” as she storms out. Yet again I am unarmed. This time I was MAD. The head of security was in meetings all day yesterday discussing the incident but he was in his office today so I got a chance to talk to him. I said “Look, it’s high time someone take’s a look at our on campus weapons policy, this is stupid. None of the good guys around here are armed and we are at the mercy of a bad guy if anything were ever to happen”. He replied “Look, this isn’t a battle either one of us wants to fight if we value our jobs. That being said I have heard a rumor that some of the good guys are armed but since it’s just a rumor I don’t know who they are and if I can’t see it what can I do about it? Wink wink”

If there is one thing I have learned in higher education it’s how to speak without saying anything and that when someone disagrees with a policy they ignore it without leaving a paper trail. Basically, I got his drift. I took my lunch break to go to my local gun store and pick up a ruger LCP (I had been wanting one for awhile anyway) and a uncle mikes pocket holster. It spent the rest of the day (And every day from here on) riding in my strong side pocket and I felt a heck of a lot better for it! I also feel better knowing there are at least a couple other armed good guys on campus as well.

That being said the weapons policy NEEDS TO CHANGE.
    Last edited by Paco; March 3rd, 2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Language workarounds
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Just be careful. If he finds out and decides to out you then there is nothing to fall back on.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Sadly, it's probably only going to get worse, NATIONWIDE...Frustrations are going to continue to build everywhere, including educational institutions. I respect the decision you've made. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Rollo,

Sorry to hear of your situation... but congrats on the new Ruger!

Now you need to update your 'tag line' to include your new addition.

Similar position here. College student, credible threat, campus security can't act because there's no crime committed yet. The campus security guy gave me the same wink-wink nudge-nudge but if he decides to turn on me I'm screwed. Can't win...

Stay armed...tell NO ONE...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good luck man, SA
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Stay armed...tell NO ONE...stay safe!
    ........x 2

"Don't ask, don't tell"... Wait, thats a different issue... Ummm...

Concealed means concealed!
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

I'm flabbergasted that the school administration did not call the police. In today's times with the proliferation of school violence, that sort of statement in most any type of school would land someone is serious trouble. If you heard the person say that, then you also have the right to report it to police as you felt your safety was in jeopardy. That is a threat in no uncertain terms. What about the risks and legal liability if that student came in one day and acted on his threat? That's serious stuff and the school should take it seriously.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

With a threat like "I'm going to kill every ****** in this building", you should be able to attack that person and take him into custody.

I cannot believe that after multiple threats of armed gunmen entering your building and shooting everyone that security has not tightened up. Or policy change or something. I would continue to carry, but keep it hidden. If you have to use it, then face those consequences, at least your alive.

If your Uncle Mikes holster is a #2 pocket it will be to deep for an effective draw.

I put a 1/2 inch filler in the bottom of mine and it works much better.

I ware dress clothes most all the time, and have now tried 6 different holsters for my P3AT.

The best of the lot has been the UM #2 pocket holster and Bull Dogs copy of the Tartus TCP holster (basically a little over size phone case that the P3AT fits in upside down. To draw you unsnap it and push up on slide of gun using the hole in bottom of case. This pushes the grip up for a very fast, easy and effect draw.)

Found the Bull Dog holster works fairly well for drawing while driving.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by coriantan View Post
    "Don't ask, don't tell"... Wait, thats a different issue... Ummm...

Concealed means concealed!
    +1!
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

^^^ +2
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links