Defensive Carry banner

Another threat of violence at my workplace

7K views 84 replies 69 participants last post by  usmc3169 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am really starting to get fed up with this. It is going to take someone getting KILLED before people start to open there eyes.

A few months ago I posted a thread about a threat of racially motivated violence at my place of employment. I work for a community college in a pretty rough neighbor hood. If you don’t remember the thread the general gist of it was a hostile student stormed out of our main building yelling “I’m going to get my gun and kill every **** in this building’.

I was upset for several reason. I could care less about the racial slur. I was upset because our campus is a no weapons zone and we have no armed security. The way I look at that is that my employer is not willing to protect me while at the same time they are telling me I am not able to protect myself. I was also upset at the overall lack of a response. It seemed to me that the administration more or less said “Ehhh, it was just a angry threat, nothing is going to happen” .

So yesterday we had yet another one. “I’m going to get my **** gun!!” as she storms out. Yet again I am unarmed. This time I was MAD. The head of security was in meetings all day yesterday discussing the incident but he was in his office today so I got a chance to talk to him. I said “Look, it’s high time someone take’s a look at our on campus weapons policy, this is stupid. None of the good guys around here are armed and we are at the mercy of a bad guy if anything were ever to happen”. He replied “Look, this isn’t a battle either one of us wants to fight if we value our jobs. That being said I have heard a rumor that some of the good guys are armed but since it’s just a rumor I don’t know who they are and if I can’t see it what can I do about it? Wink wink”

If there is one thing I have learned in higher education it’s how to speak without saying anything and that when someone disagrees with a policy they ignore it without leaving a paper trail. Basically, I got his drift. I took my lunch break to go to my local gun store and pick up a ruger LCP (I had been wanting one for awhile anyway) and a uncle mikes pocket holster. It spent the rest of the day (And every day from here on) riding in my strong side pocket and I felt a heck of a lot better for it! I also feel better knowing there are at least a couple other armed good guys on campus as well.

That being said the weapons policy NEEDS TO CHANGE.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sadly, it's probably only going to get worse, NATIONWIDE...Frustrations are going to continue to build everywhere, including educational institutions. I respect the decision you've made. JMO

#7 ·
Good luck man, SA

#10 ·
I'm flabbergasted that the school administration did not call the police. In today's times with the proliferation of school violence, that sort of statement in most any type of school would land someone is serious trouble. If you heard the person say that, then you also have the right to report it to police as you felt your safety was in jeopardy. That is a threat in no uncertain terms. What about the risks and legal liability if that student came in one day and acted on his threat? That's serious stuff and the school should take it seriously.

#19 ·
Then Rollo would be guilt of assault, over someone's comment, unless he is a LEO or Security Guard for the college. My suggestion would be to notify the local and school authorities and make sure you have a good picture of this person, say from their school ID.

Since you are at a school I can't legally suggest you carry, do what you have to but I would not suggest breaking the law.

#12 ·
I cannot believe that after multiple threats of armed gunmen entering your building and shooting everyone that security has not tightened up. Or policy change or something. I would continue to carry, but keep it hidden. If you have to use it, then face those consequences, at least your alive.

#13 ·
If your Uncle Mikes holster is a #2 pocket it will be to deep for an effective draw.

I put a 1/2 inch filler in the bottom of mine and it works much better.

I ware dress clothes most all the time, and have now tried 6 different holsters for my P3AT.

The best of the lot has been the UM #2 pocket holster and Bull Dogs copy of the Tartus TCP holster (basically a little over size phone case that the P3AT fits in upside down. To draw you unsnap it and push up on slide of gun using the hole in bottom of case. This pushes the grip up for a very fast, easy and effect draw.)

Found the Bull Dog holster works fairly well for drawing while driving.

#28 ·
For most of the country the answer to your question is yes. If the store opens at 8 am, and I had the cash, I could likely walk out with one by 8:20. My CCP is my purchase permit and background check basically. Come to America, it's a great place! :gah:

#23 ·
Its sad that you have to break the law to protect youreslf and feel safe in your workplace. To bad no one at Fort Hood broke the law...maybe more would still be alive......

#25 ·
Our campus head of security is former swat. He carries and so do other staff people on campus. students are not allowed to have firearms in there rooms or on campus unless you are a grad school or seminary student. I carry there and people know that I do. It is kinda of a Joke some of the guys come up to me and ask are you caring today? I say wouldn't you like to know. I am glad that you have an equalizer now but I suggest you keep it on the DL so that some wacko doesn't find out and have your head. We all know how places of higher education are breeding grounds for liberal wackos.

#26 ·
I'm in a similar situation as well. I'm a (returning) college student at a school with a no-weapons policy. However, my state does NOT prohibit concealed carry on college campus. It's against school policy but not against the law. I could be expelled but not arrested if caught.

There have been several incidents on campus, and no armed security.

I carry. If caught and expelled, I will be alive to find another school to finish my degree at.

If caught and fired, you will be alive to find a new place of employment.

Having said that, as 9MMare said, "Run silent, run deep." Tell no one you carry at work.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

#27 ·
The Irony for me is they blow off threats like that and let it go on the basis that "well, PROBABLY nothing will happen"

But two boys in Elementary school get in a play ground scuffle they get sent home as a threat to security.

I don't get it. The times it really is no big deal everyones freaking out and when it really DOES have the potential (and the history to back it up) everyone lets it go.

I think I probably would do that same. Just wish they made the LCP in a 9 mil!

Alex!

#31 ·
Anytime somebody threatens you with bodily harm and you believe they are capable of carryingt it out and in fear,that is called a terroristic threat and is a felony you need to file a report with the police and press charges

#39 ·
+1

a call to law enforcement should be mandatory in a case like this...in the event an act of violence does take place and information regarding ignoring a previous threat is released there will be legal repercussions...you have an obligation to take threats seriously...

there have been enough real tragedies to support a call to law enforcement...take it seriously...a statement like that is no different than saying you have a bomb on an airplane...if someone makes a threat like that they should be prepared to spend some time answering questions from law enforcement...

#35 ·
IMHO, not a wise thing to post. What you are doing is against company policy, and if you were called upon to use your weapon, posts like this might have a negative affect on any litigation. Perhaps the "Clinton Policy" might be wiser - don't ask, don't tell.

#38 ·
IMHO, not a wise thing to post. What you are doing is against company policy, and if you were called upon to use your weapon, posts like this might have a negative affect on any litigation. Perhaps the "Clinton Policy" might be wiser - don't ask, don't tell.
+1
Were the threats heard by other people? If there were
other witnesses, why not just pick up the phone and dial 911?

#36 ·

I am really starting to get fed up with this. It is going to take someone getting KILLED before people start to open there eyes.

A few months ago I posted a thread about a threat of racially motivated violence at my place of employment. I work for a community college in a pretty rough neighbor hood. If you don’t remember the thread the general gist of it was a hostile student stormed out of our main building yelling “I’m going to get my gun and kill every **** in this building’.

I was upset for several reason. I could care less about the racial slur. I was upset because our campus is a no weapons zone and we have no armed security. The way I look at that is that my employer is not willing to protect me while at the same time they are telling me I am not able to protect myself. I was also upset at the overall lack of a response. It seemed to me that the administration more or less said “Ehhh, it was just a angry threat, nothing is going to happen” .

So yesterday we had yet another one. “I’m going to get my **** gun!!” as she storms out. Yet again I am unarmed. This time I was MAD. The head of security was in meetings all day yesterday discussing the incident but he was in his office today so I got a chance to talk to him. I said “Look, it’s high time someone take’s a look at our on campus weapons policy, this is stupid. None of the good guys around here are armed and we are at the mercy of a bad guy if anything were ever to happen”. He replied “Look, this isn’t a battle either one of us wants to fight if we value our jobs. That being said I have heard a rumor that some of the good guys are armed but since it’s just a rumor I don’t know who they are and if I can’t see it what can I do about it? Wink wink”

If there is one thing I have learned in higher education it’s how to speak without saying anything and that when someone disagrees with a policy they ignore it without leaving a paper trail. Basically, I got his drift. I took my lunch break to go to my local gun store and pick up a ruger LCP (I had been wanting one for awhile anyway) and a uncle mikes pocket holster. It spent the rest of the day (And every day from here on) riding in my strong side pocket and I felt a heck of a lot better for it! I also feel better knowing there are at least a couple other armed good guys on campus as well.

That being said the weapons policy NEEDS TO CHANGE.
i was actually going to suggest this and then read you had already did it.:hand10:

this is basically my set up with a couple differences.

i use a p3at in an uncle mikes p/h in my back right pocket. use to be my wallet pocket. wallet got moved to the left back pocket...

Kel-Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP "the go anywhere guns"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.