1st brief LEO encounter

This is a discussion on 1st brief LEO encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great interaction on both parts. The way it should be....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st brief LEO encounter

VIP Member
    Great interaction on both parts. The way it should be.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

When they ask if you have any weapons, drugs, hand granades ect. , It's to see your respons. If you snicker or smile & say no they are Drilling you, I ussually say I have nothing Illeagel officer, If asked to steo out of truck I'll notify right away ; ) PS OP sounded like a good LEO
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    A simple "Do have any weapons in your vehicle tonight sir?" is how I've been asked and I generally hand over my permit W/out saying a word.

When I hear this type of question asked it's usually on COPS ( Yes, I know COPS is 99% BS but I still hear what I hear) and it's usually phrased :

"Do you have any weapons, guns, knives, bazookas, drugs , samuri swords or anything else I need to know about in the vehicle tonight?"

The proper response to such a question is always (IMO) "Officer , I do not consent to any searches. Am I free to go?"
    To the OP, sounds like it went well.

Treo, such a response isn't a good idea IMO. You could simply say, "no". Your response is sure to get you a summons.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Treo, such a response isn't a good idea IMO. You could simply say, "no". Your response is sure to get you a summons.
    Can't say "no" I am armed everytime I walk out my door.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Can't say "no" I am armed everytime I walk out my door.
    OK. So, how about, "Yes, I am legally armed." The police ask if their are any weapons in a your vehicle for their safety, not a fishing expedition.

I am a police officer and I have no problem with people being legally armed. I am pro 2A. Your attitude towards the police doing their job is going to cause you to spend some time in traffic court. Why not be nice and just be on your way. Police Officers are human beings too. When I stop someone who is nice, they have a very good chance of getting off with a warning. When I stop someone who thinks that I am looking to violate their 4th ammendment rights, they are sure to get a summons.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    OK. So, how about, "Yes, I am legally armed.
    Nah..wont work against those that know the Cops are "out to get them".

That makes too much sense.

Fact of the matter is, when I stop someone, more than likely its just for a warning, unless it is something that is blatant. If a guy shows me some attitude that shows "the cops are out to get me,"or has a case of potty mouth, I will let them talk me into writing them a ticket.

We know that life is tough, and its tougher if you are stupid. People that go around wearing their feelings on their sleeves and acting the fool generally get lots more tickets than the guy just driving home from work that is going a bit over the limit.

We have discussed this very thing on the forums for years, yet some posters still aren't smart enough to grasp the simple concept that not all cops are "out to get them" so they continue to act in ways the pretty much guarantee that they will "be got".

And when they are "got" they post how terrible their experience was all over the internet and how they were the perfect model citizen that was doing nothing wrong while they got their rights trampled all over by some mean ole nasty cop that is just out to get them.

It never changes does it?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No ticket, and he didn't empty your gun, disassemble it, and put it in your trunk (for your safety and his)...a fair stop.IMHO
    ^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

Good deal!!

I Donít Suffer From Insanity, I Enjoy Every Minute Of It
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Fact of the matter is, when I stop someone, more than likely its just for a warning, unless it is something that is blatant. If a guy shows me some attitude that shows "the cops are out to get me,"or has a case of potty mouth, I will let them talk me into writing them a ticket.

We know that life is tough, and its tougher if you are stupid. People that go around weaing their feelings on their sleeves and acting the fool generally get lots more tickets than the guy just driving home from work that is going a bit over the limit.

We have discussed this very thing on the forums for years, yet some posters still aren't smart enough to grasp the simple concept that not all cops are "out to get them" so they continue to act in ways the pretty much guarantee that they will "be got".

And when they are "got" they post how terrible their experience was all over the internet and how they were the perfect model citizen that was doing nothing wrong while they got their rights trampled all over by some mean ole nasty cop that is just out to get them.

Excellent post! Nice to see this kind of common sense is alive and well!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

................ I will let them talk me into writing them a ticket.............
    I dont know why but that is funny to me.

My personal practice has always been mutual respect. When that doesnt work a phone call to a shift commander usually does the trick (only done that once, and was told by FHP her boss "we have been having problems with her, thanks for calling us and letting us know"
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Originally posted by NY27 OK. So, how about, "Yes, I am legally armed." .
    I usually never say a word when asked that question I simply hand over my permit. that way the that way the cop is forced to use his logical mind to read the permit W/out hearing anything that remotely sounds like "I have a gun".

Originally posted by HotGuns We have discussed this very thing on the forums for years, yet some posters still aren't smart enough to grasp the simple concept that not all cops are "out to get them"
    Can you tell at a glance which is which?

DavidW, it's good to hear you weren't "TREO-ized" by that officer when you told him you were armed.

-Bill

Senior Moderator
    "TREOIZED"
    A new word that should be submitted to Wikipedia.

I usually never say a word when asked that question I simply hand over my permit. that way the that way the cop is forced to use his logical mind to read the permit W/out hearing anything that remotely sounds like "I have a gun
    If your logical mind is unable to articulate that you are carrying a concealed weapon without the cop hearing that I HAVE A GUN, then it's probably a good thing that you remain silent and simply hand over the permit.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Went well IMO

Aside from not being stopped in the first place, it doesn't sound like it could have gone any better. You were polite and respectful, the officer was polite and respectful, and everyone got to drive away in a few minutes. You did well as far as I'm concerned.

We know that life is tough, and its tougher if you are stupid. People that go around wearing their feelings on their sleeves and acting the fool generally get lots more tickets than the guy just driving home from work that is going a bit over the limit.

Very well said.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Originally posted by Hot Guns If your logical mind is unable to articulate that you are carrying a concealed weapon without the cop hearing that I HAVE A GUN,
    I actually have some crisis managment as well as theraputic crisis communications training and one of the things I was taught is that during a crisis/stressful situation people stop communicating and start filtering what you say for threat words IE "I have a gun". By simply handing the Officer my permit I force his mind to change gears from reactive mind to logical mind. By reading the permit the Off has to actually process the information and think about what it means. Cuts the chance of a mis-communication to almost nil.

I know you want me to be cop hater Hot Guns but I actually work around cops frequently and most of them are decent people.

That just doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't consent to a search even if my old girlfriend (Pasco County Fla SD) asked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links