OK should I have done this.

This is a discussion on OK should I have done this. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by roalho If you're really that unhappy with their service, you could try doing what we did. Cancel it, and get an antenna. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OK should I have done this.

Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    If you're really that unhappy with their service, you could try doing what we did. Cancel it, and get an antenna. The local stations broadcast over-the-air for free still, you know. In HD even. Free HD! Plus, you would never have to hand anybody anything!

I haven't paid for TV in over a year now and I couldn't be happier. Watched the superbowl in HD, and all the major network programming as well.
    My immediate thought. Just over a year for me too. Not sure if I'll ever go back.

Oh, and I would have just shown her my DL. It's not that I care who knows I carry. I don't. It just answers her question better IMO.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

Seems like an inappropriate action. You seem to have gone in with an existing beef with the cable company. Were you hoping to get a better deal on cable with a less than sutble notification that there might be a firearm present in the situation?

I'm with everyone else; No....Do not do this.

I'd show a library card or utility bill as proof of ID/address before I would real world display _any_ state issued carry license/permit.

Just because you can/it's lawful doesn't mean you should/it's right.
    Use your best judgment...Your very best.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I guess I had not considered the itemidation aspect. I was really just trying to point out that the requirement to show ID to pay a bill in person, when id is not needed to pay by mail seems silly to me.
    I asked about the increase in cost as an after thought after the bill was payed so I wasn't thinking about it when I showed her the ID but I do see where she might have still had that in the back of her mind.

Had she asked a supervisor to step over and told him I was threating her with the ID I doubt it would have been an issue unless she thought I could give her a nasty paper cut.

Still I guess I made a big mistake.

I don't really think her knowing I had a CPL is an issue, unless a disgruntled customer walked in shooting while I was still there. OF course since its a no gun zone we all know that couldn't happen.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Well, in Oklahoma, just as a point of interest: If you are applying for a new drivers license you need 2 forms of ID. On the wall in the drivers license application office is a list of acceptable IDs, one of which is:

Oklahoma gun license

So it is OK with the state, anyway...
    Don't know about others.
    do you wonder why some people are careful enough to state things like "in many places" as opposed to "in all places"?...just as a point of interest....

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I guess I had not considered the itemidation aspect. I was really just trying to point out that the requirement to show ID to pay a bill in person, when id is not needed to pay by mail seems silly to me.
    I asked about the increase in cost as an after thought after the bill was payed so I wasn't thinking about it when I showed her the ID but I do see where she might have still had that in the back of her mind.

Had she asked a supervisor to step over and told him I was threating her with the ID I doubt it would have been an issue unless she thought I could give her a nasty paper cut.

Still I guess I made a big mistake.

I don't really think her knowing I had a CPL is an issue, unless a disgruntled customer walked in shooting while I was still there. OF course since its a no gun zone we all know that couldn't happen.
    When paying online, you have to use a credit or debit card, both of which need secure info to be processed. A check, in person, needs similar.

And when you have other options to show for ID (which most people would assume), it could be miscontrued as a threat to show a pistol license. It tells this person...'Hi. I have a gun.' What they make of that is anybody's guess but it doesnt make any of us look good.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Ted,

Next time you have a complaint/issue/problem/annoyance with some other person or as in this case entity & policy, do not think to include and interject your gun/gun rights into the equation.

As by US law inmost every state an act of assault is defined as being a person being placed in to a state of fear by another. Intimidation is along the same lines and is also an arrestable crime.
    These days wackos are walking around everywhere harboring issues and ill will with people and organizations as well as policys over all manner of item.
    You walking in and acting exactly as you describe as also included with your own stated thought process and reasoning would not be viewed well by all (dare I say most) LEOs.

Imagine if this woman had been an anti-gun person or one who is gun neutral BUT is the nervous type or had experienced unbeknown to you some kind of crazy man with a gun situation in her life as prior (at work...per a customer!)...And she excused herself from you for a moment, to call the cops!

Now what you got?
    A whole heap of annoyance if not trouble.
    For what? For why? Nothing and no good reason.
    Which is exactly what a responding LEO would ask of you.

Just as you have right to act how ever you might wish and allowance to think what ever you might think.
    Others have same and equal right and allowance too.

Next time you have an issue with a policy write a letter or e-mail to the entity.
    And always as it goes with carry and licensing/permission please do use your very best judgment.

For all you know after you walked out that woman may have talked about you and the interaction negatively to her coworkers, supervisor and then gone home to relate same to her family & friends.
    Creepy/crazy/cocky/kooky man with a state issue gun permit/license...And possibly OMG eek!, a gun on his person.

You represent not just yourself and your own views, but that of US _all_ including me and everyone else among this forum and off it...Who has a gun and a license/permit and/or who might wish to secure same and exercise similar rights as into the future.

Always think to use your very best judgment.

- Janq

"Perception is everything."- An old timey truism
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I really get upset with my cable provider. They always are raising rates and their billing practices are unfair in my opinion. I have been billed a late fee onservices that were billed a month in advance!
    Besides that they do have a "No Weapons of any kind" sign on their door at the office. The way my monthly budget works out I sometimes stop at the office to pay my bill in person to avoid their "Your not a month early with the payment so we charge you" fee.
    Anyways the other thing that annoys me is I can send a check in to pay my bill and they assume it's from me. But I stop in to pay in person and they require ID before they accept my check. I really appreciate the fact that they are making sure that some imposter doesn't come in and pay my bill behind my back!
    Ted:

This kind of thing makes my eyeballs explode, and I must admit that if my check was refused in person but accepted by mail, there would be a loud conversation with the local manager in the lobby.

Having been a business owner for over 30 years, I cannot understand why they make paying for services rendered so difficult. And it seems to be more prevalent in the large companies like cable providers. I could understand making it difficult for non payers, buy why antagonize good customers?

I'll stop myself from typing the rest of my rant. It would go on for a long time.

Capt. Art

ps: I would not have shown any id other than my check

I really get upset with my cable provider.

Anyways the other thing that annoys me...

I get into these "moods sometimes...

"Relax, your now safer, since I am here"...
    Sorry to have to say this Ted, but in my very humble opinion you just may not have a calm enough personality () to carry a weapon in the first place.

-Bill

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    "Should I have done this?"

It's not something I would do, but does it violate a law? No. What's the worst thing that could happen? Police are called and find out you weren't carrying in the criminal-protection-zone. Big deal.

What I would have done is arranged payment by EFT straight from my bank account to eliminate the entire concept of hassle here. If I didn't like something about cable I would switch to a satellite provider. (I have actually done both.)

When you feel yourself getting into one of those moods, it's time to take your meds. You should not run around trying to disturb/intimidate others(as they may perceive it).
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Another plan probably would have been better, but this far down into the thread...you already have guessed that...

I pay all my bills on line and it avoids stamps, and other hassles. From the moment a bill is opened...two minutes later, it's paid.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you have to ask.....then no.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

No! Thats your business not any stranger..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    If you have to ask.....then no.
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

You already knew the answer.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links