The best thing about quitting smoking - Page 4

The best thing about quitting smoking

This is a discussion on The best thing about quitting smoking within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the good thing about not smoking---saves more time for drinking,.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    the good thing about not smoking---saves more time for drinking,..
    HELL YES I'M READY--DON'T I LOOK READY. !!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Congrats Rollo, keep on going my friend. I quit Feb 27, 2009 cold turkey, just put them down. I was tired of every winter coming down with Brochitus? and then Brochial? Pneumonia (to tired to look up the spelling, my apologies). My first free year of them, I feel dang good about that.

As you said also, I've been able to buy a lot more ammo this year. Whenever the wife decides to stop (her choice), I'll be sitting good.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I used Chantix, and it really worked! 2 years now( still want to at times though, it's a REALLY bad habit!) I agree, I can now spend that money on guns..Thats my attaboy..

I tried and tried again to quit during my academy but was unsucessful. Then one day about a year ago I smoked the last Marlboro in the pack and spent a couple days on vacation with my family, who I did not smoke around nor were they aware that I had ever smoked. After those couple days of no smoking I never had an urge or craving again and still haven't had one to this day.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

just think on how many guns you can buy now.

I just started working on my savings account. I will say that chantix has helped alot, I am down from 1 to 1 1/2 packs a day to 3-6 cig a day and 0 snuff. Now to beat those last few cigs in the dirt. If you have almost 0 will power as I do then chantix is the way to go
    Led By Love Of Country

Chantix made quitting easier for me as well. I do have to say coming off the Chantix was harder than the cigs mentally and physically. I do encourage you to ween yourself as directed. If you have any questions about the side effect I had coming off feel free to pm.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Chantix made quitting easier for me as well. I do have to say coming off the Chantix was harder than the cigs mentally and physically. I do encourage you to ween yourself as directed. If you have any questions about the side effect I had coming off feel free to pm.
    I just started taking it and did not know that...thanks for the info and heads up
    Led By Love Of Country

Congrats! I never smoked, but my wife has quit numerous times and has always gone back. What I cannot comprehend is how she could have quit through TWO pregnancies and still ended up going back.

Glad to hear that you're going to live longer and are saving some cash too! Congratulations again on a HUGE accomlishment!!
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

nicotine addiction: may kill you
    gun totin' addiction: may save your life

good call, Rollo
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

How'd you quit smokin? i been trying to do that for the longest but i like my black & milds and dont want to give em up
    XD 9 sc
    Ruger p95

Every time I try, some rocket scientist manager makes some colossal policy change or worse yet, "I have an idea...."

I was down to 5 cigs a day from 17 fall of last year (going good for 3 months), then the collective "Red Hats" came up with a plan to work in another project on weekends. Whammo, back to 17 & up.

I have 2 vices, Cigs & Coffee. Take away either, somebody is gonna get hurt. In my career, I am gonna die of black lung if I smoke or not. $120 a month for me. I'm OK with that.

Good luck!
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Congrats Rollo, I quit when they went up to 50 cents a pack. It a hard fight to be sure, but hang in there you'll make it. Never did see the money return thing. About the same time there came a little lady into my life and she been here ever sense.
    Better to have and not need then to need and not have!!!!
    EDC G22+Clips=SECURITY

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Haven't smoked in 2 months but still get cravings so i guess I'm kind of still working on it.
    After I quit smoking, I used a sure-fire method (for me) of fighting the craving for a cigarette:

I'd take a nice, deep, full lungful of air. Reminded myself of how satisfying it was to feel that I really got enough oxygen.

That stopped the interest in a cigarette every time. That's what had prompted me to quit - the feeling that no matter how big a breath I took, I still didn't feel like I was getting the oxygen my body was asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by pretty ruger View Post
    How'd you quit smokin? i been trying to do that for the longest but i like my black & milds and dont want to give em up
    I used nictoene gum. I decided to quit when I had about 5 smokes left in a pack. I walked into walkgreens, bought a months supply of the gum, smoked the last of the 5 before I went to bed and then in the morning started on the gum. I used the gum for about a month and then switched to regular sugar free gum. It has worked well so far.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links