Too fat to carry concealed?

This is a discussion on Too fat to carry concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been wondering, how do really overweight people CC? I admit I am fat but not as much as some I know that carry. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Too fat to carry concealed?

I have been wondering, how do really overweight people CC? I admit I am fat but not as much as some I know that carry. One was complaining to me the other day that he cannot SmartCarry, because his belly is in the the way, he can't use a shoulder rig because he can't reach that far around, he has trouble IWB because of his "muffin top" (which is more like a whole loaf), fanny pack holsters don't come in his size, and belly bands get stretched out quickly on him. He asked me (since I am fat too) if I had any suggestions and I was at a loss. I IWB my .45 and pocket my 9MM and don't think about it much. Do any of you other hefty CCers have any suggestions? I tried a search but came up with almost nothing. I am going to suggest one of those biker vests with the built in pocket for that to him next time I see him but I'd like a couple more ideas to give him also.

2. Remove Ads

super tuck

As a 300# short guy I have found the super tuck with the extended top part works great to keep the roll out of the way.

I am 6' 2" and 240, so i am HEFTY and I dont feel comfortable IWB, so i just pocket carry a pf-9, Now when I know i will be on my feet, I will carry my sr-9 IWB, but it is not comfortable when sitting, I wear my pants under my gut and it has something to do with the bend point that makes my gun try to gouge me?????
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

6' x 265# very comfortable in a Sparks VM2.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Pocket carry in a pocket holster I would think?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Thumbs up 5'11" 300lb

G19 in crossbreed supertuck or Blackhawk Serpa...

KT P3AT in uncle mikes pocket holster in right back pocket...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

On the other side of the coin, I'm 6"1' and 150 pounds, and I have always had trouble concealing a firearm due to my "thinness": Almost anything I carry, in almost any type of holster, seems to stick-out from my thin frame. So, it's interesting that even heavy framed people have different, but equally problematic, issues with concealability of a handgun...

-Bill

Depending upon your definition of 'fat'...a little over-weight (according to the charts), pleasing plump, appendix carrying in the rain and your gun stays dry...?????
    I'm on the round side and I find that I'm able to comfortably carry IWB/SOB (over the kidney, actually) very well, but I have also gone from IWB at 4:00 to OWB at 4:00, I find it to work really well for me, and is a bit more comfortable.
    From this... FIST, INC. / IWB
    To this... FIST, INC. / OWB
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

6'1" and 275. XD9SC in an OWB kydex paddle. Very comfortable.

How heavy? You can get a fanny pack lengthen at a shoe repair store.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

I'm beached orca fat. Currently at about 390lbs and 60 inch waist. Supertuck at about 4 o'clock. It does a great job until I bend over since I primarily wear black t-shirts. Even then, most people aren't going to notice, they just see a bulge that could be anything to the untrained eye. For some reason if I had to deeply conceal, I would wear a button down shirt casually open over it. The important thing is to wear shirts that aren't tight, which us fatties should do anyways because nobody wants to see the outline of our moobs......well almost everyone. My woman is a pervert, bless her.

OK, um, back on topic. If his whole loaf muffin top is a problem, then that means he is wearing his pants under his belly and letting it hang over his pants. The solution is to accept his fatness and buy pants that fit over his gut. Clip suspenders worn under your shirt become your friend.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

cj
    How about a Wilderness Safepacker? It's a flexible enough design to latch onto an existing belt (and many other options).

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    I'm beached orca fat. Currently at about 390lbs and 60 inch waist.
    More PT, Drill Sergeant! More PT!

I doubt it. Nothing to do with physical attributes. CC is a state of mind. That's all there is to it.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I doubt it. Nothing to do with physical attributes. CC is a state of mind. That's all there is to it.
    Exactly!
    Know your body and your best hiding spot. I have the reverse problem, 5' 4" and 125 pounds.
    Understand your shape, and find the "sweet spot".
    Thank God for frontal uhm, fullness, appendix carry may be an alternative?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links