Need Some Advice

This is a discussion on Need Some Advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A lot of good responses. I to have been involved in the Martial Arts for 20+ years along with teaching Self-Defense for that same time ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Some Advice

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    A lot of good responses. I to have been involved in the Martial Arts for 20+ years along with teaching Self-Defense for that same time in and out of the mililtary. I agree with most of the others, it''s nice to know if I need it, I have that other option to fall back on if my brain and avoidance tactics failed me.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

2. Remove Ads

I'm an old fart who does not choose to be picked out as an easy target by some preditory dirtbag in a Wally World parking lot.
    I am alert to my surroundings, but I need the tools on my belt to insure that if out numbered, I have the necessary equipment to more than equalize a 'situation' so as to effect my arrival home each and every night.
    Life holds no guarantees, even for those somewhat prepared, but I choose to do all that I can to make my selection by some dirtbag as an easy mark...his/their biggest mistake for that evening's hunting rituals.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 5th, 2010 at 10:48 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The mind is the most important weapon we have. But, what normally gets us into trouble is when we fail to use it. I echo what many have already said, avoid danger if possible and keep your head on a swivel. I have had guys be rude, push past me in stores and I remained humble why? Because when we carry we are held to a higher standard and in reality it is more dangerous to carry than to not.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

"...when I'm carrying I feel Completely Relaxed..."

I have to agree with GWRedDragon; don't let your feelings cloud your judgement. It's easy to imagine you will react to a threat with calm composure, but you should be prepared for the adrenaline dump and the accompanying deterioration of your fine motor skills.
    Don't kid yourself; if it happens, it will be an ugly, ugly scene and you will be badly shaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophyhunter View Post
    I 've always been active in shooting and hunting.
    When I decided to get my carry permit a few years ago I really never Considered the Responsibility that came along with it.
    After Reading a lot of posts and, gathering much needed Intel, I realized that I still don't know the real reason why I carry.
    I'm a bigger guy at 6'2 245lbs. and I have Studied Martial Arts my whole Life.
    So I can take care of myself should the situation ever arise.
    We all have different reasons for carrying.
    I think the biggest reason I do is the feeling of being in Total Control.
    I guess what I mean is...when I'm carrying I feel Completely Relaxed Knowing that if something were to happen, I could defend myself.
    My question to all of you is: Is that a normal feeling or most importantly a responsible enough of a reason?
    Like I said I've read a ton of posts on why we carry - I just want to make sure that my reason is the same or close to some of yours.
    Thanks to all who will respond.
    It's important to me to hear what all of you think.
    Even though we have never met I feel that I can turn to any of you for questions and/or help .
    That's what we do here, help one another out and offer advice.
    Reasons I carry:
    To protect myself so if worse come to worse I want to be the one that come home at night.
    To protect my family, Loving wife, children, and grandchildren
    To protect friends and other if the need arises
    Because of our forefathers and 2A
    Because a armed society is a polite society
    BECAUSE SOMETHING INSIDE ME SAYS "CARRY AND JUST BE READY."
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Old saying...

"Two to the chest , one to the Head , and even the Jolly
    Green Giant will fall down dead"

That applies for good guys as well as bad guys.

Keep carrying.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

carry

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm an old fart who does not choose to be picked out as an easy target by some preditory dirtbag in a Wally World parking lot.
    I am alert to my surroundings, but I need the tools on my belt to insure that if out numbered, I have the necessary equipment to more than equalize a 'situation' so as to effect my arrival home each and every night.
    Life holds no guarantees, even for those somewhat prepared, but I choose to do all that I can to make my selection by some dirtbag as an easy mark...his/their biggest mistake for that evening's hunting rituals.
    +1

I am also a AARP card carrying guy. However, I am also only 5.7. I don't want to be a victim. Todays society is different.
    I don't want to shoot someone. However, if I HAVE to, I will. I don't look for a fight, and I would rather back away. I have pulled into a parking lot of an establishment and looked around. (SA) I have restarted the car and left because something or the "local inhabitants" did not look right. I avoid trouble. Someone who attacked a smaller guy like me can use "strong arm" and win. Someone who attacks Hulk Hogan better have a big gun.

Now, back you your original question, if you feel that you may NEED the gun, carry it. If you are carrying to be "completely relaxed", leave it home. You should not be relaxed, but be situationally aware (SA). Walking away may not be macho to a guy your size and with your martial arts training, but you'll live to kick another day....
    We all ain't chuck Norris.......

In the South we have a saying: " Boy, are you dumb bringing those muscles/knife/pepper sray to a gunfight.
    As someone said "1st rule of a gunfight, have a gun"

Thanks To all who responded. Great advice! I now have allot more Knowledge and, Responcilbilty from reading all your posts. I agree with all of them and, now feel I'm not alone. Being a bigger guy doesnt mean I wont be put in harms way. and, now that i'm 45 I can no longer defend agasint 2 or, more BG'S But, most important I gained a better understanding for CC Thanks again for the help
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

Hi TrophyHunter,

I know what you are saying about being "completely relaxed" when you are carrying, and that you also feel that you are in "total control". However -- and I don't know how common this is at all -- I actually feel much less relaxed, and even less in total control, when I am armed (which is always).

One of the reasons I feel less relaxed, as some have stated here, is the terrible consequences if one should make the wrong decision during a high pressure, split second critical incident while armed.

CCW'ing also makes you more aware of your environment (or at least it should), and thus I am less able to walk around with my head happily up my @ss, just smelling the roses. Instead, I feel I have to be a bit more on-guard, and thus not as relaxed.

And, even though I am definitely not a "sheepdog" or wanna-be-cop person at all (I'm more of a "I don't want to get involved" type), I still feel I would have a certain responsibility to help someone who was in a really bad situation (over and above calling the police). But if I were not armed I could just say, "well, there's nothing I can really do for her/him, so I'll be on my way now".

Then there is also the worry about 100% safe gun handling, as well as "concealed means concealed" concerns we all have when we have a CCW firearm on our person.

All of these "issues" with carrying a concealed gun causes me great anxiety rather than relaxation.

Then, why do I carry a weapon if it makes me so uncomfortable? Because I feel a huge responsibility to at least have a fighting chance to protect myself and my wife from the occasional BG's that are out there.

A pistol may not be enough when the SHTF but, as with wearing a seat belt and driving a car with an airbag, it is pretty much the best you can do under the circumstances…

-Bill

Bill, you have described my own feelings very well.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links