What do you do when you go somewhere you don't know if guns are allowed?

This is a discussion on What do you do when you go somewhere you don't know if guns are allowed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm slowly getting used to the places around here that don't allow guns to be brought in. In general, I prefer to carry when I'm ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I'm slowly getting used to the places around here that don't allow guns to be brought in. In general, I prefer to carry when I'm not going to work where I can't have it or on a date or something. (I don't think she is ready for that)

So say I'm going with a friend to the local outlet mall. Some of the stores there might allow and others might not. Once you're out walking about the stores its not very practical to go back to your car to put your gun away and I don't want to tell my friend, parents, etc, that I can't go in there with you because I'm carrying.

So what do you all do in these sorts of situations? If you're going somewhere new do you not carry, or be a true stalwart and just say I'm not going into that free fire zone when you get there with your friends?

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Are signs prohibiting guns legally binding in Ohio? If not, then I would say concealed is concealed and no one needs to know. If you get made, they can ask you to leave. If you need it, they will be glad you are there.

And if sign are binding, then they are probably required to be obviously posted, so if you are going somewhere new, just be observant on your way in, and if you see a sign, leave. If you have to go in, then head back to the car and dissarm. But I would not leave it at home just because someone might not like that you cary.
    Walk softly ...

Yea, unfortunately they are binding here so I think I can get a misdemeanor if I get caught with one. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it and just carry everywhere.

As I mentioned though, its usually not practical to make the big trek back to the car. If I'm just heading into a restaurant from the parking lot, not big deal as my car is close, but in something like a big outdoor outlet mall you likely aren't parked very close.

There probably isn't really any one good answer here. Just curious how everyone deals with this sort of situation in states where the signs are binding.

Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    I'm slowly getting used to the places around here that don't allow guns to be brought in. In general, I prefer to carry when I'm not going to work where I can't have it or on a date or something. (I don't think she is ready for that)

So say I'm going with a friend to the local outlet mall. Some of the stores there might allow and others might not. Once you're out walking about the stores its not very practical to go back to your car to put your gun away and I don't want to tell my friend, parents, etc, that I can't go in there with you because I'm carrying.

So what do you all do in these sorts of situations? If you're going somewhere new do you not carry, or be a true stalwart and just say I'm not going into that free fire zone when you get there with your friends?
    Local outlet mall?? Keep it concealed...

Unless the place where I am going is spelled out in law as a prohibited place (i.e. Federal property), I keep it concealed. It is no one's business what I have in my pockets or on my belt. Basically, wherever the public is, that is where I carry...

Rather than re-hash, see this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...usinesses.html
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Like gays in the military--"don't ask, don't tell". It's concealed, why look for trouble--at least in SC, stores, malls etc MUST have the legally-defined sign posted--no sign no obligation on your part to do anything but CC.

I would NEVER advocate anyone to break the law, however:

As more and more mess happens in more and more places, I become less and less concerned about the pure legalities of carrying concealed.

Concealed is concealed.

I'm sure the thugs who walk around observe those very same signs, right?

Emrah

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Here in AZ the signs have no force of law; they are a request of the operator. (federal buildings exempted) So I don't even look. If they are binding in Ohio you're in a whole 'nother world, though, so I would scope it out in advance and not break the law.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

In a pinch, without having to go back to the car, etc, I have excused myself from others and said I need to make a phone call or i am tired of walking so much,etc. At a shopping venue there are usually benches outside so sit there and wait and get some fresh air. Remember, the concealed handgun is for your personal protection and maybe that of others. Be discrete, devious or sinister if you have to. Being seriously injured or dead in a filthy gutter sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    In a pinch, without having to go back to the car, etc, I have excused myself from others and said I need to make a phone call or i am tired of walking so much,etc. At a shopping venue there are usually benches outside so sit there and wait and get some fresh air. Remember, the concealed handgun is for your personal protection and maybe that of others. Be discrete, devious or sinister if you have to. Being seriously injured or dead in a filthy gutter sucks.
    Ah Ha! So that is why we see so many old men sitting on those benches.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Here in AZ the signs have no force of law; they are a request of the operator. (federal buildings exempted) So I don't even look. If they are binding in Ohio you're in a whole 'nother world, though, so I would scope it out in advance and not break the law.
    Same here in OK. They aren't legally binding, so I don't even care if a sign is posted. If it's a place I can't carry I know about it beforehand and plan accordingly. I can leave it in my vehicle no matter what, so I make that place either the first or last that I visit.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    If I REALLY don't know - no obvious signs or other to tell - I carry.
    For God, Family and Country!

I don't worry about it; it is concealed, which means just that.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    I would NEVER advocate anyone to break the law, however:

As more and more mess happens in more and more places, I become less and less concerned about the pure legalities of carrying concealed.
    +1, I don't carry in places specifically named in law. I don't look for signs, and don't pay attention to them if I do see them. But I also properly conceal my weapon.

I agree with "concealed is concealed". Here in Louisiana, the laws are very vague concerning signs. Actually, there is no signage law to speak of. I think that if the shop owner finds out that you are carrying, I "think" all he can do is ask you to leave.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links