Must notify at home ?

This is a discussion on Must notify at home ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If an officer of the city or state comes to your door or onto your property are you required to tell them you are armed? ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Must notify at home ?

Must notify at home ?

If an officer of the city or state comes to your door or onto your property are you required to tell them you are armed? I am only talking about must notify states.

I only bring this up because a cop dropped by one day to ask me if I might have seen something that had happened in the neighborhood. I assume this would be considered official and not a casual chat so it got me to thinking about it. I was in the open garage at the time. Does being on your property outside, or inside make any difference?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Not in Florida...

Depends upon the individual state...if you must notify in a car, then I would assume you would need to notify at home (when approached 'officially').OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In a must notify state I'd err on the side of catuion.

What about a state that allows CC W/out a permit on your property?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Depends upon the individual state...if you must notify in a car, then I would assume you would need to notify at home (when approached 'officially').OMO
    From my reading I would think this to be the case in Okla. Only trouble is define when it's official business. In my case I assumed it was official because he was asking about some vandalism but he never said it was official.

Michael

I think here they would expect you to be armed on your own property,either concealed or open carry no permit required.I had a Deputy approached me in my yard,my Jeep was similar to a vehicle that was involved in a fatal car jacking about a mile from my house,I think I advised him I was armed,and that my vehicle was parked and I was the only one with a key and access to it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Depends on how your states notify laws read.. Some states "Must notify an officers when approached in an official capacity" etc etc..

In SC, you may legally carry a handgun, either concealed or open, on your property. If you are ASKED FOR ID (as in a traffic stop) you must present your CWP and inform the officer you are armed.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    From my reading I would think this to be the case in Okla. Only trouble is define when it's official business. In my case I assumed it was official because he was asking about some vandalism but he never said it was official.

Michael
    Not to be rude, but what part of an officer, in performance of his duty, asking about a crime being commited does not sound like "official duty"? It's not like he stopped at your door to ask to use the bathroom.
    Would you expect him to have to preceed every "official" duty with a statement: "This is official duty."

In general, if an LEO comes to your door, it's probably for a good reaason and for official business.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

In Minnesota, as a permit holder, we are required to notify only when asked. Since it is legal to carry on your own property here without a permit, I would say no notification is necessary. The difficulty is though, they don't list case law along with the statutes.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I don't think you HAVE to inform them in Ohio if they come to your door but it never hurts... I'm sure the LEO would appreciate if you did.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    ... I'm sure the LEO would appreciate if you did.
    Who cares what they appreciate?

I'm not telling. If I tell, the cop might want me to disarm. And at that point what if the reason the cop has responded pops out of the shrubs and attacks? The cop is under no obligation to protect me.

For my safety, I'm not telling. Let the cop worry about his safety.

Well, YOU might. If the cop accidentally discovers your unproclaimed weapon, you might be eating some dirt and wearing chrome bracelets until he gets things sorted out.
    Last edited by Keltyke; March 8th, 2010 at 01:20 PM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post

I'm not telling. If I tell, the cop might want me to disarm. And at that point what if the reason the cop has responded pops out of the shrubs and attacks? The cop is under no obligation to protect me.

Well, OK then... but you're probably not going to like the outcome of that.

An official contact is an official contact no matter where it occurs. About the only time a contact is not official is a passing hello or small talk in line at the gas station types of contacts.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post

Why so jaded?

Just cause a cop isn't there to be your friend doesn't mean he deserves any less respect. I have met some real non huggy type cops in my life but I still am respectful to any cop that comes up to me.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links