MD & CS Spray

This is a discussion on MD & CS Spray within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend is soon to take a trip to MD. He knows a gun is a no no, but asked me about Pepper Spray. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MD & CS Spray

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar

MD & CS Spray

A friend is soon to take a trip to MD. He knows a gun is a no no, but asked me about Pepper Spray.
    I did not find whether it is legal in the Handgun Laws for Md, but suspect it is not legal.

I am sure someone here from Maryland knows.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Pepper Spray is legal in MD. Never carry a huge canister and treat it like a firearm. Keep it out of sight but in easy reach.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Cool

CS/pepper spray is legal in all fifty states with some restrictions. Google it.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    CS/pepper spray is legal in all fifty states with some restrictions. Google it.
    I remember reading that in DC, pepper spray cans must be registered with the police?

I guess that qualifies as 'legal', but I'm sure there are other places as well with huge annoyances connected to carrying it.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    There are places that have restrictions. IN DC it has to be registered. In other places they restrict the size of container and in others how strong it can be. There are no restrictions in MD Law.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Cool

Here is a list of states and restrictions, if any.

Pepper Spray State Laws and Restrictions

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    Here is a list of states and restrictions, if any.

Pepper Spray State Laws and Restrictions
    Neat, thanks.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    I thought CS and pepper spray were different. E.g., "SABRE combines both an irritant (CS Military Tear Gas) and an inflammatory (Oleoresin Capsicum/Red Pepper)"

I think there are more restrictions on CS than on Pepper spray. You need to check the MD law carefully and the law of the states you travel through.

Thanks for the help. I admit some surprise that it is legal is some of the liberal states, incl CA.
    I appreciate the help.

Regards,
    Jerry

Cool

Sabre also includes an UV die for later identification.

I have heard that Wasp Spray is just as effective and has a range of about 30 feet. Would be nice to have in the car, but unwieldly for carrying on your person.

VIP Member

Wasp spray

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    I have heard that Wasp Spray is just as effective and has a range of about 30 feet. Would be nice to have in the car, but unwieldly for carrying on your person.
    Can't speak to its effectiveness but I doubt I've ever gotten more than about 12-15 feet out of wasp spray I've used. Its been ok for clearing the eves of the house. That's about the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Can't speak to its effectiveness but I doubt I've ever gotten more than about 12-15 feet out of wasp spray I've used. Its been ok for clearing the eves of the house. That's about the distance.
    I would doubt than any such home spray of any type has a range of 30 feet. Even if it did a breeze would cause a miss probably.

I am not sure if wasp spray would blind one or not. If so there might be some legal ramifications if one used it at 30 feet.
    In the past some have recommended oven cleaner, but it would blind one, and not to be used unless no other choice.

You might care what it does, but does the law? I guess it might be better than a gun legally.?

Regards,
    Jerry

VIP Member

re: Jerry M for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I would doubt than any such home spray of any type has a range of 30 feet. Even if it did a breeze would cause a miss probably.

I am not sure if wasp spray would blind one or not. If so there might be some legal ramifications if one used it at 30 feet.
    In the past some have recommended oven cleaner, but it would blind one, and not to be used unless no other choice.

You might care what it does, but does the law? I guess it might be better than a gun legally.?

Regards,
    Jerry
    Just in case there was a misunderstanding, I was commenting only on the range. I doubted the claim of 30 foot as that doesn't square with my experience.

I made no remark on efficacy, legality, reasonableness, of wasp spray and don't advocate its use except as a last resort in an anything goes H2H situation--- then, maybe I'd whack 'em with the can.

Well, I know that I "shot" a hornets nest from 20 feet! Was a brand new can that I had to buy for that purpose. Good strong stream! Quieted them down immediately. The article I read said that it would send the BG scurring for the nearest hospital.

Dang, I hate wasps.
    Last edited by Zsnake; March 7th, 2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links