Concealed Carry Pros (got a question for ya)

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Pros (got a question for ya) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So everyone has their opinion on the BRAND of gun they carry concealed. Fine and well. We all have our preferences for our own reasons. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Pros (got a question for ya)

Exclamation Concealed Carry Pros (got a question for ya)

So everyone has their opinion on the BRAND of gun they carry concealed. Fine and well. We all have our preferences for our own reasons.

MY QUESTION TO ALL YOU IWB CCW PROS (that has been carrying for a long time) is what is the LENGTH of your gun that you choose to conceal carry IWB.

The reason I ask, is I am contemplating either KEEPING my current gun to use as a CCW (S&W 9mm Sigma SW9F circa:1994 its overall length is 7" 1/2" inches) or get a smaller one (in length that is, I dont care about the grip size) such as the new Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm.

Im not worried about the gripsize, but I do wonder about the overall gun LENGTH. I am strictly and only interested in MY gun choices so please dont "SUGGEST" any gun brands, I just want to know about what length of 9mm guns you guys have been carrying IWB concealed for all these years.

I need to make a decision to either GET a shorter length gun or just use the one I have. I have been carrying OWB (concealed) and have NOT carried IWB due to the fact that I have NOT ordered my IWB holster yet.... why you say, because I am deliberating on getting a new shorter length gun or not.

Based on what LENGTH of 9mm guns you guys are carrying should help me decide and make a final decision here.

Thanks for that help, and I value your opinion.

Current: 7 1/2" overall length (Sigma SW9F 9mm)
    Future: Not sure overall length (Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 9mm)
    " If you keep aiming for NOTHING, you will hit it every time! "

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JKPinPDX View Post
    So everyone has their opinion on the BRAND of gun they carry concealed. Fine and well. We all have our preferences for our own reasons.

MY QUESTION TO ALL YOU IWB CCW PROS (that has been carrying for a long time) is what is the LENGTH of your gun that you choose to conceal carry IWB.

The reason I ask, is I am contemplating either KEEPING my current gun to use as a CCW (S&W 9mm Sigma SW9F circa:1994 its overall length is 7" 1/2" inches) or get a smaller one (in length that is, I dont care about the grip size) such as the new Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm.

Im not worried about the gripsize, but I do wonder about the overall gun LENGTH. I am strictly and only interested in MY gun choices so please dont "SUGGEST" any gun brands, I just want to know about what length of 9mm guns you guys have been carrying IWB concealed for all these years.

I need to make a decision to either GET a shorter length gun or just use the one I have. I have been carrying OWB (concealed) and have NOT carried IWB due to the fact that I have NOT ordered my IWB holster yet.... why you say, because I am deliberating on getting a new shorter length gun or not.

Based on what LENGTH of 9mm guns you guys are carrying should help me decide and make a final decision here.

Thanks for that help, and I value your opinion.

Current: 7 1/2" overall length (Sigma SW9F 9mm)
    Future: Not sure overall length (Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 9mm)
    With an IWB holster, the length of the pistol really isn't the limiting factor (within reason). It's more the length of the grip.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I am able to conceal my Sigma 40VE with no issue, 4 O'clock, using a CrossBreed SuperTuck.

If you go to an XDm from your current Sigma, you should have no problem since it is thinner.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Limatunes has a video on youtube about holsters.
    She concealed a full size 1911 on her small frame and with fitting pants.

I have a Smith and Wesson 5943 it has a 4" barrel and it is fine.

Length doesn't matter as much for concealment as grip size does. Thats where you get your printing issues.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

#3- it's the grip and thickness.

Short grip is harder to hold in big hands but conceals better. Thin grip conceals better but holds less ammo. The barrel runs down the hip/leg so it does not print. The grip may stick out of the shirt. I carry a G19 OWB beltslide and IWB Crossbreed Supertuck. I can carry it IWB with a dress shirt and get away with it. Ultimately where does your comfort level lie in sacrificing comfort, grip, capacity, or concealment? The barrel length is more of a weight issue than a concealment issue. IMO.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I carry a full size 1911, and a full size CZ75 before that. Unless I carry it forward of 3 o'clock I never have a problem with the long barrel.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I am anything but a pro, but...

I have carried my G26 for awhile now IWB. Based on my meager experience, I would surmise that G26 length, G19 length, whatever, is rather irrelevant.

Personally I think that the biggest factor in CC is not the gun, but your personal body shape.

While I have been CCing, my body shape has changed and during that time what is comfortable and what is concealable has also changed radically. In general I would say, the more curved you are, the more gun length matters. Either way though, grip length, holster style, and holster position seem much more important to me.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

IMHO, in my 30 plus years of packing, it's not the length of the gun, but the width and weight for IWB carry. Grip length also comes into play. Of the many guns I own, my Kahr CW9 is usually with me.

I have carried a Sigma 9ve in a Don Hume IWB H-715 holster extensively. It is very comfortable and easily concealed with an over size t-shirt. I have also carried a Kahr CW9 in a Don Hume H-715. So what is the difference? When I carry the Sigma I know it is there. When I carry the Kahr it seems to disappear. It's much lighter, thinner and shorter than the Sigma. It makes a big difference.

For some context I will add that my normal EDC is either a Smith Wesson 4046 or a S&W 5906. These are both all stainless steel guns with double stack mags. They may be slightly larger than the Sigma but they are without question much heavier. The additional weight makes a big difference. Carrying the Sigma is much easier. I put up with it because I like steel.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Don't worry about the length of the barrel, it doesn't matter. The grip will matter, and the further forward you cant the pistol the easier the grip is to conceal.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, I will answer the question as posed. My 9mm daily carry is 6.29" long

Barrel length was important to me simply because of where I wear my IWB (5:00). If the barrel is longer, like my Glock 19, I have a hard time getting my wallet out of my pocket. I always wear my wallet in my back right pocket. I'm not switching the position.

pax
    I've appendix-carried a Glock 26 for years -- 3 1/2 in. barrel & a 6 1/3 in. overall -- and don't believe I'd be able to comfortably conceal an identical gun with a longer barrel.

YMMV, of course. It seems to me, from observation, that barrel length is often more of a factor for women (avoiding that hip curve) and for people carrying appendix position (avoiding the leg bend).

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have a sigma in 9mm and it worked just fine until I saved up my pennies for
    a better pistol.The sigma worked fine but I just wanted a better handgun.Good luck with your sigma as I put many rounds through mine with no problems.

I like my XD40SC personally because of the barrel length while riding my motorcycle. Otherwise I don't think the barrel length matters much. My wife is 4'10" and 94 lbs and has conceal carried my 1911 because I ripped my shirt climbing a tree, and she was fine with it (she likes her little guns better Kel-Tec PF9) but that is more about her hand size than the carry issues. I say carry what is most comfortable to shoot and the rest can be worked out.
    Second Amendment to the United States Constitution:
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    Many died for it. I live by it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links