1st brief LEO encounter

This is a discussion on 1st brief LEO encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That sounds great Treo, I'm proud of you for taking such classes. You are assuming that just because you happen to have a gun, that ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1st brief LEO encounter

Senior Moderator
    That sounds great Treo, I'm proud of you for taking such classes.

You are assuming that just because you happen to have a gun, that the cop is going to be stressed out and that you must use your theraputic crisis management and communication skills.

Its not that simple though is it? Here's a news flash for you...if I walk up to your window because of a traffic stop, I already assume that you have a gun and you want to kill me just because I stopped you. Althoug it sounds pretty far fetched, it happens on a fairly rountine basis somewhere in this country.

As far as "forcing" one to change from reactive to logical mode, I doubt it. I dont read anything on the side of the road, it isnt until I am in the car on the radio before I allow what I have in my hand to distract me. I've seen enough Handgun Permits that it really dosent alarm me in any way and I dont know of any local cops that get alarmed.

I dont want you to be a cop hater Treo, but it seems that you always speak of dealing with them in a negative manner and its just not me that sees it. You can sugar coat and jive all you want to, but your distrust is pretty obvious to anyone with a clue.

As far as consenting to a search, I concur.

I dont ask to search anyone. I could care less what you are trying to hide and if arrest you for something I dont need your permission to search, I'll do it anyway. Its funny how much stuff turns up after an arrest. Its also funny how many people that get arrested have never seen some of the stuff in their car before.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

I really don't think you are reading what I wrote Hotguns. I never said anything about my permit "alarming" anyone I said I do it that way to avoid alarming anyone.

One of the most respected Jurists of the 20th Century (Robert H. Jackson) Stated "Any lawyer worth his salt will the the suspect in no uncertain terms to make no statement to the police under any circumstance" He also said "The Fifth Amendment exists primarily to protect the innocent from unwarranted prosecution.

Since we know that no cop ever put an innocent person in jail I guess Justice Jackson was just being negative.

And as for my "one bad experience" do you not get that even though all charges were dropped my life is still affected today?

When I was 12 I had an ND it changed the way I looked at the four rules forever. Suppose I just wrote it off as "one bad experience" and continued to ignore the rules?

BTW you never answered my question "How can I tell a cop who's not "out to get me" from one who is at a glance? Wouldn't I be safer to follow the 4 rules every time?

Senior Moderator
    BTW you never answered my question "How can I tell a cop who's not "out to get me" from one who is at a glance? Wouldn't I be safer to follow the 4 rules every time?
    I guess you cant really, so just treat them all like they want to mess up your life and eventually you'll get lucky enough that one of them will do it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    OK. So, how about, "Yes, I am legally armed." The police ask if their are any weapons in a your vehicle for their safety, not a fishing expedition.

I am a police officer and I have no problem with people being legally armed. I am pro 2A. Your attitude towards the police doing their job is going to cause you to spend some time in traffic court. Why not be nice and just be on your way. Police Officers are human beings too. When I stop someone who is nice, they have a very good chance of getting off with a warning. When I stop someone who thinks that I am looking to violate their 4Th amendment rights, they are sure to get a summons.

Agreed that being nice work's a lot better than having a chip on your shoulder.. As you are a LEO you have to say some of your fellow Leo's are well over zealous?? IE rookie who well doesn't know how to handle a CCW holder? I fully know that LEO's are under a lot of BS , but in all IF and when i have to show my CPL/CCW i hope it go's as well as this one did...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Originally posted by HotGuns eventually you'll get lucky enough that one of them will do it.
    I already found him remember? Luckily I decided to shut up & ask for a Lawyer before I "coopperated" myself into the brig.

I do treat every police officer I officially interact W/ the same . I'm polite but I refuse to waive my rights. Are you suggesting that I should waive my rights anytime I interact W/ the police? ( Why not simply repeal amendments 4-6?)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links