Virginia Non-Resident Permit

This is a discussion on Virginia Non-Resident Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rstickle I've seen a couple mentions of it being turned down over at the MD Shooters site. Might currently depend on who ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virginia Non-Resident Permit

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I've seen a couple mentions of it being turned down over at the MD Shooters site. Might currently depend on who opens your application. I can't remember whether the message said Florida or Virginia, I think it was one of those.
    I have both FL and VA non resident permits. FL stopped accepting the MSP card that you receive in a gun store after watching the video. The reason given by someone on MD Shooters is because it isn't an NRA approved instructor signing the card. The store employee does. I know a DD214 still works.

The card is still accepted by VA. As a side note however, MSP has decided not to offer the video in gun stores any longer. I don't know the exact cut off date. You have to watch the video on line. I think it's somewhat discriminatory since some poeple don't own or cannot afford a computer. You then have to go to a public library or other location to watch the video.

Bottom line, for as long as you have the course completion card from MSP, VA will accept it.

2. Remove Ads

Finally got it!

I got my permit in the mail this weekend. So lessons learned here: it takes about a month to get a nonresident permit, and the MD gun safety class counts.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Congrats! Virginia just got a little safer for the good guys.

Glad you got it mef0006. Patience is indeed a virtue. After you apply, days seem like months, don't they?

...been there, done that. LOL

FYI:
    Before I bailed from the NY Gulag last year, I picked up the FL Non-res CCW (about 120 days elapsed from sending the packet). Next applied for VA non-res CCW (less than a month...2 weeks from the date they received it). Before applying for them, I had my papers in for the NY permit too (I should have got it 30 years ago when things were a lot easier)...supposed to be 5 -6 month, the most, by statute...the NY SOB's were still dicking around after 10 months. So I bailed for the free state of NM where both the FL & VA non-res CCW's are good, even as a NM resident now. I'm do to get my NM resident one in a couple weeks, so I will jump from being legal in 28 states to 34 by having all 3...NM, FL & VA...worth the $$$ for me, I travel the country a lot.

BTW: after over 11 mos. NY denied me, with the issuing Judge (sic) saying I was "morally unfit"...that is really a good one, since I am, and have been for 35 years, a licensed MH professional in 3 states in 3 different distinct MH professions...one of the states being NY, where I retired as a Forensic Psychologist and Certified Trainer for the NYS Commission of Corrections after 23.5 years. Friggin' Politics!

I am still out on whether to even bother sending in a appeal, cause it really doesn't mean a damn thing now, except satisfaction to tell them what kind of political hacks and M&$#@*%'s they are!

Also, do yourself a big favor and DON'T go back to Maryland or any state that is anti-handgun/2nd amendment...head west of the Mississippi where people are still half-way free and job opportunities are better...just my 2 cents worth. the NY Gulag can kiss my pearly white...nevermind. ; )

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkuisi8mo View Post
    ...the NY Gulag can kiss my pearly white...nevermind. ; )
    So, how do you really feel about NY?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links