Defensive Carry banner

Do you trust OTHER people W/ guns?

9K views 147 replies 99 participants last post by  Cold Warrior 
#1 ·
Do you trust other people W/ guns?

Frequently I see threads here about gun shops that restrict carry or gun shows or the NRA convention. It reminds me of a Pastor at a church I used to attend that used to ask “Do you hate sin?” and everyone would raise their hand then he’d ask “Do you hate your sin?’ not quite as enthusiast a response.

Anyway I thought I’d throw this out; In general do you trust other people, people that you don’t know or people that do things that, while legal, you disagree with , with a gun?

How would you feel if the entire country did away W/ permits and just allowed Vermont carry? Would you feel more or less safe?

#100 ·
Originally posted by Jet Doc "Do you trust people that do things you disagree with, with a gun?". Simple answer: NO!! Displaying a weapon publicly when it is not necesary is totally irresponsible and shoud not be tolerated by anyone....
So, even though OC is legal in 43 states you're willing to make the decision as to what's acceptable or how I should carry for me?

I think you just hit the exact attitude I'm trying to describe

#101 ·
We are all living at the mercy of others in a civilized society. If someone decides to harm you with a firearm, there isn’t a whole lot you can do about it. Sure, if you’re armed and have the benefit of notice, you may be able to react in time but aside from that, it’s pretty much a crapshoot.

#141 ·
Hate to break it to you, but you completely trust others with their cars unless you only drive on your own lane (maybe thats all you do). If you drive on a 2 lane road you completely trust that the oncoming car is going to stay in his lane unless you pull over everytime a car passes.
We trust the members in our society much more than we think we do, as proven by our actions. If you are a hermit that never leaves their house, then I'll believe that you trust no one. The rest of you have ALOT of trust in your fellow citizens.

#104 ·
As a quick tangent.
why does it matter if we trust these other people? Unless you have an intent and wish to make it harder to carry then we must simply live with the fact that strangers around us are/might be armed. There is really nothing you can do to control law abiding citizens decisions to carry. EXCEPT: support more laws, regulations, and candidates that will make it more difficult to carry. if this is your belief then I would say that the question is relevant to you.

#105 ·
Bingo!

Hence, the reaction of many of us, IMHO.

It was not so much the actual question I was reacting to, as it was the implications the Antis could draw from it.

Not quite, "Have you quite beating your wife, yet?" But, close, IMHO. :twak:

#107 ·
IMHO With rights come responsibilities.
Generally I do not trust people that open carry. I know that will cause a fire storm but you ask for my opinion.

I know it is like what you don't know won't hurt you.

I guess I am weird.

#108 ·
Interesting question. if this was to start tomorrow i would probably be quite on edge at wall-mart while shopping. But then again there are lots of people that drive that i don't trust to drive. interestingly enough i read a report recently that said (i don't remember the specifics of what was used in the test) that a handgun bullet can kill a maxim of 4 people where as a car going, i think it was 45 mph, has the ability to kill over 4,000 people (in a purely mathematical way). Living in our society there is a certain level of trust that is required. we have all come to terms with drunk people and idiots driving. If everyone started carrying all the time after about 50 years i would say that most people would not think to much about it just like most people don't think about other people driving.

Edit: Yes i do drive defensively and look out for the other nuts driving but i have done it all my life so i do it almost without thinking. having everyone carrying would just need to change everyone perception of what is normal and how they should respond to that new normal.

#109 ·
How about voting?

Let's change one word in the question: "guns" to "vote".

Voting is much more powerful than carrying a gun. So, to say you do not trust people to carry guns is almost the same as saying that you do not trust all people who vote.

I do not see in the news that citizens of Alaska or Vermont are having an extrodinary increase in homicides. When Florida went to shall issue CWL, there was an outcry that we would become the wild wild west, that has not happened. Did not happen in DC after Heller either.

The death by gun statistics show overwhelmingly that more legal guns reduces violent crimes and homicides significantly.

In all cases of increased freedoms, there are some nut jobs that may make you think increased freedom is a mistake, but overall more personal freedom is better and safer than complete or even restricted control by big government.

I might agree with required basic training in gun safety prior to purchasing a gun, but not with restrictive and expensive requirements.

There are very few of us who trust everyone, and I trust very few, but I don't think that we have the right to restrict the rights of our citizens.

Capt. Art

#113 ·
The only person I trust is myself, and no I dont trust anyone that carrys a gun cuz ya never know what they are gonna do next. This is why I carry a gun also for protection from those with guns :king:

#115 ·
By the looks of this thread, allot of us that see another armed citizen on the street with a gun should automatically become very suspicious and weary of that person.:rofl:

All I can say to that is wow! I carry a pistol to defend myself and my loved ones from the dregs of our society, not another law abiding CC citizen. Am I aware that someone could have a screwup and possibly hurt another person through their negligence sure, but I'm not gonna cry wolf until I see a wolf.:blink: The odds are lower than being attacked by a total stranger I would imagine, so I'm sure as heck not gonna judge some dude, or lady by an invisible standard that in my mind only I can measure up to. IMO, It really shows just how many carry an elitist attitude toward their fellow man. It's kind of an odd approach to our fellow CC brethren IMO. FWIW

GBK

#116 ·
Nothing left to say

Well everyone covered the bases by now on this one, but their is a segment that I truly don't trust to do anything within the boundaries that we call normal behavior.
Have you ever gone to the range and went to your lane only to see that 3-4 lines down from you is a group of 3-4 guys in their 20's all huddled around one guy holding an AR-15 trying to figure what's wrong & as soon as you walk in they all look up at you with a hugely guilty look on their faces? My "cajones" shrivel up as soon as I see this because I don't believe they have had any type trying. It's like they are playing cops & robbers when they were 7-8 years old. I feel very unsafe until they leave and I'm still standing.

#119 ·
as many times as I've been muzzled at the range?! hell no I dont trust anyone with guns.

#120 ·
Trust is such a vague word.........

OK, first post. I usually just lurk read and enjoy. But this subject has led me to join, a rare thing for me.

I agree about we "trust" other drivers, and look how many die on our roads every day. Far fewer than die by "gun violence". (as if they run about on their own and hurt people. We should support ownership just to keep the little buggers caged. :spankme: Seems to work for Sweden)
BUT :)hand5:you know you were waiting for it) why bother making it "legal"
It's the flip side of banning guns. Criminals don't care, and law abiding citizens are not a problem. (cool movie though:wink:)
If any of our (I voted for the other guy) Lawmakers actually cared about how many died for any reason, they would be less concerned about the legal gun owners, and more concerned about those who abuse animals. (oh, wait......that would be Sheriff Joe, he'll let child molesters go, but if you beat your dog, you goin' to jail boy!) (unless you are here illegally, then you get free meals and a ride home courtesy of ****** Janet)

Sorry about the first time rant. (dang evil twin, keeps writing crap in)
That would be you...(no you...) heck....

#121 ·
I would like to return to the way things were in the 1700's. Everyone had a gun and knew how to use it, and taught their children. Unless that happens, I wouldn't feel comfortable with removing the permit system. I know that's an unpopular stance amongst gun owners, but I think it's a good thing that you have to prove that you could shoot what your aiming at in a stressful situation before you can can carry around a weapon.

And, AFAIK, Vermont and Alaska are pretty much like the 1700's. People still live off the land in those states and the majority of people grew up around firearms.

#122 ·
Actually, it was till we had enough lawyers (the evil fertilizer that grows excess laws like weeds, and YES the crap reference is intentional) that people started "regulating" guns.

Someone once said first you kill all the lawyers.............

(dang evil twin again!!!!)

I have nothing but love for lawyers! Honest! (like Will Smith said to the aliens, "nothing but love") but we would have many fewer problems if we had fewer lawyers/politicians/etc claiming top do the "will of the people.(Except for Nancy Pilosi and her friends, who don't even pretend anymore..or that guy in the white house<or is it black house now?> who feels safer now with him in orifice?)

holy crap! a third voice?

#123 ·
I think we are so caught up in CC that we forget that a lot of states do not require permits to OC. So you can carry a gun without a permit in most parts of the country. In NC you have to get a purchase permit to buy a handgun, but do not need a permit to OC just for CC. Something to think about.

#126 ·
Good question, tough answer.
My initial answer is No, I do not trust people with guns. I also do not trust people without guns. Not paranoid, trust is earned but as with other drivers and people in general you have to believe that most people are good.

I am all for the freedom to own and carry. However, you should have to have a permit to carry. A permit that confirms that you have had firearms training. If the Supreme Court determines that nearly anyone in every state can carry without training, I have a problem. In 19 years of service I have seen plenty of jacka$$e$ that are trained and still should not be able to carry. Now imagine every 18-year old "invincible" punk decides he is going to carry or the guy that cannot drive a half-mile from his home without getting into a road rage incident.

All (most) should have the opportunity to own and carry, but like driving a vehicle, you should be tested and permmited.

#127 ·
It's pretty amazing how many people think...either in principle or practice...that very few other people are capable of safely/responsibly carrying firearms.

And Treo, I tried to answer your refinement of the original post...at the top of page 5. Did it address the question?

#128 ·
It's pretty amazing how many people think...either in principle or practice...that very few other people are capable of safely/responsibly carrying firearms.
And think that 2A is contingent -- and/or that Freedom means safe.

:duh:

#129 ·
To me it's similar to driving automobiles. Most people are reasonable drivers with differing levels of skill. There are however a small percentage of people so unaware, dense and dangerous behind the wheel that perhaps they should be beaten simply for looking at a car. :yup:

#136 ·
+ 1 :congrats:

The voice of a common person offsetting the elitist.

I wonder where this thread would have got had the "W/ guns" had been left off and it was simply "Do you trust OTHER people?". And if so asked, what inferences would have been drawn?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.