Need advice,don't know if I want to carry any more

This is a discussion on Need advice,don't know if I want to carry any more within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well as some of you here know from my recent thread about my recent arrest and subsequent out come of the state not filing charges ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice,don't know if I want to carry any more

Well as some of you here know from my recent thread about my recent arrest and subsequent out come of the state not filing charges against me. Long story short I'll have my carry permit reinstated this week or next week,however I'm not sure I want to resume carrying. I state this because after spending a night in county lock up it got me thinking about something,and that is what if I'm ever forced to use my gun in SD? What if I get railroaded like the night I was arrested having done nothing wrong in the first place?

I still feel a bit jaded about the whole thing because let me tell you we are not innocent until proven guilty,its the other way around. I realized its been this way for a long time I guess,take my ordeal for example. I was an innocent man arrested,spent a night in jail(which was horrible,the worst experience of my life),got stuck with thousands in legal fees,still have the arrest record(I have to pay $1,200 to get my arrest record expunged) and after all this my license to carry was suspended BEFORE I was even charged let alone convicted of ANY crime. And to top this all off the local police refuse to return my gun.

So all this has got me thinking what if I have to draw my weapon in the future to stop a crime but not fire it? Will I be charged AGAIN with a crime I didn't commit,even if I call the police first? I'm still undecided on if I should carry again or not I still believe in the right to carry and own a gun and the right of self defense,but I don't want to end up in prison either.,what if I hesitate for that split second and it costs me my life? What are your thoughts on this guys should I start carrying again and risk legal issues of not?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I have no idea what happened or what you were charged with. What I do know is I'd find an attorney that is above the norm to find out if you had any Constitutional Rights violated for a case in Federal Court.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

That's a hard one man.....I'm not going to tell you what to do but I will say this, you wanted to carry for a reason. Given all of the knowledge you have on carrying, bad guys, etc. you don't want to make an emotional decision based on this one experience. It was horrible, it was traumatic it sounds like, and the system sucks to say the least; but you started carrying for a reason and go back to when you first started getting interested in carrying and if you still feel like you want to not carry anymore then don't. If you feel you may have some hesitation in a situation you probably shouldn't carry because you then are a danger to yourself. Good luck with your choice though and keep your head up.

Any chance of linking to that recent thread?

My advice is to carry anyway. Yes, some --many?---cops are out to get you, but if you have used your weapon correctly in self defense, then the alternative is that you or your family are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Well as some of you here know from my recent thread about my recent arrest and subsequent out come of the state not filing charges against me. Long story short I'll have my carry permit reinstated this week or next week,however I'm not sure I want to resume carrying. I state this because after spending a night in county lock up it got me thinking about something,and that is what if I'm ever forced to use my gun in SD? What if I get railroaded like the night I was arrested having done nothing wrong in the first place?

I still feel a bit jaded about the whole thing because let me tell you we are not innocent until proven guilty,its the other way around. I realized its been this way for a long time I guess,take my ordeal for example. I was an innocent man arrested,spent a night in jail(which was horrible,the worst experience of my life),got stuck with thousands in legal fees,still have the arrest record(I have to pay $1,200 to get my arrest record expunged) and after all this my license to carry was suspended BEFORE I was even charged let alone convicted of ANY crime. And to top this all off the local police refuse to return my gun.

So all this has got me thinking what if I have to draw my weapon in the future to stop a crime but not fire it? Will I be charged AGAIN with a crime I didn't commit,even if I call the police first? I'm still undecided on if I should carry again or not I still believe in the right to carry and own a gun and the right of self defense,but I don't want to end up in prison either.,what if I hesitate for that split second and it costs me my life? What are your thoughts on this guys should I start carrying again and risk legal issues of not?
    My suggestion would be to sleep on it for a few days and then decide. My dad once told me to never make important decisions when you're angry or drunk.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

At least carry and conceal a handgun inside your motor vehicle; but you obviously have been giving a lot of serious thought to potential and possible problems if you choose to use a gun to defend yourself or somebody else. There could be legal and civil consequences with lawsuits and prison and jail without bail. CCW is not a game for girls and boys, fame and fun with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Any chance of linking to that recent thread?

My advice is to carry anyway. Yes, some --many?---cops are out to get you, but if you have used your weapon correctly in self defense, then the alternative is that you or your family are dead.
    I'm guessing this would be the thread...
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...un-rights.html

No charges....and they won't give your gun back? Why on earth would they keep your firearm? This sounds like a complete pain in the arse. I too would sleep on this decision. Your life is not any less valuable now. I read your original post regarding this and I think that you just got caught in the wrong set of circumstances to make it go away immediately. I feel you did the right thing, as stated in your OP, by grabbing your pistol from the perspective of retention. How could you have reacted any differently in that situation other than to hope he didn't grab it and use it on you. Good luck. I hope you decide to stay safe.

AzB
    Good luck with your issues. It doesn't sound easy, so definitely take some time to think about things.

Az

Think about the gain vs loss...if you have to shoot someone to defend yourself or your family, you and your family will be alive....you'll also be investigated and possibly charged.

The other side of it is: you don't carry, hope you are never confronted by a BG who wants to take your wallet, your wife and your life...and you can't do anything about about it. You'll be dead....or worse, your family member will be dead and you have to live with it.

Meanwhile, it's obvious your step-son has some criminal tendencies and is willing to do anything to bury you (being an addict). What is your family situation looking like now? (rhetorical--no need to address in this forum if you do not desire). It's obvious that you and your stepson cannot be in the same house--what happens the next time he gets mad at you and calls 911 and accuses you of stabbing him/threatening him with a knife?

Even if you don't carry, you still risk being arrested based on the report of a 15-yr old addict....and based on what I've read from your posts--the mom will side with him over you. Not a good situation.

Also, have you consulted with an attorney to retrieve your firearm?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

While I can understand reconsidering carrying, I would never give up a house gun. I hope you dont have that in mind as well?

And I'd take some time before making your decision, as others suggested.

Sorry this happened to you.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I'd think that if you got the locks changed in your house, so the kid and his father can't get in, you should have no further problems, and remember to never go for your weapon unless you're going to use it. Then it's a simple, court, or die decision. Just another thought to weigh. Wish you the best what ever you do.
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Our legal system is to be feared more than the BG's,in my opinion. Domestic problems are the worst. I understand why you would not carry now.I wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    My suggestion would be to sleep on it for a few days and then decide. My dad once told me to never make important decisions when your angry or drunk.
    +1

Things to ponder and weigh. Only you can decide whats right for you. Consider the reasons you've been carrying and decide if those reasons are still valid or if the risks outweight those reasons. Hope all goes well for you in the future with your situation. Ex's and step families are difficult situations. Good luck, be safe.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Let me say this...
    I realize that our "Injustice System" can really ruin one's day.
    Yes, sometimes it does seem like we are guilty until proven innocent.

But when you're dead...YOU ARE DEAD!

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links