Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns? - Page 3

Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns?

This is a discussion on Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't heard that Vermont and Alaska have become so dangerous and unsafe because people can carry without a permit. I haven't seen any evidence ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns?

kpw
    I haven't heard that Vermont and Alaska have become so dangerous and unsafe because people can carry without a permit. I haven't seen any evidence of increased accidental or negligent shootings in states without required training either.
    "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Doesn't matter if I trust them or not.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

First, lets look at trust, How many people would you trust to stand behind you on a 1,000 foot cliff? For me that would be none. I trust no one except myself.
    With that out of the way lets consider how safe I would feel with everyone armed. The majority of people are law abiding and would try to do the right thing. That would mean if there are more people with guns then there are more people to watch my back. I would prefer to live in a society where all law abiding people were armed.

I posted this in the 2A section, it pretty much sums it up for me.

Nobody said freedom and liberty were the safest option, just the best for each individual person. Tyranny and governmental control has it's own dangers. I prefer to trust my freedom and responsibility to my own hands, not my governments. And I'll take the chance that the next guy will respect that like I do, and prepare if he does not. Some folks will too readily give their freedom away for perceived safety. As Ben F said they will get neither. The safety we might gain on one hand by getting rid of guns is not worth the danger we would face from not having them on the other hand.

Crooks work on the idea that most folks do not carry. How do you think that idea would change if most folks carried?

We are all endowed with rights and some of them are legally protected, safety is not one of them though.

To answer do I trust them? To a point. I try to give a certain level of respect and trust to everyone. It's then their opportunity to gain more or loose it all. As far as VT carry, the folks that should not legally possess guns carry them anyway. What's the difference in allowing folks who are allowed to possess them the right to carry them?

And my sig line.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I think I'm in agreement with ChiefJason, as displayed in my signature also.

"Freedom doesnt mean safe, it means free."
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I trust very few individuals, throw guns into the mix and the list narrows down to a few that I know.
    As soon as someone picks up a weapon, my eyes are all over their handling of the weapon. It doesn't take long to spot someone with unsafe habits. If that is the case, we part company until the weapons are gone.
    I know that lots of individuals carry a firearm, and I respect that right, but it does give me cause to scrutinize the use of that right.

That said...
    Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 5th, 2010 at 07:41 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Do you trust other people W/ guns?
    Yes, basically. Though, that trust doesn't go very far at all. Until such time as an individual has shown others he has no right to an expectation of trust or respect for his actions, that person hasn't earned any different attention from me or others than anyone else nearby. However, at the moment when such actions become a threat, what I and others in the area have to say about those actions becomes far more important than the person's opinions of the trust or respect he should have.

It reminds me of a Pastor at a church I used to attend that used to ask “Do you hate sin?” and everyone would raise their hand then he’d ask “Do you hate your sin?’ not quite as enthusiast a response.
    In every place, there are folks who don't see well.

In general do you trust other people, people that you don’t know or people that do things that, while legal, you disagree with , with a gun?
    It's easy for the potential lethality of guns to become a threat. The moment a person's actions threaten others, then at that moment trust and respect for the person's presence and actions has just been tossed out the window.

How would you feel if the entire country did away W/ permits and just allowed Vermont carry?
    Same as above.

Would you feel more or less safe?
    Not much different. I don't feel unsafe getting off a plane in Burlington or Stowe, nor walking through town there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In one sense yes, and in one sense no.
    Trust that they will make the right decision, I will have to. However true trust must be earned, hence I will have faith in man yet not complete trust.
    However there is a point no one has brought up. Yes there are people that have a gun for the wrong reasons falling into the basic category of “because it’s cool”. However I believe that there are also those that do not have the mentality to use a gun. This “guardian” mentality, is arguably the mentality that a person carrying a firearms should have. Someone who does not should probably not CC, and I definitely do not believe that I could come to trust them completely with a firearm.

I trust our military and the vast majority of civilian gun owners. I know how responsible I am with my firearms and I gotta think that the vast majority have a similar level respect for such a deadly tool. I mostly think of myself as your average adult male, nothing special, but and active part of the whole picture.

The way I look at is; just like with anything else, you have individuals that defy logic but until they demonstrate the trait, you just never really know.YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I'm reminded of a line from the movie Conair, "There's only two people I trust; one of them is me & the other is not you". This pretty much sums up my feelings in general. Firearm ownership doesn't figure into it much.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The OP's question seems an attempt at member admissions of hypocrisy. "why should someone trust you with a gun and you not trust them" sort of thing. I think it’s worded really vague. I mean "other people" includes law enforcement, open carriers, conceal carriers, military as well as every man, woman and child in the world. A huge number of which DOESN'T trust you with a gun no matter what. *cough* Brady *cough*

I know a few people that should not have a gun. These people have shown they either can't handle a gun properly or have continued to admit they would kill someone for a reason other then fear for their life. If someone can demonstrate they can handle a gun properly then I develop trust that they won't shoot me accidently. A trust that can be broken the moment they mishandle a gun. I fully expect the same from other people judging my ability to handle a gun.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I think people are reading more into this question than is there. I'm asking if you trust other people W/ guns. I'm not asking if you support gun control or Vermont carry , I just want to know if you trust other people's safe gunhandling skills?

If you do , would you trust it enough to go to the NRA convention knowing that everyone there was armed.

Originally posted by razor02087 The OP's question seems an attempt at member admissions of hypocrisy. "why should someone trust you with a gun and you not trust them" sort of thing. I think it’s worded really vague.

Originally posted by Treo It's a difficult question to properly articulate and I welcome any attempte to help flesh it out and properly frame it.

Originally posted by Treo I think a better question might be "Do you trust other people's safe gun handling skills?"

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I commend other people for exercising their rights. Do I trust them? No. Trust is earned, not deserved.
    This is a good common sense approach.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Originally posted by razor02087 The OP's question seems an attempt at member admissions of hypocrisy. "why should someone trust you with a gun and you not trust them" sort of thing. I think it’s worded really vague.

Originally posted by Treo It's a difficult question to properly articulate and I welcome any attempte to help flesh it out and properly frame it.

Originally posted by Treo I think a better question might be "Do you trust other people's safe gun handling skills?"
    my apologies Treo I admit to skimming through the thread
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I know alot of people who own guns, I grew up around guns as most of my
    freinds. I carried a firearm in my veical sence I was 18 years old (LEAGALLY)
    As far as trusting everyone with a gun, NO and that includes some LEO'S & I rather stay far away from them as possible, But that don't meen they don't
    have a right to own/carry one. JMO ; )
    H/D
    Last edited by hogdaddy; March 5th, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I didn't read the responses, but in the Steve Lee song "I like Guns" he says... "I ain't gonna shoot anyone, and no one shoots at me, 'cos I gotta gun"

That pretty much sums up my feelings.

I don't want to be down one, but I am OK being equal.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links