Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns? - Page 8

Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns?

This is a discussion on Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bro I am a police officer and I dont trust more than a few of my fellow officers with heat in their hands......

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns?

Bro I am a police officer and I dont trust more than a few of my fellow officers with heat in their hands...

IMHO With rights come responsibilities.
    Generally I do not trust people that open carry. I know that will cause a fire storm but you ask for my opinion.

I know it is like what you don't know won't hurt you.

I guess I am weird.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Interesting question. if this was to start tomorrow i would probably be quite on edge at wall-mart while shopping. But then again there are lots of people that drive that i don't trust to drive. interestingly enough i read a report recently that said (i don't remember the specifics of what was used in the test) that a handgun bullet can kill a maxim of 4 people where as a car going, i think it was 45 mph, has the ability to kill over 4,000 people (in a purely mathematical way). Living in our society there is a certain level of trust that is required. we have all come to terms with drunk people and idiots driving. If everyone started carrying all the time after about 50 years i would say that most people would not think to much about it just like most people don't think about other people driving.

Edit: Yes i do drive defensively and look out for the other nuts driving but i have done it all my life so i do it almost without thinking. having everyone carrying would just need to change everyone perception of what is normal and how they should respond to that new normal.

How about voting?

Let's change one word in the question: "guns" to "vote".

Voting is much more powerful than carrying a gun. So, to say you do not trust people to carry guns is almost the same as saying that you do not trust all people who vote.

I do not see in the news that citizens of Alaska or Vermont are having an extrodinary increase in homicides. When Florida went to shall issue CWL, there was an outcry that we would become the wild wild west, that has not happened. Did not happen in DC after Heller either.

The death by gun statistics show overwhelmingly that more legal guns reduces violent crimes and homicides significantly.

In all cases of increased freedoms, there are some nut jobs that may make you think increased freedom is a mistake, but overall more personal freedom is better and safer than complete or even restricted control by big government.

I might agree with required basic training in gun safety prior to purchasing a gun, but not with restrictive and expensive requirements.

There are very few of us who trust everyone, and I trust very few, but I don't think that we have the right to restrict the rights of our citizens.

Capt. Art

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Every day I trust all the other drivers to do the right thing at the right time. I know many don't, and I have been hit by a drunk driver as well. Still I drive.

I do not favor VT style; except in theory. In theory it is great. HOWEVER,

In reality I like the idea of a background check for cc and some sort of Texas style classroom and test. I wish there were a reasonable way to test emotional maturity as well.

I would not feel comfortable knowing that everyone and anyone might be carrying concealed.

OTOH, I know that is happening now, illegally. The police find it on traffic stops all the time. Felon in possession. Teen in possession. That will continue to happen no matter what we do.
    This one is so multi-faceted that all we can do is make our compromises. There will be no perfect answer, ever.
    Hopyard:

Isn't this the real point, criminals never obey the law. Bad guys always find ways to get guns.

If there are going to be illegal guns in the hands of criminals, why are we restricting the rights of the good guys to protect themselves?

Capt. Art

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    I am currently in a situation where everyone HAS to carry a weapon. Do I trust them all? No. Are there ADs? Sometimes (Very few and far between. I havent seen any personally, but we all know they occur). Does that make me uncomfortable? No. My situational awareness around other people who are doing something with thier weapon is always at its highest. I have seen the ridiculousness and carelessness of people and have come to learn the signs of ignorance. If the weapon is holstered on someones side or slung across thier back, then it isnt going to hurt anyone. Now around the clearing barrel is a different story! To answer the question, I would feel just fine if everyone carried, I am responsible for what happens in my immediate surroundings.
    Bkrazy:

Thank you for your service.

We are all well protected because of you and your military associates.

You, sir, make these discussions possible.

Stay safe,

Capt. Art

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    O.K. here is one to think about.......Just say that Defensivecarry Members are having a national meeting so everyone can meet and greet fellow members, say at a convention center here in Georgia.....but wait, no GUNS, Cause we want the public to trust us with guns even though we cant trust ourselves. I would trust all of yall with a gun around me until u prove you cant be trusted....If we want our government to trust us we need to trust each other.

A government that does not trust it's law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust. -- James Madison
    I fully agree, and I like the quote at the bottom of the post.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

The only person I trust is myself, and no I dont trust anyone that carrys a gun cuz ya never know what they are gonna do next. This is why I carry a gun also for protection from those with guns
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I love that movie! My favorite line is: "Put...the bunny....back....in the box."
    Me too, in that cheesy Nic Cage fake southern accent. :)
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

By the looks of this thread, allot of us that see another armed citizen on the street with a gun should automatically become very suspicious and weary of that person.

All I can say to that is wow! I carry a pistol to defend myself and my loved ones from the dregs of our society, not another law abiding CC citizen. Am I aware that someone could have a screwup and possibly hurt another person through their negligence sure, but I'm not gonna cry wolf until I see a wolf. The odds are lower than being attacked by a total stranger I would imagine, so I'm sure as heck not gonna judge some dude, or lady by an invisible standard that in my mind only I can measure up to. IMO, It really shows just how many carry an elitist attitude toward their fellow man. It's kind of an odd approach to our fellow CC brethren IMO. FWIW

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Cool Nothing left to say

Well everyone covered the bases by now on this one, but their is a segment that I truly don't trust to do anything within the boundaries that we call normal behavior.
    Have you ever gone to the range and went to your lane only to see that 3-4 lines down from you is a group of 3-4 guys in their 20's all huddled around one guy holding an AR-15 trying to figure what's wrong & as soon as you walk in they all look up at you with a hugely guilty look on their faces? My "cajones" shrivel up as soon as I see this because I don't believe they have had any type trying. It's like they are playing cops & robbers when they were 7-8 years old. I feel very unsafe until they leave and I'm still standing.
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Trust other people with guns? No.
    If you could trust them we wouldn't need guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I don't trust other people period.........other people with guns!? Take anything good and throw a little humanity at it.....you'll see what I'm saying. I've come to my own terms with things as they are.

Yeah THAT!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

as many times as I've been muzzled at the range?! hell no I dont trust anyone with guns.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Trust is such a vague word.........

OK, first post. I usually just lurk read and enjoy. But this subject has led me to join, a rare thing for me.

I agree about we "trust" other drivers, and look how many die on our roads every day. Far fewer than die by "gun violence". (as if they run about on their own and hurt people. We should support ownership just to keep the little buggers caged. Seems to work for Sweden)
    BUT (you know you were waiting for it) why bother making it "legal"
    It's the flip side of banning guns. Criminals don't care, and law abiding citizens are not a problem. (cool movie though)
    If any of our (I voted for the other guy) Lawmakers actually cared about how many died for any reason, they would be less concerned about the legal gun owners, and more concerned about those who abuse animals. (oh, wait......that would be Sheriff Joe, he'll let child molesters go, but if you beat your dog, you goin' to jail boy!) (unless you are here illegally, then you get free meals and a ride home courtesy of ****** Janet)

Sorry about the first time rant. (dang evil twin, keeps writing crap in)
    That would be you...(no you...) heck....

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links