No CC at gun shows - Page 2

No CC at gun shows

This is a discussion on No CC at gun shows within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We've found the enemy and it's us. If we don't trust ourselves why should Walmart? If one cannot be mature and responsible carrying a gun ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No CC at gun shows

We've found the enemy and it's us. If we don't trust ourselves why should Walmart?
    If one cannot be mature and responsible carrying a gun at a gun show he should not have a CHL.

Don't bother to give me the nonsense that a gun show is different and we need or want to show out guns to see if the holster fits, etc.
    If you cannot be trusted then you should not carry.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    (how many school zones you drive through today?). etc. etc.
    Where I live anyway, gun free school zones don't exist in State law. But I admit I'm not up on the federal law and having a hard time finding info about it.

That's the same deal in VA. No loaded guns, zipties at the door, etc. Ironically, while in the show I bought a snubnosed 38 (no zip tie) and 300 rounds of 38 spcl rounds. Carried the unloaded gun in one pocket and 5 rounds of 38 in the other.

I agree that it makes no sense, but the rationale given to me was to eliminate NDs. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I at least understood the rationale given. The irony is I can buy a gun without a tie and ammo in the show. The whole process at the door is merely a feel good measure or perhaps an insurance or ordinance requirement. Illogical. I carried my 9mm with me to the last show, unchambered, checked at the front, zip tied, put full mag in pocket, tied gun in the IWB, and a pocket knife in case the SHTF...which should be unlikely given the presence of so many guns and ammo. BTW, in VA, vendors at the shows are allowed to CC loaded weapons. Go figure.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    you can legally carry at the gun show but if you are found to be caarrying you will be asked to leave....it is a safety issue...a lot of guns get passed back and forth at gun shows for trade evaluations...holster checks...accessory fitting...etc....judging by some of the careless handling ive seen in gun stores a lone i dont blame them for requiring guns to be empty...

concealed is concealed...if there is no reason to expose your gun then there is no reason for anybody to know it is on your person...get caught and you leave...thats it...youre not breaking a law unless you refuse to leave...

VIP Member
    This has been beat to death:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...gun-shows.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-gunshows.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...your-guns.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...how-carry.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-friendly.html

I DON'T have a problem with unloading to go into a gun show. These venues are PRIVATE PROPERTY & the owner's wishes should be respected. I'm very PRO_GUN, but I don't let people I don't know, or who handle firearms carelessly, carry on my property!

I go to a lot of these shows & have had numerous firearms pointed at me! Most are just by people NOT paying attention to where the muzzle is pointed....OTHERS have actually aimed the firearm, using myself or other patrons to 'check out the sights'. If you haven't had this happen to you at a gun show.....You either weren't paying attention (walking around in WHITE) or you've never been to a gun show! A couple of people I have even 'dressed down' & embarrassed them when they do it. I had a guy who picked up a rifle with a scope & laser, who then shouldered the rifle & used my chest as a target from several isles away! After a severe berating by myself, he left the show...WITHOUT a purchase!

Not all attendees at the shows are as careful as they should be.......

There have been numerous NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES at gun shows, even when they ask that ALL weapons be unloaded. I am glad they tell EVERYBODY to unload. There are way to many numb skulls with poor firearms skills.....& I don't want to get accidentally shot!

As to the people who say that they won't unload for ANY reason at a gun show......I have ONE piece of advice (if you decide to disregard the rules):

DON'T FOR ANY REASON REMOVE YOUR CARRY ARM WHILE AT A SHOW..... Not even to try the next, new fangled, wizz-bang holster or latest Tom Swiftie laser that you have been trying to find. ....because I don't want you accidentally shooting me!

If EVERYBODY were attentive to this, there would be NO NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES at these shows.

If you're worried about being 'disarmed' while in the show, keep this in mind: If some miscreant, BG or just plain dumb a$$ starts shooting ....I'm hitting the deck, because all of the other nimrods who DIDN'T unload are going to be going for their guns....even the guys who unloaded are going to be trying to load theirs.......& how many more NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES are going to occur? I have better than average shooting skills, but in a close, densely occupied show venue.....How can you be sure of where your rounds fired at a potential BG are going? How many innocents are YOU going to hit in the process of stopping a BG?.....YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL ROUNDS YOU FIRE!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I will not be going to any gun shows if they are anti-carry and if they dont let you carry then they are anti-carry....I mean c-mon... Starbucks lets u carry.. no excuse no excuse...ND is the same reason that the antis say that you should not carry...........................HYPOCRISY........................
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Something to think about

I could see it as a loss prevention measure as well. At my local gunshow they put a red tag on any gun that comes in. I'd had to get caught W/ my favorite carry piece and no red tag

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this either. If you have a gun you want to sell, trade, etc, then sure perform all steps to make sure its unloaded and safe. But with CC, you're not going to be handling your carry weapon at all making accidental/negligent discharges virtually impossible.

Btw, HowardCohodas that is a nice avatar. I really like it!!

No CC at Gun Shows

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    This has been beat to death:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...gun-shows.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-gunshows.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...your-guns.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-friendly.html

I DON'T have a problem with unloading to go into a gun show. These venues are PRIVATE PROPERTY & the owner's wishes should be respected. I'm very PRO_GUN, but I don't let people I don't know, or who handle firearms carelessly, carry on my property!

I go to a lot of these shows & have had numerous firearms pointed at me! Most are just by people NOT paying attention to where the muzzle is pointed....OTHERS have actually aimed the firearm, using myself or other patrons to 'check out the sights'. If you haven't had this happen to you at a gun show.....You either weren't paying attention (walking around in WHITE) or you've never been to a gun show! A couple of people I have even 'dressed down' & embarrassed them when they do it. I had a guy who picked up a rifle with a scope & laser, who then shouldered the rifle & used my chest as a target from several isles away! After a severe berating by myself, he left the show...WITHOUT a purchase!

Not all attendees at the shows are as careful as they should be.......

There have been numerous NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES at gun shows, even when they ask that ALL weapons be unloaded. I am glad they tell EVERYBODY to unload. There are way to many numb skulls with poor firearms skills.....& I don't want to get accidentally shot!

As to the people who say that they won't unload for ANY reason at a gun show......I have ONE piece of advice (if you decide to disregard the rules):

DON'T FOR ANY REASON REMOVE YOUR CARRY ARM WHILE AT A SHOW..... Not even to try the next, new fangled, wizz-bang holster or latest Tom Swiftie laser that you have been trying to find. ....because I don't want you accidentally shooting me!

If EVERYBODY were attentive to this, there would be NO NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES at these shows.

If you're worried about being 'disarmed' while in the show, keep this in mind: If some miscreant, BG or just plain dumb a$$ starts shooting ....I'm hitting the deck, because all of the other nimrods who DIDN'T unload are going to be going for their guns....even the guys who unloaded are going to be trying to load theirs.......& how many more NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES are going to occur? I have better than average shooting skills, but in a close, densely occupied show venue.....How can you be sure of where your rounds fired at a potential BG are going? How many innocents are YOU going to hit in the process of stopping a BG?.....YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL ROUNDS YOU FIRE!

This user states the issue precisely. This is all related to muzzle control and commom sense. IN 30 years at the range I have seen many times that a fellow shooter could easily take you out due to poor firearm control (instruct). My eyes are on ALL fellow shooters at the range period. There are many poor handlers out there and I have witnessed personally poor muzzle control from highly trained individuals. Treat every fiream as if it is loaded, Know your target and what lies beyond, and muzzle control. It is one of these rules being violated that causes the restrictive rules we are seeing implemented everywhere.

The next time you drive to work and think "who is this dirtbag in the fastlane doing 50MPH" that knows he is holding everyone up behind him and won't move over? The same guy pointing a muzzle at you when you are at the range on any given Sunday. While unfortunate the issue exists. While I can say that I have never had a firearm go off in my hannd unintentionally the possibilty exists and for that reason we must follow the basic 3 rules or join the dirtbag in the fastlane previously mentioned.

Besides I challenge anyone to cite and incident at a gunshow where someone was robbed- "inside the facility" not in the parking lot where you are allowed to carry but "outside". I carry all the time but this is one place I would expect the changce of having my life threatened would be very low indeed..

I agree. I fail to see how gun safety rules would all of a sudden be thrown out at a gun show. What's the difference if you carry there or carry in a crowded mall? Either way if you have a ND you are going to hit someone.

I realize that in a gun show guns are out, being displayed, played with, etc. But doesn't that throw "our" whole theory - everybody being armed in society makes a it a safer society - out the window?

Emrah

No CC at gun shows

Quote Originally Posted by Emrah View Post
    I agree. I fail to see how gun safety rules would all of a sudden be thrown out at a gun show. What's the difference if you carry there or carry in a crowded mall? Either way if you have a ND you are going to hit someone.

I realize that in a gun show guns are out, being displayed, played with, etc. But doesn't that throw "our" whole theory - everybody being armed in society makes a it a safer society - out the window?

Emrah
    The problem is simply just because an idividual can obtain a CWP doe NOT make them a safe weapon handler. You don't need a license to have a kid and heaven knows society has its share of unfit parents and worse... I think that the "gun show" enviroment makes poor gun handlers even worse with the "it's unloaded" mantiality.

Whenever I show a firearm to someone I:

1. Drop the magazine
    2: Open the breech
    3. Verify the weapon is in fact unloaded by visially checking the barrel
    4: Show the person I am handing the firearm to that the breech is indeed empty and wait for their response to that effect.
    5. Ask them to recheck it once I have passed control to them.

This simple test is good for a first time visit to the range with a buddy. It will give you some insight to their safety techniques.
    When I get to #4 if they even look a little goofy by what I am doing I flag them in my mind to keep an extra eye on them.

Here's Eastman's take on it and why I don't go to their shows:

6. No loaded firearms will be permitted in these shows. No personal firearms or loaded magazines or loose ammunition. Immediate rejection from these shows is the rule if you or any member of your party is found with any of these items. No personal weapons allowed.

With all the handling of weapons at a gun show, and the security provided, I don't have a problem unloading or leaving it in the truck. I don't want to get a foot shot off because someone wants to see how that holster works with his carry weapon.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I go to a lot of these shows & have had numerous firearms pointed at me! Most are just by people NOT paying attention to where the muzzle is pointed....OTHERS have actually aimed the firearm, using myself or other patrons to 'check out the sights'. If you haven't had this happen to you at a gun show.....You either weren't paying attention (walking around in WHITE) or you've never been to a gun show!
    I've been to plenty of shows, people have pointed guns in my general direction (they also do this pretty much anytime I visit a gun store) but I have never had someone use me as a 'target'.

I'd be more worried about someone breaking into my car while I was inside, honestly.

I have never carried into a show but everytime I leave it in the car it is very disconcerting, because it's probably pretty obvious that every car in that lot has a gun inside to steal.

Plus there's always the fact that you may be walking across a dark parking lot to get back to your car, unarmed. But I don't see that as as likely a problem because BGs could just steal directly from the cars.

And...no carry gun should ever leave the holster while loaded except at home, the range, or in a SD situation anyway, it doesn't matter if it's at a gun show, or whatever. I think the problem is more people who DON'T normally CC who may not be used to it and thus want to 'show off' or other such stupid things.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've solved the CC carry at all gun shows...I quit going about 6-7 years ago...no more overpriced guns, ammo..., although I do miss those nice CCW badges.
    +1 there.

The last one I went to, was with a buddy that just had to go and see for himself. I showed him the same pistol he was looking for at our local gun store, but it was $40 less than the one at the show; and we didn't have to pay a cover charge and deal with all the over crowding to boot.

Some deals can be had on speciality items, but for the average gun purchase, I think the local GS deserves the business over the Gun Show hype. JMO
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links