Limited CCW In Illinois??

This is a discussion on Limited CCW In Illinois?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I found this link and wanted to share. I am wondering if this is real and a possible loop hole found in the IL ...

Thread: Limited CCW In Illinois??

Today I found this link and wanted to share. I am wondering if this is real and a possible loop hole found in the IL laws. I dont claim it is right, but though I would share and see what everyones opinion on this is. Here is the link, enjoy!

Illinois Carry | Concealed Carry
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

That is what the law has been in IL for some time now. It seems like a PITA to do but it would be legal.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Just because you follow the law to the letter, doesn't mean that cops will if you get stopped. I'd have to think hard about this before I did it.

Good luck getting the pistol loaded when it hits the fan.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Don't think I would test it myself
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

GM
    “Purchase a concealed carry fanny pack and carry an unloaded gun with magazines at the ready in the compartment. You will be just Six Seconds From Safety as you can open the case and quickly lock and load your handgun …” Wait a little mister BG, it will take me just six seconds to quickly load my gun … RIP . I should say six seconds from being dead
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

First of all, there is nothing in IL statutes nor anything in case law referencing "6 seconds to safety" or anything similar. It's a phrase generated by a certain organization to perpetuate their agenda. It's not a legally recognized term nor practice and is nothing recognized by the courts.
    Now to address the fanny pack carry issue.
    In 2001/2002 the fanny pack carry gained a lot of publicity by some groups proclaiming it was a legal method of carry in IL. These groups had not contacted the IL AG or any state's attorneys before they started their campaigns but relied on some of their member's own interpretation of the statutes. Not a very reliable method of recommending how another may act and risk arrest.
    My agency was swamped with phone calls from the public and other LE agencies inquiring if a legal ruling/opinion had been made at the state level and what action should be taken. We contacted the IL Attorney General for a solid legal opinion. The IL AG at the time was Jim Ryan who was running for governor. Ryan's office refused to render an opinion and instead deferred interpretation to each of the 102 state's attorneys in IL. We then contacted every state's attorney in IL. We didn't get 102 different answers but close. The answers we got ranged from "fanny pack carry is not legal and we will prosecute" to "fanny pack carry is legal and therefore nothing to prosecute." However, the most common answer we got from state's attorneys was "seize the gun, write the report, and we will decide whether to prosecute on a case by case basis." Not much of a definitive answer. No one knew what to do, neither LEO and public alike.
    What those responses meant was a person could fanny pack carry in one county and would not be prosecuted but cross the road into another county and the state's attorney wanted an immediate arrest and he would prosecute. But the person could cross another road into another county and find themselves with their firearm seized as evidence and having to wait the unknown for up to 3 years not knowing if the state's attorney was going to file charges against them.
    That survey was conducted about 8 yrs ago. Since that time the AG has changed as have a lot of the state's attorneys. The survey has not been repeated since then but I venture a guess that even with the change in AG and the change in several SAs that if the survey was conducted today that the results would be pretty much the same. Some counties might change from one column to another but overall I don't see a radical shift one way or the other.
    So bottom line is if a person believes they want to fanny pack carry in IL then it is highly recommended they contact the state's attorney in the specific county they intend to carry and get that SA's opinion. Just remember tho that even if one SA says they won't prosecute that when going into another county it's an entirely new ballgame and the decision whether to prosecute resides with the SA in each county. Just because one state's attorney won't prosecute has no bearing whatsoever on any other state's attorney's action. Just be very careful about it. The wrong decision without doing your homework could easily result in a lot of aggravation and a loss of a whole lot of money even if ultimately charges were never filed.
    183 FBINA

ispcapt, thanks for the info!
    I lived in IL for 2 years and really didn't like the strict gun laws and had the chance to move. No offense intended! Growing up a country boy in ND then having to live in the Chicago area was quite the shock! To find this link I thought for sure it was a joke, or some attorneys attempt to trump up business. In the end, when living in IL, I would never try a stunt like this! The FOID card clearly states that it does not entitle the holder to carry! My thoughts are if you don't have a permit that specifically allows and says that it is a conceal permit, I wouldn't use it! Thought it was interesting to share! Hopefully IL, and WI will join the rest of the states soon with a permit!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I spent most of my life in IL, You will be in a heap of legal trouble if caught with a weapon on your person, no matter what. I know a lot of people who carry concealed, but they understand the risk an make the tradeoff decision. Even if the Supremes rule in favor of the plaintiffs in MacDonald, politically CC will never pass the legislature-Chicago carries all the weight politically and King Daley will not allow it.

My wife is originally from Springfield, IL the REAL state capital!

Illinois gun laws are crappy to say the least. I wouldn't recommend any type of carry other than what the real law permits which isn't much. The law essentially renders you unarmed, unprotected and at the mercy of both criminals and Law Enforcement if the latter believes you are violating them.

I think if you even have the odor of Hoopes #9, or Rem Oil on you, the cops might just bust you for kicks.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Don't even THINK about handguns when in Illinois............

If Chicago would sink into Lake Michigan, downstate would be a lot better off (my dad is from Peoria, where there may be a trial run for CCW permits if the county and state don't try and kill it.)

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatCWP View Post
    If Chicago would sink into Lake Michigan, downstate would be a lot better off (my dad is from Peoria, where there may be a trial run for CCW permits if the county and state don't try and kill it.)
    The Peoria bill was killed in committee last week.
    183 FBINA

Illinois is one screwed up state, and not just becuase of there lousy gun laws. Corruption run rampant, and not just the Cook county area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotech View Post
    Illinois is one screwed up state, and not just becuase of there lousy gun laws. Corruption run rampant, and not just the Cook county area.
    The same could be said about any state. Politics brings corruption with it.

Sponsored Links