What do you do when you go somewhere you don't know if guns are allowed? - Page 2

What do you do when you go somewhere you don't know if guns are allowed?

This is a discussion on What do you do when you go somewhere you don't know if guns are allowed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SnareMan So what do you all do in these sorts of situations? If you're going somewhere new do you not carry, or ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    So what do you all do in these sorts of situations? If you're going somewhere new do you not carry, or be a true stalwart and just say I'm not going into that free fire zone when you get there with your friends?
    I check the Ohioans for Concealed Carry "Do not patronize while armed" database.

Do Not Patronize While Armed Database

If I don't find it there, I may ask in the OFCC forums if anyone knows.

Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • View forum - Criminal Protection Zones (CPZs)

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have changed my tune a little on the whole signs thing. If there is an Ohio regulated sign in plain sight I'll avoid that business unless I have to go in, which case I would go to my car and disarm. If the sign is in some really stupid place out of sight then that is the business's fault... ...
    Yes I have seen some doozies... all the following businesses I have been to armed. No places serve alcohol. I had no clue they where against my right to carry.
    • At a UPS store the gun buster sign is stuck on the lower right side of a window panel 4.5' to the right of the entrance. Only noticed it when I was waiting for my ride.
    • Downtown UPS hub sign is a handwritten sign screwed onto the awning...look up or you miss it.
    • local pizza hut gun buster sign is posted on their cork board behind the register part of it is covered with other posted specials and papers.
    • A local Chinese restaurant has a hand written and crudely drawn gun buster sign posted on a window facing the wrong way and covered with a plant...
    • I bought a salon gift card for my mother and noticed a gun buster sign posted to the INSIDE of the door when I left...this way you know next time?

Losing the license is easy...keeping a license is getting difficult, it might not be long before a possession misdemeanor prevents you from renewing your license.If you decide to go in anyway then that is up to you. Just make darn sure they aren't serving alcohol.

I personally will go out of my way and even open my wallet a bit wider to patronize businesses that haven't drank the anti gun koolaid.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan
    ....I can get a misdemeanor if I get caught with one...
    concealed
    One entry found.

Main Entry: con·ceal
    Pronunciation: \kən-ˈsēl\
    Function: transitive verb
    Etymology: Middle English concelen, from Anglo-French conceler, from Latin concelare, from com- + celare to hide — more at hell
    Date: 14th century

1 : to prevent disclosure or recognition of <conceal the truth>
    2 : to place out of sight <concealed himself behind the door>
    synonyms see hide

— con·ceal·able \-ˈsē-lə-bəl\ adjective
    — con·ceal·ing·ly \-ˈsē-liŋ-lē\ adverb
    — con·ceal·ment \-ˈsē(ə)l-mənt\ noun

Source - Concealed - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

- Merriam & Webster

"Concealed is concealed." - Emrah
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sign's don't mean anything here so I don't worry about it. I follow Colorado Statute and Federal laws other than that, concealed is concealed as everyone says.

Now if signs were binding, I'd be following the law and disarm if I really had to go into a place with a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    I'm slowly getting used to the places around here that don't allow guns to be brought in. In general, I prefer to carry when I'm not going to work where I can't have it or on a date or something. (I don't think she is ready for that)

So say I'm going with a friend to the local outlet mall. Some of the stores there might allow and others might not. Once you're out walking about the stores its not very practical to go back to your car to put your gun away and I don't want to tell my friend, parents, etc, that I can't go in there with you because I'm carrying.

So what do you all do in these sorts of situations? If you're going somewhere new do you not carry, or be a true stalwart and just say I'm not going into that free fire zone when you get there with your friends?

Shut up, dress well, hide the gun and go on with life...

GM
    It varies from state to state. In Florida those signs means nothing (not talking about federal properties, schools, and other places there it is illegal to carry). However, if for some reason they realize that you are CCing and they ask you to leave, then you better do it right away, otherwise you are armed trespassing. Handgunlaw.us , http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf have some information concerning Ohio, but you better check by yourself that the info is correct and complete:

[Excerpt ]

Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License

Note: ODOT is saying that Rest Areas that are Visitors Centers do not fall under the new law and that only regular Rest Areas do. If you see a sign that says “No Firearms Allowed” Handgunlaw.us believes you should not carry there. We will keep you updated on any changes.

Sec. 2923.126. (B) … prohibited places.
    From the Ohio Attorney General
    The law sets forth several places where your license does not allow you to carry a handgun. Under the law, you may not carry a concealed handgun into the following places:
    • Police stations
    • Sheriffs’ offices
    • Highway Patrol posts. Premises controlled by the Ohio Bureau • of Criminal Identification
    and Investigation.
    • Correctional institutions or other detention facilities
    • Airport terminals or commercial airplanes.
    • Institutions for the care of mentally ill persons.
    • Courthouses or buildings in which a courtroom is located.
    • Universities, unless locked in a motor vehicle or in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle.
    • Places of worship, unless the place of worship permits otherwise.
    • Child day-care centers.
    • Licensed D-Liquor Permit premises in which any person is consuming liquor. Concealed firearms are
    banned in premises for which a D permit has been issued or in an open air arena for which a permit of that
    nature has been issued. There are some exceptions to this prohibition. The prohibition does not apply to
    principal holder of D permit as long as principal holder is not consuming liquor. The prohibition does not
    apply to an agent or employee of the principal holder who is also a peace officer who is also off duty.
    Possession of a concealed firearm is allowed in a retail store with a D-6 or D-8 permit as long as concealed
    carry license holder is not consuming liquor. Class D permits are generally issued to an establishment that
    sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. In any event, be certain of the type of permit and whether
    liquor is being consumed before you enter with a concealed handgun.
    • Government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles,
    or rest facility and is not a courthouse or a building or structure in which a courtroom
    is located.
    • School safety zones. A “school safety zone” includes a school, school building, school premises, school
    activity, and school bus. For purposes of this statute, a school includes everything up to the property
    boundary. The law generally forbids the carrying of a handgun in a school
    safety zone unless all of the following apply:
    •You do not enter a school building, premises or activity; and
    •You have a concealed carry license or temporary emergency license; and
    You are not otherwise in one of the forbidden places listed above and detailed in R.C. 2923.126 (B);
    or
    •You are a driver or passenger in a motor vehicle immediately in the process of picking up or
    dropping off a child, and you are not otherwise in violation of the laws governing the transportation
    of firearms in motor vehicles.
    State Admin Rule 128-4-02
    (10) Firearms or other weapons, concealed or otherwise, are prohibited within the capitol buildings and
    grounds without the express written permission of the board.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    concealed
    One entry found.

Main Entry: con·ceal
    Pronunciation: \kən-ˈsēl\
    Function: transitive verb
    Etymology: Middle English concelen, from Anglo-French conceler, from Latin concelare, from com- + celare to hide — more at hell
    Date: 14th century

1 : to prevent disclosure or recognition of <conceal the truth>
    2 : to place out of sight <concealed himself behind the door>
    synonyms see hide

— con·ceal·able \-ˈsē-lə-bəl\ adjective
    — con·ceal·ing·ly \-ˈsē-liŋ-lē\ adverb
    — con·ceal·ment \-ˈsē(ə)l-mənt\ noun

Source - Concealed - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

- Merriam & Webster

"Concealed is concealed." - Emrah
    Right, until something completely unforeseen happens and suddenly you are outed. Maybe it's a woman standing in line behind you who bumps into you and feels your gun. Maybe you experience a medical emergency and the EMTs discover your gun while they are working on you.

A few weeks ago, a grandfather brought something to eat for his grandson before basketball practice at the middle school. Granddad decided to shoot a few hoops with grandson. Gun flies out of jacket pocket and discharges after hitting floor. Oops! Outed!

Here is my thought on the sign issue. Whether binding or not, it is the owners/managements right to not have guns in his establishment. The sign means the same to me as being asked to leave if they find out I am carrying. It is my obligation to not enter those businesses. If I am with friends and we go to dinner and a sign is posted, I tell them I'm going someplace else. Sometimes my friends follow other times not.

Mike

In the Kansas/Missouri area, I believe all signs have the law behind them, but in Missouri, some places don't have to have signs for it to be prohibited. Different in Kansas.

It makes it easy when on the Kansas side of the border because you can just look for a sign and know what 's allowed.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

Quote Originally Posted by rtroha View Post
    Right, until something completely unforeseen happens and suddenly you are outed. Maybe it's a woman standing in line behind you who bumps into you and feels your gun. Maybe you experience a medical emergency and the EMTs discover your gun while they are working on you.

A few weeks ago, a grandfather brought something to eat for his grandson before basketball practice at the middle school. Granddad decided to shoot a few hoops with grandson. Gun flies out of jacket pocket and discharges after hitting floor. Oops! Outed!
    Medical emergency aside, persons bumping into you means nothing.
    Being bumped and hitting a lump does not immediately cause folk to leap to mental imagery of 'gun'.
    Now days it is quite common for folk to be wearing all manner of whatever on and around their belt line. Even being hugged does not often cause alarm and folk to leap to such thoughts as without other secondary insight. We've all been bumped in public while carrying. Big woop.

As to your granddad example that is just plain stupidity and forgetfulness.

Stupidity to not consider purchasing a holster that have very good retention as for persons who normally engage in vigorous activity while carrying. I was discussing just this topic on Saturday with two fellow instructors as related to civilian concealed carry technique and instruction...And relating how I horse around with my own kids while carrying and will _test_ said holsters at home as empty before (!) going live with them out in public.

Forgetfulness because he quite simply forgot that he shouldn't be acting that way at all...Never mind that it is against federal laws to possess a firearm on K-12 school grounds (!).
    A double dunce scenario there. Oh, and his gun wasn't of drop safe quality design & construction either. : |

Back to having a health emergency/medical crisis in the immediate being armed will be the least of your concerns.
    As long as you are properly licensed and had not been prior in the act of acting criminally (such as a robbery attempt) then being "outed" as such is not a problem.
    You will be removed from the location anyway as a function of receiving medical care. Display your license (or it will be found in your wallet) as you are under care and move on with life and staying alive.
    EMT and responding police are versed in handling persons as armed in need of life support management.

Again, 'concealed' is "concealed".

- Janq

"Remember to keep your self alive. There is nothing more important than that." - Afeni Shakur
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I always assume freedom unless I know otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Back to having a health emergency/medical crisis in the immediate being armed will be the least of your concerns.
    As long as you are properly licensed and had not been prior in the act of acting criminally (such as a robbery attempt) then being "outed" as such is not a problem.
    "not a problem" unless you find yourself with a criminal charge after you are released from the hospital. Don't count on the officer cutting you some slack because of your illness.

Several years ago, I was struck by a car while riding my bicycle home from work. Dummy was not wearing his helmet and suffered head trauma. I was hauled away in an ambulance in a semi-conscious state.

When I was released from the hospital several days later, my wife revealed to me that the officer had interviewed the driver and his passengers, accepted their version of what happened, wrote me a traffic ticket and personally delivered it to the emergency room nurse. The nurse put it in my personal effects bag and told my wife about it.

There is at least one case where a licensee got caught with her gun at a posted hospital. The fact that she was a cancer patient didn't stop her from getting hit with a criminal trespass charge.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Follow the law.

Rules that do not have the force of law are merely suggestions, and may be ignored. Let the law be your guide.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Yeah, but that is not the same thing at all.
    Criminal trespass as a charge is a completely different manner of issue and handling.

- Janq

I go somewhere else.

If I can't go somewhere else, since Florida is a non-binding state, I just go anyway. I don't support those institutions by spending any money, though. If my fiancee or her friends choose to, that's their problem.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links