Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns?

This is a discussion on Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; this thread is scary how many people want their own rights but want to take them from others because like the gun fearers they dont ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns?

this thread is scary how many people want their own rights but want to take them from others because like the gun fearers they dont trust each other.

2. Remove Ads

I Think the Founding Fathers trusted the general population to have/own/carry firearms.

OD*
    Divide and conquer.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

First, do I trust other people with guns, no. Would I want to see their rights restricted to carry a gun, no. I know it is a paradox, but it is one we have to live with. As mentioned previously, I consider everybody behind the wheel , except me, a complete maniac and drive cautiously.

My major worry is the complete fearlessness some people have with a weapon. They just don't believe they could have a ND.

While on active duty in the USMC, I was on the pistol team most of the time and handled a 1911 almost every day. A neighbors wife, her husband was a USN Hospital Corpsman, brought over a cigar box one day. She had her father's 1911 in it. I had seen her kids outside playing with it, I thought it was a toy. As I took the piece out of the box, I immediately noted that the magazine was in, and the piece was heavy! I removed the magazine, which was loaded and immediately took the gun out into the backyard. Aiming at the ground I jacked the slide. Yes, a live round ejected!

Her kids had been playing cowboys and Indians with a loaded .45! She tried to give me the gun as it was hers, not her husband's, but I told her I would try to find her a buyer for it. She immediately sold it to me for $10.00(just to get it out of the house). I later gave it to one of my brothers.

I tell this just to show how ignorant some people are about guns. But I still have to defend their right to own them!

If you don't defend others' rights, you stand to lose your own.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by phair12 View Post
    this thread is scary how many people want their own rights but want to take them from others because like the gun fearers they dont trust each other.
    I dont think anyone is wanting to take anyone elses rights. This is a question of trust. I dont trust everyone to have a knife. Do I think they shouldnt be allowed? No, they should be as long as they havent previously demonstrated they are not to be trusted with the knife (felons, kids who stabs furniture, mentally incapable). Everyone should have the right to stab themselves, I just dont trust them not to stab me.

Ugh. I'm gonna try...

Forgive the political rant, I don't mean to offend, and only use this as a metaphor for my feelings. My standard, feeling only without thinking about it answer, would be "no, I don't want anyone except a few good people I know to have a gun". But thinking further about it, I don't agree with my emotions.

Left-wing political policy is extremely desireable and idealistic on paper. The idea of communism, taking care of the less fortunate, getting rid of weapons, saving the planet, etc. are all things that any child could get excited about. These ideas, while "perfect", do NOT work in the real world. They have been found to fail and be extremely costly experiments at the expense of the people they were meant to serve. This does not apply to all policy, and it goes both ways, please forgive my lack of full disclosure, it's in the name of saving space. How does that relate to guns?

My emotions and theory about the subject are hypocritical and not practical. I immediately realize I'm not one bit uncomfortable when I see someone who is likely concealing, and I see armed citizens and police every day without a second thought. Further, armed citizens and police see me every day and don't bat an eyelash, ask for ID, do a double-take, or anything except say "Hey there" and "be safe" on departure.

This is a case where the theory and what many would consider common sense goes out the window. Other people not having guns sounds good, but is not in line with reality. I like other good, trained people to be capable of defending themselves, and possibly smoke-check someone for my family or myself.

If someone has a gun to my head, and the outcome isn't looking good, I trust YOU to save a good man's life. I choose you, a man or woman with unknown experience, dealing with poor motor skills, reduced vision, shaking hands, and a heartbeat that can be heard in outer space, to put some metal in my attacker's electricity.

This isn't nearly complete and I don't think I articulated myself accurately, but I think the message is there.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post

If you do , would you trust it enough to go to the NRA convention knowing that everyone there was armed.

[/B]
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic174 View Post
    IMO it takes responsibility and a true desire to protect your self responsibly to get/obtain/apply for a permit. Much more so than just buying the gun. That right there is the first step in a little extra trust
    Not neccesarily true. Some state do not require any proof of training or responibilty of any kind. Have the money, get the gun. Is this a good thing? In constitutional theory Yes. In the real world NO!

Smile Humanity In/Humanity Out: Simple IO Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I don't trust other people period.........other people with guns!? Take anything good and throw a little humanity at it.....you'll see what I'm saying. I've come to my own terms with things as they are.
    Well said. My trust is earned, and it ages well unless you blow it up.

As I am a Range Officer in my time off, do I trust people with guns, NO! It isn't my job to trust anybody. It is my job to do the best to make sure everybody is safe and gets to go home that day. I don't decide who can or cannot, or should or should not have a gun. Every law abiding citizen has the RIGHT to own a gun.
    It does not bother me to see someone carrying a gun at any time. I do not think twice about seeing someone OC or sometimes poor CC. I am sure with all the permits in my state, many more people are carrying than I see.
    As some have stated about people and cars, that is why it is called defensive driving. It is your own responsibility to drive safely and to watch out for others.

Yesterday I was at my local range buying some stuff and about to rent a stall. I saw some folks ahead of me in line renting pistols and the way the handled them made me turn around and leave the place. Complete beginners who have never handled a firearm make me nervous in a range setting.

In an OC setting where the guns are holstered, I'm not concerned in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I haven't heard that Vermont and Alaska have become so dangerous and unsafe because people can carry without a permit. I haven't seen any evidence of increased accidental or negligent shootings in states without required training either.
    "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Doesn't matter if I trust them or not.
    I agree with the above 100%.

But to answer the OP's original question:

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Do you trust other people W/ guns?

How would you feel if the entire country did away W/ permits and just allowed Vermont carry? Would you feel more or less safe?

Responsible gun owners would still be responsible gun owners.
    Irresponsible gun owners would still be irresponsible gun owners.
    Criminals would still be criminals.

We have obviously left bad guys out of the discussion. I trust those who are on my side. I generally know who they are.

That said, I think a free permit that includes criminal/medical background checks would be the way to go. If you violate the law without a permit you would be cited and required to apply; fail and you would be held in violation of civil and criminal penalties applicable to possession of a firearm during the commission of the crime.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I keep an eye on people at the range even after I observe their safe handling.

My son-in-law recently bought handgun and planned to go to the range as soon as he could. My daughter was anxious about going with him, because she did not know how safe he would be. Her only experience was shooting with me. Turned out well, he was safe and they had fun.

Like many of the post have said we earn the trust of others by our actions.

Be safe shoot straight

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links