Concealed Carry Pros (got a question for ya)

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Pros (got a question for ya) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried 5"-barreled 1911 pistols concealed, all day long, and I am not a big guy, at 6' tall, and wore 31" (waist) jeans ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concealed Carry Pros (got a question for ya)

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have carried 5"-barreled 1911 pistols concealed, all day long, and I am not a big guy, at 6' tall, and wore 31" (waist) jeans at the time I toted 1911s. I have worn shorter pistols IWB, which were LESS comfortable, as they poked me at a certain spot that the longer 1911 bridges over, lying flat against me. As an example, I really don't like carrying a P229 IWB, usually using OWB rigs. (I am wearing pants sized 32" in the waist nowadays.) Same was true of Officer's ACP-sized 1911 pistols back when I owned the little things. Even further back in time, I found a 4" N-frame sixgun more comfortable IWB than a 2.5" N-frame snubby.

So, length is not a bad thing, at least the way I am built.

Moreover, a lesson I learned back in the days before reinforced-mouth IWB rigs is that shorter weapons can pop right out from under your belt during strenuous physical activity, while a longer weapon will stay put.

2. Remove Ads

Barrel length is not really relevant for conceal. You want to focus on grip length and over all thickness. I carry a XD.45 compact with a 10 round mag and a 13 round spare
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

IWB

First I am answering your question with a question. and this is something you should answer to yourself, not us: How tall are you and what's your build? You have to choose what you carry and what holster its in to your physique.
    The key is where the holster holds the gun in relation to your belt. On some, the grip is high and some, the grip is right at the belt. Its what is comfortable for YOU.
    A long while back, when I started carrying, I was 22 yrs old, 5.7, 130#. I carried a smith 36 in a IWB holster. It was at 3:30 O'clock.
    The cylinder was even with my belt so it did not print. However, it always put pressure on my side, and was slightly uncomfortable. Then I acquired a PPK, same holster and method of carry. Much more comfortable. My physique would not let me deep conceal anything larger. The holster was selected at a gun store who let me "try them on" before purchase. Out of 6 styles, I chose I because of comfort.
    Now, about 45# heavier, I still carry a small gun (Colt Mustang). For me the thickness of the gun was more problematic than the barrel length.
    So, try on different holsters, at 3 to 4 o'clock. Bring the gun with you, and show clear to the staff before doing anything else. (Once they see you are safety oriented, they will help you)

It used to be a shop wanted you to be happy with your purchase. Maybe this business procedure could make a comeback....

sgb
    Government Model 1911
    Browning Hi Power
    Sig P226
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I appendix carry a Glock 27. I spend a lot of time in my office, sitting at my desk, and this is the ideal gun for this carry method. Obviously, I can carry a larger gun if I relocate the holster past my hip bone, around 4:00 or 5:00.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Much excellent information already given. Myself I'm 5'11" 185 lb.s, built pretty much straight up and down and can carry a 4" 1911 at 4 o'clock with no problem IWB with a cover shirt or whatever. As stated already, within reason barrel length don't matter, it's the grip and overall width that comes into play. Also forward cant can better conceal the grip. With me weight of the gun also matters. My 2C..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I have IWB carried a P229 (4.25" barrel), a commander 1911, and a officer (Kimber 3" ) 1911. All three work fine, but it's the width that matters the most. Another inch longer doesn't seem to matter. The Kimber is extremely accurate and easy to handle for a 3" 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    With an IWB holster, the length of the pistol really isn't the limiting factor (within reason). It's more the length of the grip.
    Yes. This is my experience as well.

The Browning BDM 9mm semi-auto is one I carried for some years, IWB and OWB. While nearly as long as a full-sized 1911 Government pistol, it's fairly thin profile rides flat against the body in a well-made holster. The length of the grip is sufficient for a mid-sized hand to use all the fingers, but not much larger. The grip is about what a Commander sized frame has. Long as it is, I find it comparatively easy to conceal IWB as a result.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

it depends so much on ur exact body style and where the gun is on you.
    for me thickness and grip length are most important, but i wouldnt be able to carry more than 4" with my current setup.
    The gun I carry is a 3" barrel.
    I think with pretty much any IWB setup 3-4" is the way to go. the XD3.8 I think is a wonderful option.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I carry a 9mm Beretta 92FS. Both IWB and Open Carry. For IWB I use Comp-Tac Minotaur (Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster) .

It is so comfortable that I really do forget it is there and it is not a small gun.
    Protecting my family, until the U.N. takes that right away from us

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links