Virginia Non-Resident Permit

This is a discussion on Virginia Non-Resident Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I applied for my Non-Resident permit at the beginning of February, and still havent gotten it yet. Does anyone know how long it usually takes? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia Non-Resident Permit

Virginia Non-Resident Permit

I applied for my Non-Resident permit at the beginning of February, and still havent gotten it yet. Does anyone know how long it usually takes? I know they have to issue it within 45 days, but I figured it may be sooner.

2. Remove Ads

LLT
    I can't even imagine bothering with a VA non-resident permit, to be honest... a resident permit is terrible (for me) with as much traveling as I do. The FL permit is much more flexible.

That said, it depends what county you're in. I had mine in 8 days.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I can't even imagine bothering with a VA non-resident permit, to be honest... a resident permit is terrible (for me) with as much traveling as I do. The FL permit is much more flexible.

That said, it depends what county you're in. I had mine in 8 days.
    If he applied for a non-resident permit, it doesn't go through the county, it goes through the state police. Not sure how long it takes them to process.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Welcome from the Richmond area.

Your profile shows you are in Charlottesville. Why are you applying for a non-resident permit? It's possible that is what is slowing things down.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. Do you live in the City of Charlottesville or Albemarle County? I believe you have to apply for a resident permit. You must apply for it in the city or county of your residence. If you live in the county the application needs to go to the Albemarle County Circuit Court at Court Square. If you are in the city it should be done at the Charlottesville Circuit Court just down the street on High St.. Are you a student at UVA? If you are you may be able to get a non-resident permit if you have not changed your legal residence from out of state. Also have you had training that is accepted by Virginia law? Good luck with it and again welcome.

LLT
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If he applied for a non-resident permit, it doesn't go through the county, it goes through the state police. Not sure how long it takes them to process.
    Ah yes, I forgot non-residents go through the state police.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Welcome from the Richmond area.

Your profile shows you are in Charlottesville. Why are you applying for a non-resident permit? It's possible that is what is slowing things down.
    I can only assume he's a UVA student and probably isn't a VA resident?

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am a UVA student, and legally a resident of Maryland. I couldnt apply for a resident permit without getting a VA drivers license. As far as training goes, I took a firearm safety course from the Maryland State Police. This is the same course that is required to purchase a handgun in Maryland.

I might just get a FL when the time comes. unless i get a VA drivers license but i don't see that happening too soon.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    PM sent.

My business partner's non resident took 2 months.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mef0006 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am a UVA student, and legally a resident of Maryland. I couldnt apply for a resident permit without getting a VA drivers license. As far as training goes, I took a firearm safety course from the Maryland State Police. This is the same course that is required to purchase a handgun in Maryland.
    Did you apply through the City/County or did you apply through the State Police? Non-resident permits are handled by the State Police.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mef0006 View Post
    As far as training goes, I took a firearm safety course from the Maryland State Police. This is the same course that is required to purchase a handgun in Maryland.
    Be careful using this course. Some other States that have seen how this "course" is run will not accept it. When I took it (to buy firearms) the first thing the "instructor" said is he couldn't answer any questions, just watch the tape and fill out the form!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Be careful using this course. Some other States that have seen how this "course" is run will not accept it. When I took it (to buy firearms) the first thing the "instructor" said is he couldn't answer any questions, just watch the tape and fill out the form!
    worked fine for mine.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    worked fine for mine.
    I've seen a couple mentions of it being turned down over at the MD Shooters site. Might currently depend on who opens your application. I can't remember whether the message said Florida or Virginia, I think it was one of those.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

If you go to school in VA...but live in MD....what is the advantage of having a MD DL? You're paying out of state tuition..right? Why not get a VA DL, register to vote in VA and pay the in-state tuition? Not to mention, get a VA resident permit...there are some states (like FL) that do not accept non-resident permits.

Just something to ponder
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links