Need advice,don't know if I want to carry any more

This is a discussion on Need advice,don't know if I want to carry any more within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may have missed it but why can't your attorney get your gun back from the police? The other suggestion I have is to stay ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Need advice,don't know if I want to carry any more

I may have missed it but why can't your attorney get your gun back from the police?

The other suggestion I have is to stay at your brothers. Your stepson or his father will end up hurting your wife, maybe killing her. If you were at home there would be all kinds of additional legal entanglements. Yeah, sometimes life sucks.
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I've decided that in fact many here are right in the fact that my gun or license to carry were not the cause of my problems that night. I've owned guns since I was 18,have had an LTC and a pistol since I was 21 never had the issues with either or the law and I'm 31 now.

So upon deep soul searching I've realized the one element that's changed in all this is my marriage and my stepson's drug problems. I've decided to take my permit back and look for a good deal on a good used gun. Thanks again guys for all the help you've all been great.
    Whether or not yoou own and/or carry a pistol is a complete non-issue at this point. I know this DC, but buying a used hog leg is about the last thing you should be doing. IMNSHO.

Madmac it was a figure of speech at this point. I'll play it by ear at this point I'm still waiting for my license to carry to be reinstated. Plus the more and more I think about this I don't like being unarmed.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Madmac it was a figure of speech at this point. I'll play it by ear at this point I'm still waiting for my license to carry to be reinstated. Plus the more and more I think about this I don't like being unarmed.
    It was only my opinion, my friend. I wish you the best of luck and hope the situation is resolved soon.

Sadly, you seem like a man adrift: living on the charity and good will of others. A man is complete when he earns his own way, has his own place to live, and can establish and enforce the rules under his own roof.

Firearms, for me, come well after those established requirements for a peaceful and profitable life.

Best wishes to you.

MM.

Yep, it sucks. The bottom line is do we want to risk spending our life in jail to defend our family from some dirt bag that shouldn't be roaming the streets.

They (we) can't stop dirtbags from killing someone. They (we) don't want to keep dirtbags locked up.

The only answer is to let you (us) die at the hands of dirtbags.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 98LSWON View Post
    Can someone enlighten me as to how the police have the authority to keep his gun?
    Possession is 9/10's of law.

Your decision

This is my very first post but I've been reading this thread. So much of it sounds familiar due to my past years working in Juvenile Court. Some families can never separate themselves from the drama - I applaud your decision and hope you will follow through to keep your life safe and drama-free.

Wishing you the very best.
    Buckeye Gumby

An armed woman is a citizen. An unarmed woman is a subject.

Wow. I can't even begin to imagine what you're dealing with, much less how to deal with it. In the end, it's your decision. You're the one that has to live with it. Good luck.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm not sure I want to resume carrying.

I state this because after spending a night in county lock up it got me thinking about something,and that is what if I'm ever forced to use my gun in SD? What if I get railroaded like the night I was arrested having done nothing wrong in the first place?
    The real world's a bugger, isn't it?

In reality, it is a cauldron boiling with lies, deceit, false claims, illegal crimes against others, and attempts on the lives of innocents. What a world. Those who escape the worst of it can count themselves lucky.

Perfectly understandable, that you would question the viability of "the system" to see the truth, when it comes to defending against the whole array of threats that exist. A firearm can only defend against a small portion of threats that might arise. It can't help you against the rest of the attacks that might come. False claims and false reports to police, not least on the list.

In your other thread, you described a situation in which ex in-laws came back into your wife's life and made your lives a living hell, falsely claiming that you illegally attacked them without provocation. In spades, this shows a fundamental truth that seems to hold sway in our current legal system: guilty if charged, guilty unless proven innocent. Sure, you get to have your say. But, surprise!, so does the claimant.

It might not matter who calls first. In your case, the claim was made, corroborated by the other liar in the mix, and you were thus apparently justly branded the BG.

All of that is possible, and more.

You'll need to think through that whole chain of related thoughts. You might want to have a discussion with your attorney (assuming he/she is competent in the area of legal self-defense and defending against the whole array of charges this might subject you to). It ain't pretty.

But in the end, it comes to this: if faced with being murdered, are you willing to be without a firearm and instead rely on some other means to survive the situation? Given what you've just learned, the answer might well be "yes." Up to you.

One thing I think is very important for upstanding folks to understand is this: how critical it can be to be seen to be the good guy, in situations where you're otherwise threatening (or, actually taking) the lives of others. Without that, then all the police and investigators have are the claims made against you. Without some ready ability to thwart those claims, you'll have a difficult, time-consuming and possibly very expensive path to walk in order to get exonerated of the charges.

Ironic, isn't it, that it was your own life that you were protecting when faced with a violent ex-hubby who was directing his attentions on you?

To carry or not. In a situation that comes to defending life, you'll need to decide whether you'll be able to survive via some other means. You might well end up accused, jailed and even financially penalized, but you'll very likely be alive, which is why some folks say "it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6." Tough (or simple) questions. Only you can tell whether that exchange is worth it for you and your family.

Good luck, as you run down the answers to them all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My two cents. I don't carry "to stop a crime". I am not a cop and I don't want to be one! I carry to protect my family and myself from a direct threat to our lives.

It is unfortunate, but encountering the legal system is full of risk, and in your case, a nightmare that was traumatic.

Ask yourself this - would you be able to live with yourself, if God forbid - a loved one was killed while you were unarmed?

I would much prefer to go through the trauma of arrest, a court trial and judgement versus losing a loved one while I did nothing to prevent it.

Stay strong, stay vigilant!
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Sounds like you've made some good decisions, honestly I wouldn't do anything different, A.) move out until said druggie is gone, B.) reinstate permit and carry, C.) trust God that He'll work it all out.

Prayin' for ya brother!
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c
    Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III

The problem is that if there is ever a SD situation, this record can be dug up, even if expunged. It just doesnt go away. So if you ever have to go before a grand jury, the prosecuter will try to use this against you. This will make your defense more expensive. It may not even be admisable in the actual case, but grand jury may find it enough totake it to trial. I an not a lawyer, and all I said may be crap. I still think all that being said, I would still carry and protect my family and my self! In the end, if you do everything right, you will be ok. Just broke!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

I'm not sure I want to resume carrying.

I state this because after spending a night in county lock up it got me thinking about something,and that is what if I'm ever forced to use my gun in SD? What if I get railroaded like the night I was arrested having done nothing wrong in the first place?
    This thread might help with some of the questions: To Carry or Not to Carry -- What Thinking Did You Go Through?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's going to sound cliche, but I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

I've decided that in fact many here are right in the fact that my gun or license to carry were not the cause of my problems that night. I've owned guns since I was 18,have had an LTC and a pistol since I was 21 never had the issues with either or the law and I'm 31 now.

So upon deep soul searching I've realized the one element that's changed in all this is my marriage and my stepson's drug problems. I've decided to take my permit back and look for a good deal on a good used gun. Thanks again guys for all the help you've all been great.
    I'm glad to hear this. Good luck my friend, I hope everything works out.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links