Defensive Carry banner

Need Some Advice

2K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  Majorlk 
#1 ·
I 've always been active in shooting and hunting.
When I decided to get my carry permit a few years ago I really never Considered the Responsibility that came along with it.
After Reading a lot of posts and, gathering much needed Intel, I realized that I still don't know the real reason why I carry.
I'm a bigger guy at 6'2 245lbs. and I have Studied Martial Arts my whole Life.
So I can take care of myself should the situation ever arise.
We all have different reasons for carrying.
I think the biggest reason I do is the feeling of being in Total Control.
I guess what I mean is...when I'm carrying I feel Completely Relaxed Knowing that if something were to happen, I could defend myself.
My question to all of you is: Is that a normal feeling or most importantly a responsible enough of a reason?
Like I said I've read a ton of posts on why we carry - I just want to make sure that my reason is the same or close to some of yours.
Thanks to all who will respond.
It's important to me to hear what all of you think.
Even though we have never met I feel that I can turn to any of you for questions and/or help .
That's what we do here, help one another out and offer advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
Six feet, two inches of martial arts is pretty worthless against a BG with a gun at ten feet. That's reason enough. If you're comfortable carrying, why not?

#3 ·
I am relaxed in the way that I am not constantly thinking that I am CCing, but not otherwise. Because if I consider that a situation could imply getting in trouble I avoid it right away. I understand when you say “When I am carrying I feel Completely Relaxed Knowing that if something were to happen, I could defend myself ...”; however, it could make you feel safe when you really are not. Your gun does not make you be like superman; and do not forget that if you carry a gun, most probably the BG does it too. Furthermore, we cannot ignore the possible legal consequences if we have to use our gun against other human being. No, I do not think that I can afford to be completely relaxed when I carry a firearm.

#5 ·
Relaxed sounds like an emotional reaction.

IMO carry should be a logical decision, not an emotional one.

Sorry, just my opinion.

#6 ·
When you cc, you are not instantly "able" to take care of any situation that arises, you are just better equipped and have additional options. Your best tool is still your brain.

Your #1 priority should be awareness and avoidance. That metal weight on your hip is a last resort.

#7 ·
You have some deterrent and less than lethal force options that others without your size and ability may not have. That's good. You also have a lethal force option if there is no other choice. That is best.

#8 ·
The cc is nothing more than another tool, another option for self defence and defence of loved one's ect. IMO. But as Sticks says the very best tool is between your ears. I will stress the between your ears part and also I will throw this in myself personally, I will use my "tool" as my last resort against threat. I try to avoid situations that put me and mine in those kinds of predicaments as best I can.

#9 ·
Having my concealed weapons permit, having made a conscious decision to carry for MY defense and the defense of MY FAMILY, and having made a commitment to train in the event I must ever use the "tool" I've chosen for EDC, has made me realize the large responsibility I've assumed and has given me confidence in my choices. I accept that responsibility and search every day for additional knowledge and guidance that will assist my developed abilities, in the event I have to use that tool. I do not have the luxury of youth, the satisfaction of being a large man, the martial arts skills, but I do have an inner "warrior spirit" instilled in me from my earliest days of playing competitive sports, thru my military career, my overall competitive spirit, and reenforced with my defensive handgun training. I strive to be as "ready" as I can be, knowing that I will continue to train and learn. That allows me to carry with confidence, knowing should the most evil situation arise, that a BG will have to beat me to death with my empty weapon. That's how I feel..JMO

#10 ·
I have been amartial arts instructor for several years. My decison to carry concealed also relates to having more options and getting older. One on one I am sure I could handle an unarmed or knife wielding opponent. However, bad guys seldom work alone or unarmed.

I do wonder sometimes what would happen if I was forced to defend myself with my handgun and ended up in court. I can hear some attorney questioning my use of the gun when it might have been possible to use my martial arts training in a less lethal manner. Have you thought about this also?

Being a multi don black belt does not make you superman. You know as well as I do that one lucky punch could incapacitate you long enough for disaster to happen. Therefore, I have my permit and carry concealed for the protection of my family.

Genghis

#11 ·
I think you got some great advice from everyone who has already posted. I'll throw my $.02 in on this....
When Im carrying I feel Completely Relaxed
I haven't been CC'ing nearly as long as some others here, but it doesn't give me a feeling of relaxation, as much as one of responsibility.

I was already responsible for my safety and that of my family. Now, I'm responsible for that of anyone beyond, or to the left or right of a potential threat, if that day comes. For that reason, my SA and judgement are as heightened as my sense of responsibility.

And my last soapbox comment: take care your feeling of relaxation doesn't allow you to slide into complacency.

#13 ·
I will add that it is reasonable that your defensive options give you a sense of security, but at the same time it should be accompanied by an overwhelming sense of responsibility.

I'm a big guy, and I've taken care of myself in plenty of altercations without a weapon. In today's society, people don't "fight" like they used to. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. No defensive options are 100%, but they can improve your odds. Awareness, avoidance, and get out of dodge. Be safe.

#14 ·
One added thought, carrying a handgun does not make me feel relaxed or superior. It is a tremendous responsibility. While I am carrying I am more aware of my surroundings and of the responsibility of having a gun on my person entails. I feel safer not complacent.

I carry for one reason only and that is the defense of my family and property.

Genghis

#16 ·
A lot of good responses. I to have been involved in the Martial Arts for 20+ years along with teaching Self-Defense for that same time in and out of the mililtary. I agree with most of the others, it''s nice to know if I need it, I have that other option to fall back on if my brain and avoidance tactics failed me.

#17 · (Edited)
I'm an old fart who does not choose to be picked out as an easy target by some preditory dirtbag in a Wally World parking lot.:nono:
I am alert to my surroundings, but I need the tools on my belt to insure that if out numbered, I have the necessary equipment to more than equalize a 'situation' so as to effect my arrival home each and every night.:wave:
Life holds no guarantees, even for those somewhat prepared, but I choose to do all that I can to make my selection by some dirtbag as an easy mark...his/their biggest mistake for that evening's hunting rituals.:comeandgetsome:

#22 ·
carry

+1

I am also a AARP card carrying guy. However, I am also only 5.7. I don't want to be a victim. Todays society is different.
I don't want to shoot someone. However, if I HAVE to, I will. I don't look for a fight, and I would rather back away. I have pulled into a parking lot of an establishment and looked around. (SA) I have restarted the car and left because something or the "local inhabitants" did not look right. I avoid trouble. Someone who attacked a smaller guy like me can use "strong arm" and win. Someone who attacks Hulk Hogan better have a big gun.

Now, back you your original question, if you feel that you may NEED the gun, carry it. If you are carrying to be "completely relaxed", leave it home. You should not be relaxed, but be situationally aware (SA). Walking away may not be macho to a guy your size and with your martial arts training, but you'll live to kick another day....
We all ain't chuck Norris.......

In the South we have a saying: " Boy, are you dumb bringing those muscles/knife/pepper sray to a gunfight.
As someone said "1st rule of a gunfight, have a gun"

#18 ·
The mind is the most important weapon we have. But, what normally gets us into trouble is when we fail to use it. I echo what many have already said, avoid danger if possible and keep your head on a swivel. I have had guys be rude, push past me in stores and I remained humble why? Because when we carry we are held to a higher standard and in reality it is more dangerous to carry than to not.

#19 ·
"...when I'm carrying I feel Completely Relaxed..."

I have to agree with GWRedDragon; don't let your feelings cloud your judgement. It's easy to imagine you will react to a threat with calm composure, but you should be prepared for the adrenaline dump and the accompanying deterioration of your fine motor skills.
Don't kid yourself; if it happens, it will be an ugly, ugly scene and you will be badly shaken.

#20 ·
Reasons I carry:
To protect myself so if worse come to worse I want to be the one that come home at night.
To protect my family, Loving wife, children, and grandchildren
To protect friends and other if the need arises
Because of our forefathers and 2A
Because a armed society is a polite society
BECAUSE SOMETHING INSIDE ME SAYS "CARRY AND JUST BE READY."

#21 ·
Old saying...

"Two to the chest , one to the Head , and even the Jolly
Green Giant will fall down dead"

That applies for good guys as well as bad guys. :icon_neutral:

Keep carrying. :wave:

#23 ·
Thanks To all who responded. Great advice! I now have allot more Knowledge and, Responcilbilty from reading all your posts. I agree with all of them and, now feel I'm not alone. Being a bigger guy doesnt mean I wont be put in harms way. and, now that i'm 45 I can no longer defend agasint 2 or, more BG'S But, most important I gained a better understanding for CC Thanks again for the help

#24 ·
Hi TrophyHunter,

I know what you are saying about being "completely relaxed" when you are carrying, and that you also feel that you are in "total control". However -- and I don't know how common this is at all -- I actually feel much less relaxed, and even less in total control, when I am armed (which is always).

One of the reasons I feel less relaxed, as some have stated here, is the terrible consequences if one should make the wrong decision during a high pressure, split second critical incident while armed.

CCW'ing also makes you more aware of your environment (or at least it should), and thus I am less able to walk around with my head happily up my @ss, just smelling the roses. Instead, I feel I have to be a bit more on-guard, and thus not as relaxed.

And, even though I am definitely not a "sheepdog" or wanna-be-cop person at all (I'm more of a "I don't want to get involved" type), I still feel I would have a certain responsibility to help someone who was in a really bad situation (over and above calling the police). But if I were not armed I could just say, "well, there's nothing I can really do for her/him, so I'll be on my way now".

Then there is also the worry about 100% safe gun handling, as well as "concealed means concealed" concerns we all have when we have a CCW firearm on our person.

All of these "issues" with carrying a concealed gun causes me great anxiety rather than relaxation.

Then, why do I carry a weapon if it makes me so uncomfortable? Because I feel a huge responsibility to at least have a fighting chance to protect myself and my wife from the occasional BG's that are out there.

A pistol may not be enough when the SHTF but, as with wearing a seat belt and driving a car with an airbag, it is pretty much the best you can do under the circumstances…

-Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.