Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns?

This is a discussion on Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by goawayfarm I trust people that own firearms....BUT I DON'T TRUST PEOPLES GUN HANDLING! +1...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I trust people that own firearms....BUT I DON'T TRUST PEOPLES GUN HANDLING!
    +1
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Do you trust other people W/ guns?

How would you feel if the entire country did away W/ permits and just allowed Vermont carry? Would you feel more or less safe?
    I can and do in several different ways.

If the entire country did away with permits and allowed them to carry just because of the Second Amendment, I would feel exactly as safe as I do now.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Do you trust other people W/ guns?

_

Do I trust other people driving their cars? Nope. So I just suck it up and drive defensively. The same applies to gun carriers, few of whom I notice. (except if really looking for that)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    I'm reminded of a line from the movie Conair, "There's only two people I trust; one of them is me & the other is not you".

I love that movie! My favorite line is: "Put...the bunny....back....in the box."
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I do not favor VT style; except in theory. In theory it is great. HOWEVER,

In reality I like the idea of a background check for cc and some sort of Texas style classroom and test. I wish there were a reasonable way to test emotional maturity as well.

I would not feel comfortable knowing that everyone and anyone might be carrying concealed.

OTOH, I know that is happening now, illegally. The police find it on traffic stops all the time. Felon in possession. Teen in possession. That will continue to happen no matter what we do.

If someone wants to carry now, they do (in most states)...unless they are felons or have mental illness restrictions.

So I do not see alot more'people carrying concealed if we went like VT.

And you point it out yourself....if they really want to do so, they'll break the law to do it anyway. No way of stopping that.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I trust nobody except myself unless they earn my trust.
    Ditto.

As my mom used to tell me as a kid; "I'm from the show me state... Don't tell me what you can do. Show me."

Until proven otherwise I as a default assume as related to myself and my own well being in the physical that _everyone_ regardless of implied skill level be they a; LEO, IDPA shooter of equal or higher grade than me, or they claim to have been huntin' and shootin' since they were single digit age (almost always the worst ones for safety practices!).

When it comes to firearms you get many chances to get it wrong, and just one chance to get it right.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I can and do in several different ways.

If the entire country did away with permits and allowed them to carry just because of the Second Amendment, I would feel exactly as safe as I do now.
    Honestly I did not used to feel this way, not even a few years ago.

But right now today as I sit typing this my gut and un-emotional left brain both concur with your view.
    We already have morons running around with guns on their person well within the letter of the law. And some times but not always as a rule they screw up.
    As well we have very many sane and sensible people who have right in their state to carry without even requiring a permit/license at all and yet they choose to not do so for personal reasons and there is no rampant issue of gun crime and moron maneuvering among those areas (NH, AK, VT etc).

Also as noted by others practically anybody can get a drivers license as long as they are able to draw breath and be of an age greater than 15 minimum.
    Same goes for persons to bear and 'raise' (influence) children.
    Far more challenging and wrought with potential danger than any mechanical device held at hand.

It's taken me some time to get there and as by a winding road of life, learning and un-emotional clarity of view.
    But I now agree with you, 100%.

- Janq

P.S. - Criminals and persons who will act criminally by specific purposeful choice do, have and will always have access to arms regardless of any law by letter or spirit.
    Proof of this dates back to our countries founding fathers and their choice to rise up and defy as well as disobey their then English king.
    Revolutionaries to some, guerrillas to others and rabblerousers in general. They all though as by proclamation of the king and by that then law of the land were criminals by acts and view.
    Which might make one think, and re-think.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    No, I don't.

Then again, to everyone else, I am one of those other people.

So, I guess the only option is to trust. Given the statistics, people are generally trustworthy with firearms.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    "Freedom doesnt mean safe, it means free."

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    I am careful around people with tools.....hammers..... saws......icepicks.......knives........vehicles... ....jackhammers........ohh and GUNS.

I am not a HYPOCRITE
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Do I trust other people driving their cars? Nope. So I just suck it up and drive defensively. The same applies to gun carriers, few of whom I notice. (except if really looking for that)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No, I don't.

Then again, to everyone else, I am one of those other people.

So, I guess the only option is to trust. Given the statistics, people are generally trustworthy with firearms.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

The above sum it up, IMHO.

My way of saying it:

Trust every one? No.

I accept the risk because the alternative are .

There are plenty of post-proof-of-being-too-risky laws (felons can't have [in theory] guns type laws). No need for any more prior-restraint on the 2A, than there is for prior-restraint on 1A, to keep the press from getting it wrong.

OTOH, this thread plays into the hands of the Antis (and they monitor this and other forums) for as OD* said it helps

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Divide and conquer.
    Last edited by DaveH; March 5th, 2010 at 06:01 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I don't trust anybody and everybody. No, I don't. I suspect no one else does without some additional knowledge of their character or mental stability.

Would anyone here trust a habitual wife beater, or child molester? What about a person who had been in and out of various mental type rehabs? What about a person who had a history of criminal activities, and especially violent actions?
    Not me.

I would not trust workmen at my home carrying unless I knew something about them.

But, yes I would and do trust folks to carry at gunshows if they have the proper license.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by phair12 View Post
    this thread is scary how many people want their own rights but want to take them from others because like the gun fearers they dont trust each other.
    Who said that? I didn't say a darn thing about taking anything from anybody, fella.

Anyway, I don't really give a hoot who trusts me. I've earned it from those whom trust me, and vice versa. I am not a "Trust but verify" fella, unless you're talking nukes. :)

OD's right.

Originally posted by SIXTO Then again, to everyone else, I am one of those other people.
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I had some doubts and still do as I expressed those views with the Wyoming debate. It's been pointed out though and I must see the logic in some responses that trust is a earned value in this society and while everyone who earns the right either by permit or law can carry a gun, do I have to trust them no, will I respect their right to carry one, heck yah, I spent 20 years defending their rights to do just that.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

LLT
    I don't trust anyone who has a gun with no training. I also don't trust the mall ninja types and the false sense of security and confidence that I truly believe will one day get themselves or an innocent person killed.

JMO.

I only read the OP and didn't bother reading all the replys. For me, it's very simple.

I don't trust anyone with anything. If someone wants my trust or if I decide to give it, it has to be earned. For me, trust and respect kinda go hand in hand. I don't offer either of them easily. If someone is worth it and proves it so, they'll get it in spades. I've been burned and have seen MANY others burned by trusting someone and getting it shoved right down their throats. In some cases, literally.

No thanks. I treat everyone equally. No one gets a free ride.

Great quote... "Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

It's as simple and as difficult as that really.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links