Too fat to carry concealed?

This is a discussion on Too fat to carry concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CplVargas More PT, Drill Sergeant! More PT! Cheap shot. Not cool....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Too fat to carry concealed?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by CplVargas View Post
    More PT, Drill Sergeant! More PT!
    Cheap shot. Not cool.

2. Remove Ads

Figure out where you want your gun to be at. Figure out what you need to do to make it happen.

If you can smuggle a box of chicken into "Fat Kamp", you can conceal any gun you want to.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

6' & 290. have no problem with either my 4" GP100 or my 3" 629 using a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake although I normally carry a 1911 in a SR Cuda.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    6'4" & 388 (down from 420ish- yay!): IWB 3:00 in a homemade tuckable. With a bobbed SP101 (5 shot 357 revolver), I found appendix carry in a homemade smartcarry quite comfortable (WARNING - TMI: the 'roll' was my retention device).
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Cheap shot. Not cool.
    How is that a cheap shot? He said he is "orca size". He's the one joking about it.

My friend is fat and carries OWB about 8:30
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What about smart carry for people that wear their pants below their gut???? anyone doing that?
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Takes three hands...one to lift the gut, another to hold open the pants, and a third to draw.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I OWB carry all the time. I just don't like IWB, not because I'm fat, it because I'm left handed and my mags keep dropping on me :(
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I am not tiny, but my major problem has been my arthritis. I usually carry in my purse, but am not really comfortable with that alone. During Christmas shopping I carried my hubby's Ruger LCP because I can carry it in my pocket and it is not as heavy as the Ruger 5 shot revolver I carry in my purse. I loved it. Easy access and not a weight problem. Hubby got one for me for Valentine's Day. Two tone black and raspberry. That man really knows how to buy gifts for me. Save the flowers, candy and bling.....THIS was a really considerate gift. Now when I go to a questionable area...I will still have my purse revolver, BUT I have the raspberry in my pocket.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    On the other side of the coin, I'm 6"1' and 150 pounds, and I have always had trouble concealing a firearm due to my "thinness": Almost anything I carry, in almost any type of holster, seems to stick-out from my thin frame. So, it's interesting that even heavy framed people have different, but equally problematic, issues with concealability of a handgun...

-Bill
    Pahleeeeze!
    I don't want to hear it from skinny folks! You can wear loose clothes and hide a 120mm cannon underneath. Try to even find loose or baggy clothes for 300+ Lbs. A baggy sweatsuit is not the answer in S. FL.

To the OP:
    310/ 5' 10" I carry a Glock 30 IWB at 3:30 - 4:00 with a patterned, untucked shirt over it to break up any outline. Solid-colored shirts will show the outline of the gun more. Not a problem unless bending over. Then, to most, it might as well be a cell on a belt holder.

I suggest something in the G27/27 size range as a carry firearm, or smaller. Pocket carry (LCR, etc.) is another option.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    My father is husky >300#. He pocket carries an LCP. He is also former military and a brown belt (stopped cause of military). He may be large and old but he can still kick BG butt.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Pocket carry is the fat mans friend.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    ...The important thing is to wear shirts that aren't tight, which us fatties should do anyways because nobody wants to see the outline of our moobs......well almost everyone. My woman is a pervert, bless her....
    Does she have a sister?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I'm 5'11", 350 lbs and dropping.

The Crossbreed Supertuck is by far the best holster for me as a fat guy. When you get to be a certain weight, your "geometry" is different when seated versus when you are standing. The Supertuck has helped me negotiate that transistion very well.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links