1st brief LEO encounter

1st brief LEO encounter

This is a discussion on 1st brief LEO encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had to pull into a parking lot right off the road. Cars were stopped waiting for the light to change to cross an intersection which ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st brief LEO encounter

1st brief LEO encounter

Had to pull into a parking lot right off the road. Cars were stopped waiting for the light to change to cross an intersection which I did not have to cross. I did however have to kind of turn a corner. So I pulled into this very short parking lot and road it around about 50 feet to where I wanted to park. The LEO pulls in behind me and asks me what I was doing. Said I should have waited for the light like everyone else. I explained that I wasn't crossing the light or intersection so I thought it would be ok to pull in and ride the lot around to where I want to be.

He asked if I had any weapons on me (never in 30 years has an LEO ever asked me that) and I said yes. He asked what kind and I told him a M&P 40 Compact. He asked if I had a license, I replied yes. He asked to see it. Looked at it with one hand while his other rested on his holster, not the handle of his gun. He told me next time to wait for the light and be careful backing up since the road was right there.

Sounds like it when pretty smoothly...

My brother who is LEO asks about weapons a lot, but he throws a joke in the like "and weapons in your car? like guns, knifes, WMD's?"
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Good cop, I think it is good you posted about a good LEO encounter we often only hear about the bad ones.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Seems to have went smooth
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

VIP Member
    Good one.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    My Mom recently passed away. Our lawyer moved into new digs. I took a shortcut and as I got closer to the office I lost focus as I thought about my Mom and failed to monitor my speed. The local constabulary introduced themselves to remind me. In Ohio, if you have a Concealed Carry Weapon permit, you are required to immediately announce to the officer that you have a permit and whether you are currently armed. It turned out that he is a CCW instructor as well. After checking that I have had no moving violations within the last six months, he returned my license and suggest I watch my speed more carefully. As I was returning my license to my wallet I told him why I had lost focus on my speed and we talked a little bit about losing parents. I'm glad I did not tell him any of this before he returned my license and told me I would not be cited.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

No ticket, and he didn't empty your gun, disassemble it, and put it in your trunk (for your safety and his)...a fair stop.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

yep turned out fine.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Seems everything went good
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Originally posted by Kenny256 he throws a joke in the like "and weapons in your car? like guns, knifes, WMD's?"
    That's not a joke it's a fishing expediton. when you say "Yes" what did you just say yes to?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No ticket, and he didn't empty your gun, disassemble it, and put it in your trunk (for your safety and his)...a fair stop.IMHO
    Didn't even ask me where it was, I thought that was strange.

Thumbs up

It don't get no better than that(well I guess it could have been better if you hadn't got stopped in the first place), but that was a perfect encounter with LEO. I haven't been stopped yet, but when/if I ever do, I hope it goes as smooth as yours did.
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

Treo,

What you consider a 'fishing expedition' (your term) is also a way I use to break a little bit of the tension that goes along with that question when I have someone stopped. Alot of people (even some here probably) get butthurt and offended when asked by an officer if they have a weapon.

We are apparently supposed to automatically know that every Joe blow that we stop is a great guy, who would only legally carry a weapon. When I ask "Sir do you have any guns, knives, or grenade launchers in the vehicle?" it usually gets a smile, even though I just asked a serious question, because obviously, I don't think that granny has a grenade launcher in her car. (Although, you are right, some people do admit to some stupid stuff from time to time)

-Tim S.

A simple "Do have any weapons in your vehicle tonight sir?" is how I've been asked and I generally hand over my permit W/out saying a word.

When I hear this type of question asked it's usually on COPS ( Yes, I know COPS is 99% BS but I still hear what I hear) and it's usually phrased :

"Do you have any weapons, guns, knives, bazookas, drugs , samuri swords or anything else I need to know about in the vehicle tonight?"

The proper response to such a question is always (IMO) "Officer , I do not consent to any searches. Am I free to go?"

Davidw - sounds like a "good" LEO experience all around, almost. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but it seems weird that (completely separate from anything gun related) he stopped you for moving around in a parking lot (a) and (b) told you that next time you need to do something other than what you were doing, aka moving around in a parking lot?

Color me a little confused. Perhaps, without the diagram of the corner, traffic, lot, location of cop at time he noticed you and location of you and cop at time he stopped you, etc . etc. etc. If it made sense to you, then I have no qualms.

But, it is nice to know that you can be a permit carrying gun owner in your car, get stopped, and not have that held against you.

Now, my question to the group is: I drove to the range today to practice shooting with some friends. I had a gun, unloaded, 3 magazines, unloaded, and two boxes of ammo all in the same bag. It is legal to have a gun with you in your car in Florida.

I have not yet applied for my CCW permit in Florida. If I'd have been stopped by the police for any reason, would I have been in jeopardy for answering the "do you have a weapon" question with a "yes" that was not qualified with the presence of a permit?
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links