My Companies annual employee meeting.

This is a discussion on My Companies annual employee meeting. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My company had it's annual meeting yesterday, and we went over the usual stuff. Here is the oddly humorous yet disturbing/annoying part. At 7:30 am, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Companies annual employee meeting.

My Companies annual employee meeting.

My company had it's annual meeting yesterday, and we went over the usual stuff.

Here is the oddly humorous yet disturbing/annoying part.

At 7:30 am, we were informed that there was an incident at one of our job sites where a driver, who was irritated with the slow traffic on the highway and a closed exit ramp, opted to drive by the flagger through the coned off section to use the closed exit ramp.

Evidently the driver narrowly missed the flagger and got a traffic/criminal ticket along the lines of reckless endangerment.

We were informed that this driver is extremely upset about the whole incident and has made threats of retaliation against the company, ergo we were told to be cautious and extremely aware of anybody odd at this particular job site.

At 8:00 our safety manager gets up to make her speech about safety and workplace violence and our "No Weapons" policy. As usual, no guns, no knives (caveat - the smaller pocket knives are a tool unless the person with the knife has intent to cause harm ).

So, here we sit. Informed that there is some random guy who blames us for his stupidity, has made threats against us, and followed up with the policy that we are not allowed to have any weapons of any kind.

I am a mechanic. I carry nothing but tools, some of which are specialty tools that are intended for very specific uses (19mm fuel line socket, form bent wrench for 1 air compressor mounting bolt, sidearm ), and Personal Protective Equipment - PPE (gloves, steel toe boots, safety glasses, brain bucket, sidearm...).

After that meeting, more than ever I have my personal justification for carrying at work and risking loss of my employment for violating company policy vs. my ability to defend myself while at work.

More often than not, I am working alone in an isolated area, and at this particular job site, at night. Let me think...Lower risk of being terminated...Ability to defend my self against threats against me...Hmmmm
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

I guess I never really understood the whole "no guns at work policy" thing. The only people that prevents from bringing guns into my office is law abiding CCL folks like me. Robbers, terrorists, disgruntled nutbags, etc, would have no second thoughts about bringing guns.

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    I guess I never really understood the whole "no guns at work policy" thing. The only people that prevents from bringing guns into my office is law abiding CCL folks like me. Robbers, terrorists, disgruntled nutbags, etc, would have no second thoughts about bringing guns.
    I agree 100%. Employers are given too much latitude to rule our lives as people rather than employees. Getting to be even moreso when we are not at work too. JMO.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sounds to me like you run the risk of being 'terminated' at work either way...I'd rather pick my own venue.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    As a safety manager I refuse to "train" people on no weapons policies. That's an HR decision/function that runs counter to my thoughts on safety.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Too bad you or someone else didn't use the opportunity to ask the "safety manager" about being "safe". Only 30 minutes before you were told of the threat. Being cautious and aware may not be enough it the nutjob decides to actually carry out his threat.

I would ask your company the following and see what they state or willput in writing.

In Kansas, there is a state Senator that has introduced a bill stating that if a company does not allow CCH/CCW permit holders to have guns on the property, then they need to have security, a place for the guns to be locked up and what is there policy if a "perp" brings a gun to their place of business!!!

Ask the following:

1) If a licensed CCH/CCW permit holder can not bring a gun to work, how will work protect me?

2) Your "safety officer" already stated that a "person of interest" has come to their attention.. so what additonal steps will be taken?

3) If a problem arises, are they aware that they will now be responsible and made "legal permit holders" defenseless... so they must be accepting even more responsibility?

4) By banning weapons, they are ensuring a safe environment, but what are they doing to ensure that "crazy people" don't bring them to work? Just having a "no guns policy" does NOT prevent them from being liable!! If they want to put up metal detectors, then great... you'll feel more secure while at work so it is fair to legal gun/permit holders and non-permit holders.

Good luck... but most people and companies are just ignorant until things are pointed out to them and you start asking legal questions and asking for it in writing in case your family needs to file a "wrongful death" claim against the company (they have deep pockets, the "perp" doesn't). If I was on the jury, I know how I would rule!!
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

I think I'd be carrying a 30" Breaker Bar for a 3/4" socket set. :) Other than that, I tink I agree with you. :)

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the rules may also be insurance related...many of the rules regarding safety involve discounts and incentives from insurance companies...that doesnt make em right...but it is in the insurance companies best interest...

the thought that surrounds a "no weapons" policy is that if an employee is allowed to carry and for some reason becomes disgruntled and irrational they then have an immediate violent possibility...as opposed to an employee who might have to go home or to their vehicle to retrieve a firearm allowing them a "cool down" period where they might second guess their intent...

dont reply with "license holders are a step above that" because anything is possible...i'm not justifying it...i'm informing...

the unfortunate result of such rules is that in the event a disgruntled employee or customer or just plain freak happens to choose that particular business to perform a mass shooting there wont be any means to protect the employees...

I would be carrying my .40 caliber high impact ''rounded nut'' remover. Sometimes WD40 just doesn't do the trick if ya no what I'm saying...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    What we really need here is a law that states that companies that allow employee carry are immune from liability arising from that carry.

The inverse, adding increased liability for companies which disallow carry, seems too punitive and unlikely to gain enough popular support to actually become law.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    [QUOTE=GWRedDragon;1527093]What we really need here is a law that states that companies that allow employee carry are immune from liability arising from that carry.] Quote

That is not going to happen, and I am not sure that it should. A company should be liable if prudent rules are not followed.
    I might go along with it if the company verifies that the employee has sufficient training. Too many instructors just make sure they teach and test enough to get by so that students can obtain licenses. Sometimes there is no check on the instructors.

Regards,
    Jerry

I would like to see a the law changed so that insurance providers can not give discount or pretty much require that businesses in general post no gun polices or signs.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    That is not going to happen, and I am not sure that it should. A company should be liable if prudent rules are not followed.
    I might go along with it if the company verifies that the employee has sufficient training. Too many instructors just make sure they teach and test enough to get by so that students can obtain licenses. Sometimes there is no check on the instructors.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Okay, but my impression is that a lot of companies prohibit carry because they think that if they say nothing about it at all, they are liable for the actions of their employees. If they are not involved in it at all, they should not be liable.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Work carry

1st things 1st: conceal the gun. Do not even tell co-workers you "know" that you are carrying. You are violating a company rule, and should not advertise it. If you use it to save your life, you can get another job.
    I have been on both sides of the no guns rule in a couple of companies as a EH&S person. The companies were attempting to ban guns in autos in their parking lots, but Florida passed a law forbiding the employers ban this. Since I was in charge of the fire/security systems and had to respond at night, I had a gun on me when responding. My boss and I both were armed one night at 11 PM when we resonded. His only comment to me was "nice gun".
    Many companies are aware of the liability of allowing guns in teh workplace, especially if an employee goes postal. So. to apease their attorney and insurance company they rule no guns.
    However, in case of a concealed weapon, they could always plead they did not know, and it was against the rules...
    When I move to Fl from NY state, I asked if I could have a gun in the company car. My employer said "Why? I already gave a .38 in the glove box." 'nuff said?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links