Too fat to carry concealed?

This is a discussion on Too fat to carry concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet Pahleeeeze! I don't want to hear it from skinny folks! You can wear loose clothes and hide a 120mm cannon underneath. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Too fat to carry concealed?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Pahleeeeze!
    I don't want to hear it from skinny folks! You can wear loose clothes and hide a 120mm cannon underneath. Try to even find loose or baggy clothes for 300+ Lbs. A baggy sweatsuit is not the answer in S. FL.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    6'4" & 388 (down from 420ish- yay!): IWB 3:00 in a homemade tuckable. With a bobbed SP101 (5 shot 357 revolver), I found appendix carry in a homemade smartcarry quite comfortable (WARNING - TMI: the 'roll' was my retention device).
    Found the link: see http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...martcarry.html for construction details and photos.

I wore this in the appendix position, cinched up under the roll, while my regular belt was at roughly waist position at the largest part of my girth. This allowed me to put my hand inside my waistband about where one's watch pocket is and obtain a grip on the revolver with hand pretty much completely inside the waistband. Sure, it might look odd if I ever needed to draw, but I figure that would be the least of my worries at that point.

Since the SP101 has no spur on its trigger and is nicely rounded, a draw was smooth and fairly quick. Note: do *not* try this with a full-size pistol with a hammer and beaver tail. The pokey-bits on the back are really painful on one's roll. The bobbed snubby, however was quite comfortable.

This doesn't address the 'for those who wear their pants under their gut' question, of course, but may be helpful for others.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I'm a big guy. 44 inch waist, 285 and I can carry without an ounce of difficulty. My modes of carry are IWB (not my favorite but I can do it.) OWB and pocket.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Proprotionally I am probably as chunky as most of the posters here.
    5'-7" and 240 lbs. I wear an IWB Split Decision from High Noon Holsters with a snub nose 38. I tend to wear my pant waist lower than the roll of my belly. The roll gives the pistol something to press into. I wear it at about 4:00 and it conceals with even just a normal fit polo. If I want I can even tuck in the a tee shirt over the grip and it conceals unless I bend or twist away from the gun. Tuck in a dress shirt with a little material pulled up out of the waist band and "bloused" and the gun is invisible. Remember NO ONE is looking for your gun in the first place.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    6'2" 350 Lbs.

In addition to what's already mentioned, I like to carry OWB with a Hawaiian shirt on top.

Also:

Welcome to the Perry Suspenders eStore
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    To me, concealed carry is all about managing risk. If I come across a situation where I am the victim of a violent assault, it gives me an additional way of dealing with it. Ultimately, the goal is to go home safe and healthy at the end of the day.

To that end, there are risks everywhere. Seat belts, home insurance, conservative investments, no smoking, no drinking, exercise, and diet are all ways of helping minimize them.

It is wise to look at one's whole life and adjust accordingly.

Best of luck.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

What about one of the tacti-murses like Maxpedition makes?
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Read an article last year of a guy who smuggled a handgun into jail. He hid it somewhere between the rolls. He even passed a strip search.
    Not trying to be rude - thats just the first thing I thought of when I read the title of the post.
    I'm sure there is a way to conceal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I am not tiny, but my major problem has been my arthritis. I usually carry in my purse, but am not really comfortable with that alone. During Christmas shopping I carried my hubby's Ruger LCP because I can carry it in my pocket and it is not as heavy as the Ruger 5 shot revolver I carry in my purse. I loved it. Easy access and not a weight problem. Hubby got one for me for Valentine's Day. Two tone black and raspberry. That man really knows how to buy gifts for me. Save the flowers, candy and bling.....THIS was a really considerate gift. Now when I go to a questionable area...I will still have my purse revolver, BUT I have the raspberry in my pocket.
    Spirit51:

And I always thought that a rasberry was a large bruised scrape that I got from sliding in a baseball game.

I like yours better!

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    To me, concealed carry is all about managing risk. If I come across a situation where I am the victim of a violent assault, it gives me an additional way of dealing with it. Ultimately, the goal is to go home safe and healthy at the end of the day.

To that end, there are risks everywhere. Seat belts, home insurance, conservative investments, no smoking, no drinking, exercise, and diet are all ways of helping minimize them.

It is wise to look at one's whole life and adjust accordingly.

Best of luck.
    I agree. A heart attack and cancer are much more likely than being the victim of a violent crime.

Quote Originally Posted by twocan View Post
    Spirit51:

And I always thought that a rasberry was a large bruised scrape that I got from sliding in a baseball game.

I like yours better!
    kshhhh shhh Only one man would DARE give me the raspberry!
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I'm a big guy. 44 inch waist, 285 and I can carry without an ounce of difficulty. My modes of carry are IWB (not my favorite but I can do it.) OWB and pocket.
    48inch waist here and 285lbs. I carry IWB most of the time without any major problems.

5:11 300 lb. Pokett carry PT145. IWB Makarov, or CZ52 at about 4 oclock. No problem

6'2" and 245 lbs........ Carry the Glock 30 in the SuperTuck as my main carry at 4:30 -- 5:00. All of us larger guys have a sweet spot somewhere that will provide optimum comfort. You just have to work at it. And after all............. its tuckable.

Also now carry the Kel-Tec PF-9 (sooooo flat and thin) in a Galco PRO460 pocket protector leather holster. Carry the PF-9 in the front pants pocket a lot. Have also carried the Ruger LCP in the same Galco. I love this style of carry even with jeans.

Works great for us "bigger than life" guys.
    "No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he is vigilant in its preservation" General Douglas MacArthur

Glock 30, S&W model 29-2 44 magnum, Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum, S&W 38 special airweight, NAA 22 mag, PF9, and 1 patriotic wife with her CC permit.

Quote Originally Posted by JustInCase View Post
    G19 in crossbreed supertuck or Blackhawk Serpa...

KT P3AT in uncle mikes pocket holster in right back pocket...
    took these pics the first day i got it. it sits a lil farther back now...

I'm working on getting rid of the gut but it just ain't easy... i luv food...
    Last edited by JustInCase; March 10th, 2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links