Need Some Advice

This is a discussion on Need Some Advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I 've always been active in shooting and hunting. When I decided to get my carry permit a few years ago I really never Considered ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Advice

Need Some Advice

I 've always been active in shooting and hunting.
    When I decided to get my carry permit a few years ago I really never Considered the Responsibility that came along with it.
    After Reading a lot of posts and, gathering much needed Intel, I realized that I still don't know the real reason why I carry.
    I'm a bigger guy at 6'2 245lbs. and I have Studied Martial Arts my whole Life.
    So I can take care of myself should the situation ever arise.
    We all have different reasons for carrying.
    I think the biggest reason I do is the feeling of being in Total Control.
    I guess what I mean is...when I'm carrying I feel Completely Relaxed Knowing that if something were to happen, I could defend myself.
    My question to all of you is: Is that a normal feeling or most importantly a responsible enough of a reason?
    Like I said I've read a ton of posts on why we carry - I just want to make sure that my reason is the same or close to some of yours.
    Thanks to all who will respond.
    It's important to me to hear what all of you think.
    Even though we have never met I feel that I can turn to any of you for questions and/or help .
    That's what we do here, help one another out and offer advice.
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Six feet, two inches of martial arts is pretty worthless against a BG with a gun at ten feet. That's reason enough. If you're comfortable carrying, why not?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

GM
    I am relaxed in the way that I am not constantly thinking that I am CCing, but not otherwise. Because if I consider that a situation could imply getting in trouble I avoid it right away. I understand when you say “When I am carrying I feel Completely Relaxed Knowing that if something were to happen, I could defend myself ...”; however, it could make you feel safe when you really are not. Your gun does not make you be like superman; and do not forget that if you carry a gun, most probably the BG does it too. Furthermore, we cannot ignore the possible legal consequences if we have to use our gun against other human being. No, I do not think that I can afford to be completely relaxed when I carry a firearm.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Action beats reaction. Doesn't matter how big you are, if you're not aware you are prone to attack.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Relaxed sounds like an emotional reaction.

IMO carry should be a logical decision, not an emotional one.

Sorry, just my opinion.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

When you cc, you are not instantly "able" to take care of any situation that arises, you are just better equipped and have additional options. Your best tool is still your brain.

Your #1 priority should be awareness and avoidance. That metal weight on your hip is a last resort.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

You have some deterrent and less than lethal force options that others without your size and ability may not have. That's good. You also have a lethal force option if there is no other choice. That is best.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

The cc is nothing more than another tool, another option for self defence and defence of loved one's ect. IMO. But as Sticks says the very best tool is between your ears. I will stress the between your ears part and also I will throw this in myself personally, I will use my "tool" as my last resort against threat. I try to avoid situations that put me and mine in those kinds of predicaments as best I can.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Having my concealed weapons permit, having made a conscious decision to carry for MY defense and the defense of MY FAMILY, and having made a commitment to train in the event I must ever use the "tool" I've chosen for EDC, has made me realize the large responsibility I've assumed and has given me confidence in my choices. I accept that responsibility and search every day for additional knowledge and guidance that will assist my developed abilities, in the event I have to use that tool. I do not have the luxury of youth, the satisfaction of being a large man, the martial arts skills, but I do have an inner "warrior spirit" instilled in me from my earliest days of playing competitive sports, thru my military career, my overall competitive spirit, and reenforced with my defensive handgun training. I strive to be as "ready" as I can be, knowing that I will continue to train and learn. That allows me to carry with confidence, knowing should the most evil situation arise, that a BG will have to beat me to death with my empty weapon. That's how I feel..JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have been amartial arts instructor for several years. My decison to carry concealed also relates to having more options and getting older. One on one I am sure I could handle an unarmed or knife wielding opponent. However, bad guys seldom work alone or unarmed.

I do wonder sometimes what would happen if I was forced to defend myself with my handgun and ended up in court. I can hear some attorney questioning my use of the gun when it might have been possible to use my martial arts training in a less lethal manner. Have you thought about this also?

Being a multi don black belt does not make you superman. You know as well as I do that one lucky punch could incapacitate you long enough for disaster to happen. Therefore, I have my permit and carry concealed for the protection of my family.

Genghis

I think you got some great advice from everyone who has already posted. I'll throw my $.02 in on this....
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophyhunter View Post
    When Im carrying I feel Completely Relaxed
    I haven't been CC'ing nearly as long as some others here, but it doesn't give me a feeling of relaxation, as much as one of responsibility.

I was already responsible for my safety and that of my family. Now, I'm responsible for that of anyone beyond, or to the left or right of a potential threat, if that day comes. For that reason, my SA and judgement are as heightened as my sense of responsibility.

And my last soapbox comment: take care your feeling of relaxation doesn't allow you to slide into complacency.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    When you cc, you are not instantly "able" to take care of any situation that arises, you are just better equipped and have additional options. Your best tool is still your brain.

Your #1 priority should be awareness and avoidance. That metal weight on your hip is a last resort.
    +1 it can't be said any better than that.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I will add that it is reasonable that your defensive options give you a sense of security, but at the same time it should be accompanied by an overwhelming sense of responsibility.

I'm a big guy, and I've taken care of myself in plenty of altercations without a weapon. In today's society, people don't "fight" like they used to. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. No defensive options are 100%, but they can improve your odds. Awareness, avoidance, and get out of dodge. Be safe.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

One added thought, carrying a handgun does not make me feel relaxed or superior. It is a tremendous responsibility. While I am carrying I am more aware of my surroundings and of the responsibility of having a gun on my person entails. I feel safer not complacent.

I carry for one reason only and that is the defense of my family and property.

Genghis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Six feet, two inches of martial arts is pretty worthless against a BG with a gun at ten feet. That's reason enough. If you're comfortable carrying, why not?
    My first thought also, good enough reason for anyone.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links